• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

left over egg whites

frogprincess

I run into this situation quite often too. Angel food cake is an obvious answer (12 egg whites per cake) but I'm honestly not a fan. However, RLB's Chocolate Angel Food Cake from The Cake Bible does not taste sugary like most other angel food cake recipes that I tried.

Macaroon or macaron are both good candidates to use up excessive egg whites as are meringue dried in a low oven overnight.

My recent favourite though is financier. Love the recipe in Dorie Greenspan's Paris Sweets. One recipe uses 6 egg whites and the recipe can be doubled easily.

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

You can make macaroons. I often make maconade which is a mixture of ew's, sugar and ground nuts. I put it on top of brioche or sweet breads and it makes a delicious crip crust.

I have a recipe for blackberry mousse that uses 4 egg whites, gelatin, sugar, whipping cream, salt/lemon juice and 2 1/2 cups of blackberries.

Darn seasonal and tasty!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

This is a subject which I invariably rank in the forefront of economizing importance in my kitchen, as I use a great number of eggs per week. Some recipes requiring egg-whites more-or-less exclusive of yolks:

Appetizers: Beef Consommé; Parmesan Croûtes; cold Borscht; Crab Puffs.

Entrées: Chicken Quenelles; Shrimp Cantonese; Crab or Oyster Soufflés; Veal Almondine.

Desserts: Sherbets; Soufflé Rothchild and other fruit Soufflés ; Mousses; Meringue-topped pies; American & Seven-minute Frostings; Jam Frosting; Marshmallow Buttercream; Meringue Nests; Macaroons; Baked Alaska; Vacherin; Pavlova; Angel Food Cakes; Lady Baltimore Cake.

Edited by Redsugar (log)

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

For egg yolks -- ice cream. Some recipes call for as many as a dozen yolks. Then of course, there's lemon (or any variety of) curd. And some mayonaise calls for yolks only.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

You can make macaroons.  I often make maconade which is a mixture of ew's, sugar and ground nuts.  I put it on top of brioche or sweet breads and it makes a delicious crip crust.

I've never heard of maconade and haven't been able to find a recipe. Would you be willing to share yours?

You can freeze egg yolks, with some success, as long as you salt or sugar them first(which depends on the application).

I presume you meant egg whites.

I have often frozen egg whites without adding sugar or salt first and have never had a problem - other than defrosting them in the microwave which I don't recommend.

Why do you add salt or sugar?

No. Egg yolks. You can freeze egg yolks and keep them from undesirable changes in texture/consistency by either salting or adding sugar before freezing.

Egg whites do not require any treatment for successful freezing.

I should probably explain in more detail:

Freezing alters the texture of egg yolks making them thicker and gelatinous. Adding a bit of salt, 1/8 teaspoon per four yolks, or some sugar (3/8 teaspoon per yolk, 1.5 teaspoons per four) will help to prevent them from becoming so gelatinous that they are unusable in a recipe.

-edited to elaborate-

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

Dessert recipes incorporting egg yolks on their own:

Marquise Sauce; Sablés; Zabaglione; Sauce Campagne; Crème Anglaise; Crème de Buerre; Continental Buttercream; Dobos Torte; Mexican Flan; Custard-Rice Pudding.

Edited by Redsugar (log)

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have an excess of egg whites as a result of a personal creme brulee cook-off, which I hope will cease tomorrow.

By tomorrow I'll have 19 egg whites staring at me in my refrigerator (I've baked a pavlova today for the rellies).

Are there recipes with high egg white components that are freezable?

Admittedly I should be using them as egg-white omelettes for breakfast after trialling all the batches of creme brulee...

And I really can't face eating 5 pavlovas...

Thanks!

Take the pavlova one step further and make meringue mushrooms (put the tops and bottoms together with melted chocolate); add some grated unsweetened chocolate to the meringue and make cookies (from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Christmas Cookie Book) which you can pipe into sticks or kisses; add some melted chocolate and make chocolate meringue (neve nero). If you are doing a lot of entertaining, you could make small individual meringue cups and fill them with different things (regular vanilla pastry cream, or flavored pastry cream, etc) for each different gathering of friends/rels....

Well stored (meaning air tight), these meringue ideas will keep for a long time (end of Jan).

Or Angel Food Cake/Chiffon cake....

I have to say, freezing the egg whites untouched is the way to go. But there are a few freezable end products that won't suck after thawing-- white butter cake is one. Angel food cake will be fine in the freezer for a week. Italian meringue buttercream too. Make all the components of a wedding cake, haha :laugh:

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.