• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

This morning:  the kids had my dad's fried rice, a bowl of steamy, creamy  oatmeal for my mom and a savory breakfast crepe for me.  OJ all around.

Yetty, what was the filling for the crepes? How do you normally make the crepes?

Percy, I feel honored that I inspired! Your hash looks very good. Love the apples in it don't you??

lmf, it was quite inspiring and tasty indeed !!

Thanks

Percy

While frying some for breakfast, my dad comes bellowing into the kitchen, "you're going to eat bacon, BACON?!??!" Whoa, whoa, I had to calm him down and reassure him that it was indeed beef bacon . Oh well, after all that, it wasn't very good anyhow. :wacko:

gallery_11814_148_1102434749.jpg

But the cheesy grits and egg were quite lovely. I wish I had a biscuit or some toast to go with.

Percy, for the crepes I just wing it with milk, eggs, melted butter, flour & salt. The filling was some creamed spinach (leftovers) that I thickened up with bechamel.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I rarely eat breakfast . . . unless you count coffee. :blink: I usually save breakfast for dinner when I crave it.

But this morning I made ginger-spiced pancakes mounded with sliced apple and pear cooked with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, and two fried eggs. Coffee.

Aaaahhhh!

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Picture this:

Protein shake: 2 scoops XRated (stupid name; great taste) Fast-Mixing Whey powder, Triple-Chocolate flavor, mixed in 12 oz nonfat milk with a stick-blender (it's much less tasty when done in a shaker, for some reason).

Oatmeal: 1/3 cup McCann's Irish Quick (steamed and rolled) Oats boiled 2 min. in 2/3 cup water (I don't get the steel-cut oats; they taste really metallic to me).

Banana: a big, ripe one, sliced into the oatmeal with a spoon.

Pills: 2 Centrum vitamins, 2 coral calcium, 1 chondroitin/MSM/glucosamine (which may or may not actually do anything)

561 calories, 68 grams carbs, 61 grams protein, 5 grams fat, delicious and nutritious.

Picture this:

Protein shake:  2 scoops XRated (stupid name; great taste) Fast-Mixing Whey powder, Triple-Chocolate flavor, mixed in 12 oz nonfat milk with a stick-blender (it's much less tasty when done in a shaker, for some reason).

Oatmeal:  1/3 cup McCann's Irish Quick (steamed and rolled) Oats boiled 2 min. in 2/3 cup water (I don't get the steel-cut oats; they taste really metallic to me).

Banana:  a big, ripe one, sliced into the oatmeal with a spoon.

Pills:  2 Centrum vitamins, 2 coral calcium, 1 chondroitin/MSM/glucosamine (which may or may not actually do anything)

561 calories, 68 grams carbs, 61 grams protein, 5 grams fat, delicious and nutritious.

Blair,

Welcome to eG. Are you planning to enter some bodybuilding competition or trying not to get blown off by a strong gust of wind? :wink:

Yetty, I knew they made turkey and duck bacon, but never heard of beef bacon.

BTW, your crepes, grits and eggs sound and look really good.

Cheers

Percy

Butter lettuce salad with roasted red pears, fresh Zingerman's goat cheese, and ginger vinaigrette

Two shirred eggs with tomato concasse and tasso ham

Bacon

Coffee with chicory

gallery_11814_353_1102783384.jpg

Percy, Gwaltney makes beef bacon, though I'm sure there are other brands out there that I will continue to search out.

I do love my grits and try to have them on the weekend, so this (late) morning -- slow cooked creamy, buttery, cheesy, garlic-y grits with an over easy egg and some turkey sausage, and some OJ.

Still sipping my hot mug of good, strong (Indonesian blend) coffee as I type.

Malawry, I've seen coffee w/chicory in a Vietnamese supermarket (Eden Center). How does the chicory enhance the flavor/aroma of the coffee? If I'm not mistaken, this is popular in New Orleans with a plate of powdery beignets, yes?

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Chicory intensifies the rich/bitter aspect of coffee in a way I find pleasing. I brew my coffee with chicory using less of the mixture than I would plain coffee or else the bitterness gets to be a little too much for me. It's excellent with cream. I love it. I ordered mine from Community Coffee. I also like the Cafe du Monde coffee with chicory. I fell in love with this stuff when I visited New Orleans for the first time last March. I have no experience with Vietnamese versions of the same beverage.

Chicory intensifies the rich/bitter aspect of coffee in a way I find pleasing.

I also like the Cafe du Monde coffee with chicory. I fell in love with this stuff when I visited New Orleans for the first time last March. I have no experience with Vietnamese versions of the same beverage.

Malawry, I was in NO last March as well and made the pilgrimage to Cafe du Monde as well...around midnight...for dessert and coffee :biggrin:

Breakfast (brunch actually) was at our neighbors place today, where we exchanged gifts with them and their little kids (they are so cute, too bad I can't post any pics).

gallery_21049_162_1102891779.jpg

They did the cooking (frittatas, fruits, french toast), we made the drinks (poinsettias, mimosa, bloody mary and champagne).

Yum yum yum! Everything looks amazing! Is that ambrosia over there on the upper left? How do you make the poinsettias? (Can they be served "virgin"/non-alcoholic?)

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Yum yum yum!  Everything looks amazing! Is that ambrosia over there on the upper left? How do you make the poinsettias? (Can they be  served "virgin"/non-alcoholic?)

Spaghetttti, not quite ambrosia salad, as it did not have coconut and sour cream/mayo. Had most of the other ingredients though...mandarin oranges, apples, bananas, blue berries, marshmallows, etc. I think it was something that the kids like.

I am told the French toasts were soaked overnight in their batter....was very moist and almost like bread pudding.

Poinsettia = Very easy. Bit of cranberry juice, champagne and a touch of Grand Marnier (optional). For a virgin Poinsettia, simply use a non-alcoholic sparkling wine and either skip the Grand Marnier or add a splash of orange juice.

Sunday breakfast- a few leftover pancetta, goat cheese and leek tartlets (from our party last night) rewarmed, scrambled eggs (well really 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs) with Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar, chives and basil....coffee with half and half.

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

New crop Japanese rice (gohan) and a roasted Aidell's chicken-apple sausage which I now realize I don't care for too much. I think they are too salty. I just got a new fuzzy-logic rice cooker and tried the timer for the first time. It was nice waking up to a hot bowl of rice.

A little off-topic...when son2 watched Home Alone 4 recently (and believe me, there's no faster way to find yourself Home Alone than to borrow one of those big-number sequels...), he perked up at the scene of child being pampered by a lavish breakfast in bed. Until he saw what it was - french toast with syrup.

"Is that ALL?" he scoffed, and turned back to his oat porridge with brown sugar, his home-made yogurt with bananas and sesame seeds, his toast, and his fried tomatoes, scallions, and sausage...

A little off-topic...when son2 watched Home Alone 4 recently (and believe me, there's no faster way to find yourself Home Alone than to borrow one of those big-number sequels...), he perked up at the scene of child being pampered by a lavish breakfast in bed. Until he saw what it was - french toast with syrup.

"Is that ALL?" he scoffed, and turned back to his oat porridge with brown sugar, his home-made yogurt with bananas and sesame seeds, his toast, and his fried tomatoes, scallions, and sausage...

The sound on your son's breakfast makes we want to ask...Are you adopting kids at heart?? :biggrin:

Two eggs over easy (fried a little garlic before I put in the eggs, YUM), 2 pieces supermarket wheat toast (for yolk-dipping), half a grapefruit, and a cup of double-bergamot black tea with milk and sugar.

Edited by Knicke (log)

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Each to his own, I guess...it turns out that son2 thought a luxury breakfast in bed menu should start with STEAK.

:blink:  :laugh:

He's right. This kid leads a rugged existence, right :raz:?

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes