• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Particularly sweet victory

Marlene

I have two bottles of champagne to decide upon for a particularly sweet victory for us. Which should I choose? Pol Rogers or Veuve? :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Veuve.

Not cause there's anything wrong with Pol Roger, just that Veuve is my favourite everyday champagne! Enjoy the champagne and the victory!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I have two bottles of champagne to decide upon for a particularly sweet victory for us.  Which should I choose?  Pol Rogers or Veuve? :smile:

why not both :wink:

Because I'd fall over? :biggrin:

Marlene

Assuming they are both NV bottlings, it probably doesn't matter much. If it were me, I'd go with Pol Roger. The latest releases of NV Veuve do nothing for me. I'm finding them lacking any style and even a bit on the sweet side.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Completely in agreement with Brad. Pol Roger has some depth and finesse. Veuve, unless it's La Grande Dame (unfortunately that doesn't happen nearly often enough) just leaves me cold. It's so ordinary.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Assuming they are both NV bottlings, it probably doesn't matter much.  If it were me, I'd go with Pol Roger.  The latest releases of NV Veuve do nothing for me.  I'm finding them lacking any style and even a bit on the sweet side.

Great info, thanks Brad. I've been drinking the reserve lately as that's what's in the house and haven't bought any for awhile so I'll keep that in mind.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I know nothing about champagne. The Pol Roger is a Reserve, - no date that I can see, and the Veuve is a Ponsardin whatever that means. :blink:

Marlene

I know nothing about champagne.  The Pol Roger is a Reserve, - no date that I can see, and the Veuve is a Ponsardin whatever that means. :blink:

Marlene:

Full name on the label of any Veuve Clicquot will say "Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin". It's just part of the name. Does it say anything else on the label? Is it the "Yellow label" non-vintage stuff? Does it have any indication of a vintage on it?

If the Pol Roger is a Reserve, go for that!!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It's an orangey label on the Veuve but it dosn't say anything else.

Marlene

It's probably the entry level NV then. I call it yellow label, but it has gotten more orange of late, it seems. It's OK and I sell it by the bottle at my restaurant because it's well recognized. I suspect your Pol Roger Reserve will be more impressive, so if that's what you're after I'd open that one.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I would go for the Pol Roger with no second thoughts.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I know nothing about champagne.  The Pol Roger is a Reserve, - no date that I can see, and the Veuve is a Ponsardin whatever that means. :blink:

Marlene, I recently visited the Veuve house in Reims so I'll share what I learned about the name. You may know this already, I did not.

Veuve means widow in French. The widow's married last name was Clicquot, her maiden name Ponsardin. When she decided to keep her husbands champagne house running she added her maiden name to the lable. The widow Cliquot Ponsardin...

So when we say we have a bottle of Vueve, in french we are saying we have a bottle of widow! :raz:

Thanks ms foodie. I actually did not know that. I don't mind Veuve, but since this is a fairly special occassion, I think the Pol Rogers would be fitting. It's not quite special enough for the Cristal that's down there. :biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene~ I agree wholeheartedly with Brad, Katie et all who say to go with the Pol Roger.....a much better choice IMHO. I used to drink the Yellow Label (and thank you Katie, for mentioning that it's become more of an orange...I thought I was getting so old I was forgetting my labels :hmmm: ) all the time and Katie is spot on when she says it's "so ordinary". Nothing for a special occasion! Enjoy, and congratulations on whatever event merits a good bottle of sparkly stuff....of course, for me, just waking up in the morning is a pretty good excuse :laugh:

I have two bottles of champagne to decide upon for a particularly sweet victory for us.  Which should I choose?  Pol Rogers or Veuve? :smile:

If you're dealing with the non-vintage - well I prefer Veuve (have had both in one meal - and I think the Veuve is a bit more dry - and I just like the way it tastes better). But it's purely a matter of taste. And they're really not far apart in quality (although NV Veuve tends to be more expensive).

Has anyone here ever had the Pol Roger Churchill? My husband had been looking for it for a long time. Finally found a bottle in a wine store in New York (think it was a '96) - but it was $170 <yikes>. The sales person at the store said for that money - one could do a lot better. If you've tried it - what do you think? Robyn

Marlene~ I agree wholeheartedly with Brad, Katie et all who say to go with the Pol Roger.....a much better choice IMHO. I used to drink the Yellow Label (and thank you Katie, for mentioning that it's become more of an orange...I thought I was getting so old I was forgetting my labels :hmmm: ) all the time and Katie is spot on when she says it's "so ordinary". Nothing for a special occasion! Enjoy, and congratulations on whatever event merits a good bottle of sparkly stuff....of course, for me, just waking up in the morning is a pretty good excuse :laugh:

Waking up is a pretty good reason for me too :biggrin: . It is off topic so I will not post what it was about, but suffice it to say we won a 4 year court battle today. :smile: The Pol it is!

Marlene

If you're dealing with the non-vintage - well I prefer Veuve (have had both in one meal - and I think the Veuve is a bit more dry - and I just like the way it tastes better). But it's purely a matter of taste. And they're really not far apart in quality (although NV Veuve tends to be more expensive).

Has anyone here ever had the Pol Roger Churchill? My husband had been looking for it for a long time. Finally found a bottle in a wine store in New York (think it was a '96) - but it was $170 <yikes>. The sales person at the store said for that money - one could do a lot better. If you've tried it - what do you think? Robyn

Robyn:

I tried the Pol Roger Cuvee Winston Churchill at a tasting several months ago. It's big-assed masculine Champagne if you can imagine what I'm driving at when I say that. It's really yeasty and toasty, smells like bread dough in a glass and the bubbles are very fine. The finish lasts for an eternity. It's only made in the finest vintages.

Possibly the most delicious glass of Champagne I've ever tasted. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

In the business it is known as "Agent Orange" because it is ubiquitous. Cliquot is owned by LVMH. If you don't know what that is, please Google it. The Yellow Label being sold today is very different from that of 10-15 years ago. At the same price point, look for these: Pierre Peters, Pierre Moncuit, H. Billiot, Bollinger, Henriot. Bollinger Grande Annee 1996 would be my choice for a splurge.

Edited to add: Cliquot produces several million cases of Champagne yearly. The brands that I named produce under 10,000 cases except Bollinger.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

Robyn:

I tried the Pol Roger Cuvee Winston Churchill at a tasting several months ago.  It's big-assed masculine Champagne if you can imagine what I'm driving at when I say that.  It's really yeasty and toasty, smells like bread dough in a glass and the bubbles are very fine.  The finish lasts for an eternity.  It's only made in the finest vintages.

I am definitely a "little deal" wine person in terms of taste - the lighter the better. So I don't think I'd like it. My husband on the other hand....

Perhaps if the Supreme Court knocks down all the state wine import laws this term - I'll order a bottle for him on the internet. Robyn

[Has anyone here ever had the Pol Roger Churchill? My husband had been looking for it for a long time. Finally found a bottle in a wine store in New York (think it was a '96) - but it was $170 <yikes>. The sales person at the store said for that money - one could do a lot better. If you've tried it - what do you think? Robyn

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Robyn:

I tried the Pol Roger Cuvee Winston Churchill at a tasting several months ago. It's big-assed masculine Champagne if you can imagine what I'm driving at when I say that. It's really yeasty and toasty, smells like bread dough in a glass and the bubbles are very fine. The finish lasts for an eternity. It's only made in the finest vintages.

Robyn:

I tried the Pol Roger Cuvee Winston Churchill at a tasting several months ago.  It's big-assed masculine Champagne if you can imagine what I'm driving at when I say that.  It's really yeasty and toasty, smells like bread dough in a glass and the bubbles are very fine.  The finish lasts for an eternity.  It's only made in the finest vintages.

wait was i there? i think i was. and you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

wait was i there?  i think i was.  and you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Yes James - you were with me! It was the really big tasting at the University Museum. And we went back to the Pol Roger table as many times as we could get with doing it, as I recall. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!