• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

This morning, I ate an omelet filled with a crab-boursin mixture leftover from the party I catered last night. (The crab-boursin stuff was used to fill mushrooms.) I had about four cups of coffee with it. Then I ate a Rome Beauty apple while reading the paper. Ahhh, Sunday.

Yesterday was lox that had been in the freezer for at least 6 months and THEY WERE PERFECT. Served with goat cheese/ cream cheese mix, onion, capers and tomato slices. All items left over from various catering events and needed to be used.

Today it was a banana, a few strawberries cut up with a couple of dollops of full fat yogurt and a sprinkle of granola and a drizzle of Attiki honey. I love that stuff.

Sorry for the feh picture, but I was hungover and grumpy and there were only two eggs for two people :angry:

Sunday morning

gallery_15769_29_1098723043.jpg

Over-easy ggs, bacon, hash browns (the sweet potato/cipollini hash I also made with a random half tater I had in the fridge was also beautiful, but it didn't make it out of the griddle :biggrin:), and my first homemade buttermilk biscuits. I had no idea these would be so easy - ten minutes total, including baking time, and so easy you could do it half asleep (as I was).

Big mug of Lady Grey, the paper, and the weather channel.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Over-easy ggs, bacon, hash browns (the sweet potato/cipollini hash I also made with a random half tater I had in the fridge was also beautiful, but it didn't make it out of the griddle :biggrin:), and my first homemade buttermilk biscuits.  I had no idea these would be so easy - ten minutes total, including baking time, and so easy you could do it half asleep (as I was).

WOW, those biscuits look great...are you sure this was your first try :laugh: ?

...lox that had been in the freezer for at least 6 months and THEY WERE PERFECT.
That is good to hear. When we have extra, and don't have plans for it right away, I'll freeze it. Thanks!

Over the weekend our breakfasts were beef hash, made with left over steak from the carpaccio the night before, and eggs over easy, and sliced tomatoes on Saturday; and scrambled eggs with extra yolks in them on Sunday.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

we had hash yesterday too. with fingerling potatoes and part of a smoked pork chop BF had ordered out on thursday. with it i served the best poached eggs i've ever made.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

we had hash yesterday too. with fingerling potatoes and part of a smoked pork chop BF had ordered out on thursday. with it i served the best poached eggs i've ever made.

Would you be willing to tell us how you did your best poached eggs ever? The only poached eggs I ever made were with those thingies that you put the individual eggs in and steam... an egg poacher. Did you use an egg poacher or did you do it the real way, in the boiling water? I would love to be able to perfectly poach an egg. Thanks!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This morning I fried some polenta in butter and serrved it with maple syrup & Niman Applewood smoked bacon. I drank nothing as I wanted to be on empty as I was going to the Kerry/Clinton rally at the Love plaza. :smile:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

This morning I fried some polenta in butter and serrved it with maple syrup & Niman Applewood smoked bacon. I drank nothing as I wanted to be on empty as I was going to the Kerry/Clinton rally at the Love plaza.    :smile:

Delicious and convenient-- fried polenta for breakfast. Thanks for the idea!

Today I finished up the last slice of a brown sugar crumb coffee cake. For fruit, I had some pineapple guava that I got from a friend's backyard. (never had these before; they're very interesting tasting with at least part of the flavor tasting like pineapple...). And... two cups of Peet's Vienna Roast.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Farm fresh egg poached in milk (1/2 and 1/2 actually), with Saucisse de Canard A L'Armagnac (Sausage of duck liver, pork and armagnac - if you like foie gras, this is like having it for breakfast).

gallery_21049_162_1098462229.jpg

As a child growning up a many continents, I used to frequently have eggs poached in milk or cream, but I have never seen it done in the US. The cream infuses a delicate sweet taste to the egg and is simply delicious when dabbed with a slice of bread.

how long do you leave it on the stove for? and at what heat?

As a child growing up a many continents, I used to frequently have eggs poached in milk or cream, but I have never seen it done in the US. The cream infuses a delicate sweet taste to the egg and is simply delicious when dabbed with a slice of bread.

how long do you leave it on the stove for? and at what heat?

Yushoe,

This would somewhat depend on the stove, pan, quantity of milk, etc, so let me try to answer this in another way...

Using a small frying pan, I add approx 1/2 a cup of regular milk (or half and half, I would not use skimmed milk for this), along with 1/2 tsp of butter and bring it to a soft boil (this does not take long, maybe a minute or so). When the milk starts to bubble and foam, crack the egg in the frying pan. Using a spatula or spoon, flick or pour some of the hot milk on the egg yolk. As soon as the egg yolk is done to your liking, take it off the heat. If you find that the milk is evaporating too soon during the boil, add some more. The amount of milk your eggs finally end up in is a personal preference. I like the taste of it when dabbed with some bread, so I use a fair amount it.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

P

During the week - breakfast is usually eaten at my desk over a two hour period while I work. Sundays are usually the big breakfast day ay my house, waffles, eggs benedict or florentine, etc

Yesterday, a little Coombe Farm English Cheddar, some homemade spicy pickle, a fresh baguette from the little bakery 2 doors down from my office, and the last bit of Kona coffee sent from friends at the Bad Ass Coffee company in hawaii.

bfast.jpg

This morning - goose liver pate, greek and italian olives, a crunchy pear, and yes...more baguette

bfast2.jpg

edit: sp

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I'm having a Frosted Flakes cereal bar. And coffee. Does that count as breakfast? :unsure:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

grapefruit juice

french toast with chestnut honey

two cups of Peet's Viennese blend

(never tried honey on french toast before--the chestnut honey was especially good with its non-sweet undertones). I also hadn't made french toast in awhile and forgot how quick it is--even for a weekday.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

First time to post on this thread, but had a particularly good brekky this a.m., so here goes. Had some leftover parsleyed red potatoes, so sliced and sauteed in a little butter/oil until browned. Added some chopped onion, salt and pepper and continued sauteeing until onion was soft and browned. Grated on some aged gruyere cheese and covered briefly. Meanwhile, basted a large egg until the whites were just set and the yolk nice and runny. Plated the potatoes, added a tsp of white truffle oil. Placed egg atop potatoes, added more truffle oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Enjoyed along with a cup of fresh brewed assam tea with steamed milk.

What a way to start the day!

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

we're short two people at work this morning(luckily the first hour and a half tend to be slow for us) so quickly ate some of the leftover bison chili i had brought for lunch with the corn bread. looks like we won't even get our 15 minute break today :sad:

on the other hand we may do delivery and take turns taking 5 in the main office with a sandwich or pizza :unsure:

think i can get stinger to bring those potts dogs?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Coffee with heavy cream and splenda, ice water and. . .

foie-n-eggs.jpg

Foie gras with toast points, peach preserves and creamy scrambled eggs. My favorite breakfast, actually. My boyfriend brought home some leftover foie gras from work, which seems like some kind of weird oxymoron. How does one have "leftover" foie gras? Well, these are some of the little end pieces that don't make a perfect restaurant slice. They still taste pretty darned good, though.

I have the day off today! Yeah for me  :biggrin:

Slept in, am making a cup of my favorite loose tea direct from Paris and a hard boiled egg with salt.

LMF, keep it up with the hard boiled eggs and we will have to nick name you LMHBE (little miss hard-boiled egg) :raz::raz::biggrin:

LOL! Right you are, I love my eggs! ok this morning was cafe au lait made by my hubby and a wild mushroom with bechemel and swiss cheese brioche bun from the farmers market! No picture, ate it before we could get all the way home! :biggrin: