• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Woe! Raghavan Iyer is in his last days. But he's making the most of his time.

Smithy

This man was my introduction to Indian cookery, and he was utterly charming on The Splendid Table and in his cookbooks. This article in the New York Times says he's in the final stages of colorectal cancer, but making the most of what time he has remaining. The article should be unlocked for anyone to read it. The title is

He Taught Americans to Cook Indian Food. Now He's on His Final Chapter, in case someone needs to look it up otherwise.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected broken links (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It's kinda cool to know there was someone other th

an Madhur Jaffrey. It's interesting that they are both listed as actors/actresses in their professional life. 

I wonder which books are authoritative now for Indian cookery? 

I use this as a reference every so often. It seems to have the classics - like butter chicken etc. 

image.png.dd4f01fa1ec40ca164201e0700a78158.png

I was interested to know that he started out with a chemistry degree!

I think I've corrected the links. If not, someone can let me know and I'll try again.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I think I've corrected the links. If not, someone can let me know and I'll try again.

Yes, they work for me, now. 

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I was interested to know that he started out with a chemistry degree!

Nik Sharma also started out as a scientist. 

• Like 1