• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

DameD, welcome...hope to see more breakfast posts from you soon.

Wendy, did Santa bring you the food processor? (I got a Hattori Japanese hand forged knive for Xmas).

MissTenacity, that larb omelet sounds...hmmm...interesting :huh: ...will have to try it.

Today's breakfast....Scrambled eggs with Ham on a Croissant

gallery_21049_162_1104343472.jpg

Wendy, did Santa bring you the food processor? (I got a Hattori Japanese hand forged knive for Xmas).

Santa told the in laws to bring it!! Love it!

Hubby is alergic to peanuts and I am off work this week so I had toast and peanut butter which I never get anymore! yum!! Extra super crunchy is the way I like it!

Not sure what you'd call this (Strada? Crustless Quiche? Savory bread pudding?)... But one of my favorite breakfasts is to take all the bits of stale bread I save, cut them into cubes and put them in to soak overnight with eggy custard (3 eggs per C of whole milk with a pinch of salt and nutmeg and some pepper) then throw in a pan along with whatever's handy (cheese, frozen veggies, cooked meats like ham or salami, etc.) then add some more of the custard and bake at about 375 until a knife hole in the middle doesn't gush watery. Most recently I used chopped green olives, cooked sausage, frozen green beans, mozarella, cheddar, and a little blue for good measure. The leftovers are nummy, too.

It's extra good at brunch with coffee, mimosas, and maybe some fruit or something if it's in season.

Also, this is truly odd, but until about two weeks ago I absolutely hated fried eggs, and thought runny yolks were disgusting. I've learned to appreciate eggs benedict, and for some reason about 2 weeks ago I thought a fried egg sounded good so I fried up a couple of free range eggs in bacon fat over-easy and put them on top of a piece of sourdough toast to catch the runny yolks. Oh. My. God. Why did I not like this before? I've eaten over easy eggs like 5 times in the past couple of weeks.

Maybe next I'll start liking hard boiled. Ick!

Maybe next I'll start liking hard boiled.  Ick!

Hey...don't knock boiled eggs...they are delicious if made properly. If you have been exposed to those questionable grey masses which were once yolks, then you were not eating properly boiled eggs. A good boiled egg will have a bright yellowish-orange folk which is creamy and tasty.

Two poached eggs, smoked salmon & a 3oz. sirloin steak w/ roasted potatoes ... treated myself to brekkie & Provence Marinaside 'cuz I hafta work today.

Me too, but somewhow that doesn't seem to translate into people cooking for me - hooray - pity party!

For the last while, it's been alternating between eggs Smithers (leftover goose instead of ham or bacon & some kale because we all need our veggies) and fresh-baked scones (b/c my dad needs to finish the rum butter, dammit, and he prefers scones to toast). Must ..... stop .... baking. Sorry no photos - breakfast is not a time for flash photography in our house.

We had waffles with 4 types of maple syrup. It was mighty good after shoveling 16 inches of snow off the driveway. We've had nearly 2 feet of snow in a day and a half. We've experienced more, but it was more fun when we had a snow blower.

On weekends I follow a bit of a ritual and usually have 3 consumption phases - the first being a cup or two of coffee shortly after rising, the 2nd an hour after that, and one a few hours later (by now its nearly noon) with more "weight" (or we go out for breakfast/brunch).

Today, I had coffee (w/ half & half only, no sugar) as per the custom, and then a bowl of yogurt with dried fruit and nuts:

20041023_07.jpg

....once that had settled I reheated some previously cooked oat groats with leftover pear crumble and walnuts. Warm food is definitely ideal for the 2nd breakfast, even if in caloric heft it might be lighter than the yogurt-granola combo.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I lined my muffin tins with slices of ham, spooned in some cream cheese, minced chives, cracked an egg on top, s&p. Baked at 350F for about 12 minutes. Yum  :biggrin:

Sounds tasty....and very creative !!

Thanks but I can't take all the credit; I saw someone do something similar on FoodTV. :smile:

This morning I heated up leftovers from last night's hot pot dinner. I had:

-12 medium/largish oysters :shock:

-thin slices of lamb, pork, fatty beef (this is what it says on the package...it's just very well-marbled), and pork cut especially for hot pot

-enoki mushrooms, various vegetables

-3 kinds of noodles (my favourite is the yam noodle)

-squid, prawns

-3 kinds of fried tofu (my favourite is a square-shaped tofu blended with fish paste)

-3 kinds of fish "cake"--fish that has been whizzed in the food processor, seasoned with loads of MSG, pressed into "cakes" and then fried

-pork liver

-Chinese fish balls and meat balls

This was all simmered in my mom's homemade chicken broth. There was also pork blood, but I don't like to eat that.

Washed all that down with 2 cups of Illy coffee.

Edited by Ling (log)

We had McCanns steel-cut Irish oats topped with frozen blackberries and wild blueberries that had been heated up with a splash of water and a hearty shake of cinnamon. A blob of brown sugar in the middle and cold milk over all. Our usual moka-pot coffee and steamed milk.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I lined my muffin tins with slices of ham, spooned in some cream cheese, minced chives, cracked an egg on top, s&p. Baked at 350F for about 12 minutes. Yum  :biggrin:

Sounds tasty....and very creative !!

Thanks but I can't take all the credit; I saw someone do something similar on FoodTV. :smile:

Coindicently, I had Brunch at Lacroix (famous Philly restaurant) today, they had a lobster dish made in a very similar fashion, which I will call Homard Oeufs en Cocotte.

gallery_21049_398_1104718709.jpg

Viola da gamba, care to share your scone recipe?

VERRRRY simple (has to be - they get baked at the same time I'm having my first cup of coffee - complicated would be bad). Largely taken from the Good Housekeeping book - an old, favourite standby.

For 3 people - increase as needed.

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 tbsp baking powder

1 tbsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

3/8 cup butter

1 tsp grated orange rind

2 eggs - room temperature

1/3 cup milk

Mix first 4 ingredients with a fork. Cut in butter until it looks like gravel - NOT fine breadcrumbs. Sadly, the best way to do this is by hand - a food processor makes it too fine. Add in orange rind. Beat together eggs & milk in a separate bowl. Pour about 2/3 of egg & milk recipe into dry ingredients. Blend with fork. If you can't make the dough stick together by grabbing & squeezing, add a bit more of the liquid until you can. Finish the mixing process by grabbing & squeezing dough until it all sticks together - you don't need to knead. Dump on floured surface, roll out to about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick, depending on how high you like your scones to rise. Cut into squares or triangles, whatever floats your boat. Place scone blobs on a lightly greased tray - brush tops with remaining egg & milk mixture (put any left after this down for the dogs) & bake at 425 for 10 - 12 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.

I find this method minimizes the amount of handling, and produces the lightest, fluffiest scones of most of the methods I've tried. It also doesn't require much thought, and there's less stuff to wash up after.

(Clearly I shouldn't be spending all of my time on my 'home' New England page!)

Coffee, as I don't generally eat anything in the morning (often skipping lunch, too) - otherwise I will be hungry all day. While some may scoff, it does allow for leisurely paced and filling dinners!

Of course, if I had Percyn around cooking breakfast, I'm sure I'd be more keen on it!

this morning i had a big pile of sauteed spinach with an embeurre de chou (actually, stewed cabbage with bacon in duck fat), and two eggs, over easy. had the cabbage left over from the other night when i roasted some chicken legs.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker