• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

banana

drained plain yogurt (so it's nice and thick like greek yogurt) with blueberry-banana granola - not homemade, unfortunately, but i plan to make some this weekend.

I am now drinking coffee at my desk - dark roast, cream and sugar. Try as I might, I can't forgo coffee without cream.

Heh, today I enjoyed my most infamous breakfast:

liverwurst, onion, and soy-nut butter sandwich on a flax seed roll (with lots of hot mustard of course).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Heh, today I enjoyed my most infamous breakfast:

liverwurst, onion, and soy-nut butter sandwich on a flax seed roll (with lots of hot mustard of course).

Oh my gosh! That sounds incredible! Is there a Kosher liverwurst? Now your breakfast is going to be running through my mind all day today!!! :shock::raz:

gallery_11814_92_1105719285.jpg

This morning I had a cup of green tea but it's purple because of the anti-oxidant grapeseeds :wacko: and two scrambled eggs topped with shavings of smoked gouda cheese handschlepped from Utrecht.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

coffee. breakfast of champions, yo

oh, and i alternate between my hometown brew

http://www.safehousecoffee.com/

i haven't lived there in 4+ years, but the owners still keep my pic on the regulars page. it must have something to do with me 'keeping the place open' for most of my high school career. Aaron, the owner, makes a special 'high octane' blend for my thesis experience and ships it to me monthly. gotta love him.

and my adopted hometown brew

http://stumptowncoffee.com/

It's damn good, but i don't have any deep connection with the organization.

french press only.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

This morning we had scrambled eggs with a pinch of cumin, accompanied by leftover bhindi masala I made for dinner the other night. The okra was even better reheated than it had been the first time around, and super good with the eggs. To drink: moka pot coffee (Peet's Italian roast beans) with steamed milk.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

drained plain yogurt (so it's nice and thick like greek yogurt) with blueberry-banana granola - not homemade, unfortunately, but i plan to make some this weekend.

Patti, how do you drain the yogurt? I recently ran out of cheesecloth, so I used a paper coffee filter in a strainer...worked like a charm !!

Spaghetttti, that last piece of gouda looks like bacon :raz: Hope you had a good trip...welcome back.

Spaghetttti, that last piece of gouda looks like bacon  :raz: Hope you had a good trip...welcome back.

gallery_11814_606_1106057833.jpg

Thanks so much for the welcome back, Percy! It's a very cold blustery morning here in DC. I would've liked some slow cooked oatmeal or grits for breakfast, but I'm running around on errands today, so it's a very quick breakfast of cheddar cheese scrambled eggs, toasted buttered english muffins and some strawberries. Coffee, coffee, coffee!!!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Hotcakes!! Blueberry pancakes and caphe sua nong : Vietnamese coffee and sweetened condensed milk, made in these cute little press filters like in pho shops. Very addicting :shock::raz:

gallery_11814_148_1106141916.jpg

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Patti, how do you drain the yogurt? I recently ran out of cheesecloth, so I used a paper coffee filter in a strainer...worked like a charm !!

Hi, Percyn-

That is exactly what I do - works perfectly overnight!

Hotcakes!!  Blueberry pancakes  and caphe sua nong : Vietnamese coffee and sweetened condensed milk, made in these cute little  press filters like in pho shops. Very addicting  :shock:  :raz:

gallery_11814_148_1106141916.jpg

Those pancakes look delicious!!!! how do you make them?

Hi pattimw! Thank you, yes -- the pancakes are very light and fluffy, and above all very easy to make:

Blueberry Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 Tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1 beaten egg

1 cup milk

2 Tbsp. melted cooled butter

4 oz. fresh blueberries

Mix the first four ingredients (dry) together.

Blend together the wet ingredients then add to the the dry all at once. Stir just until slightly lumpy, you don't want the batter to be too smooth.

Pour about 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot lightly buttered skillet/griddle. Then drop blueberries into pancakes - I used about 6-8 blueberries for each pancake. Flip when bubbles have burst. I like high sides on my pancakes and I get them fairly high with this recipe.

The batter makes about 8 pancakes. This morning I had them with warmed maple syrup but they're extra special with blueberry syrup! Didn't have enough to make some! :sad:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

gallery_10299_650_1106329693.jpg

I'd made some bastardized parathas using olive oil (!) as the main fat (though there was also a dab of butter on each one after it came off the griddle). Authentic to no cuisine on this earth, but awful good. We had these this morning, reheated in the toaster oven, with some lime pickle and a cup of our usual moka pot coffee with steamed milk.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I had a rather strange breakfast today, since I was out of both eggs AND bread! :hmmm: I baked 2 fillets of red snapper and topped them with diced roma tomatoes, parsley, olive oil, and lemon juice. And I also had 2 cups of chai with sugar and cream (no milk at home either!) Must go grocery shopping now....there's nothing more depressing than a poorly-stocked fridge.

gallery_11814_148_1106406527.jpg

Getting ready for the blizzard here in the Metro DC area. Breakfast this morning was some leftover ( :shock: ) grits, panfried in butter and smothered in gobble sawmill gravy seasoned with Grandma Maude Southern Seasonings (mighty fine!) and loads of freshly cracked black pepper, and wonderful, aromatic Trung Nguyen coffee.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I had a rather strange breakfast today, since I was out of both eggs AND bread!  :hmmm: I baked 2 fillets of red snapper and topped them with diced roma tomatoes, parsley, olive oil, and lemon juice. And I also had 2 cups of chai with sugar and cream (no milk at home either!) Must go grocery shopping now....there's nothing more depressing than a poorly-stocked fridge.

Ling,

Poorly-stocked fridge?...I am continuously amazed by the wide range of ingredients in your pantry/freezer (no bread, but red snapper and chai) :smile:

I tried some "eggs Ling style" :raz: - placed some Canadian bacon in a ramekin, toped with cheese, egg, more cheese and a tbsp of 1/2 and 1/2.

gallery_21049_162_1106409892.jpg

Everyone is putting me to shame here! This morning we realized we really had to hustle to get out and do our shopping before the snow hit, so we didn't take the time to make a proper weekend breakfast. So we just had those same parathoids again, but now at least we will not suffer the hideous fate of being snowed in without coffee! (Being short on groceries is one thing, but running out of coffee... too hideous to contemplate.) Tomorrow we'll do better.