• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

I am hoping they get into the burbs a bit - usually Ardmore and Bryn Mawr get all this stuff. Whats the story Deidre!? I called Ardmore and they said they already had it at xmas. huh? Are they gettin any more?!

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I am hoping they get into the burbs a bit - usually Ardmore and Bryn Mawr get all this stuff.  Whats the story Deidre!?  I called Ardmore and they said they already had it at xmas.  huh?  Are they gettin any more?!

Evan

:wacko: Spoke too soon. Ardmore just got in 207 bottles today! I usually talk with the "wine guy" there but whoever spoke to me must have been a bit clueless. Hooray! I am off tomorrow and now have an errand to run!

Dough can sense fear.

Hello, Now that I finished writing my newsletters for April’s wine club, I thought it was time for my weekly snooping!  :biggrin: Here is advance notice on upcoming Chairman’s Selection wines, The Chapoutier wines are going to be extremely limited under 55 cases were ordered of each so only the following stores will have it Waterworks in Pittsburgh, Lemoyne in Central Pa, in the Philly area West Chester Outlet store, Devon, Ardmore Bryn Mawr and on Pawineandspirits.com.  I’ll do some more snooping and let you know what else is coming in.  Happy Hunting! - D.

Arrowood Syrah le Beau Melange,  200192 points The Wine Advocate $17.99…save $21.01

Byron Chardonnay Nielson Vineyards  2001 89 points The Wine Advocate, Now $12.99…save $17.01 

Byron Pinot Noir Nielson Vineyard,  2001 92  points  Wine Enthusiast, and Wine Spectator, Now $19.99…save $20.01   

Chapoutier Ermitage Le Méal Blanc 2001 92-95 points Wine Advocate 94  in Wine Spectator, Now $94.99…save $174.01 

Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon 2001 93-95 points The Wine Advocate, 94  in Wine Spectator Now $99.99…save $153.01   

Chapoutier St. Joseph Les Granits Rouge 1999 91 points Wine Advocate, April 2002 Now $29.99…save $66.01   

Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay Robert Young Vineyard  2001 92 points in Wine Enthusiast, Now $16.49…save $16.50   

Columbia Crest Merlot Reserve, 2001 90 points in Wine Spectator Now $17.99…save $12.01   

Cosentino “The Poet” Meritage 2000 Now $19.99…save $45.01 

D’arenberg Shiraz/Viognier “Laughing Magpie” 2003 91 Wine Spectator 90 The Wine Advocate ,Now $21.99…save $13.01 

Domaine Carneros by Taittinger Le Rêve 1998 90 points  Wine Spectator, Now $27.99…save $27.01 

Drylands Estate Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2004 Quoted at $17.00…Now $11.99…save $5.01 

Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet Vide Bourse 2001 90 points in Wine Spectator Now $29.99…save $30.01

Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon 2001 is in but the shipment was the 1999, in case anyone was waiting for these. They are being held since they cant sell them yet because they are incorrect. I noticed they were in and Robert said they are quarantined 'til they hear from the State on what to do. I suppose they will be sent back - if they still sell the '99 for $99 thats an even bigger deal from what I can glean!

Dough can sense fear.

Hello, Now that I finished writing my newsletters for April’s wine club, I thought it was time for my weekly snooping!  :biggrin: Here is advance notice on upcoming Chairman’s Selection wines, The Chapoutier wines are going to be extremely limited under 55 cases were ordered of each so only the following stores will have it Waterworks in Pittsburgh, Lemoyne in Central Pa, in the Philly area West Chester Outlet store, Devon, Ardmore Bryn Mawr and on Pawineandspirits.com.  I’ll do some more snooping and let you know what else is coming in.  Happy Hunting! - D.

Arrowood Syrah le Beau Melange,  200192 points The Wine Advocate $17.99…save $21.01

Byron Pinot Noir Nielson Vineyard,  2001 92  points  Wine Enthusiast, and Wine Spectator, Now $19.99…save $20.01   

D’arenberg Shiraz/Viognier “Laughing Magpie” 2003 91 Wine Spectator 90 The Wine Advocate ,Now $21.99…save $13.01 

Uh. I am flummoxed. Just checked the website, and the following is the case: the Arrowood is not in at all; the Byron PN and the D'Arenberg S/V are listed as SLO - and full price. The Chairman's Selections list does not mention them. Have things changed?

Deidre,

Is the Kim Crawford coming back again, or do your "levels" not work? There doesn't seem to be much in the state. Can I nominate the Collegeville store for super premium so we can get distribution on all the chairman's selections? Did I miss the chairman on the board answering questions? Sorry I'm such a pain, but I still love yuh.

Best,

Mike

Deidre,

One last question. Why are the prices different for the wine festival depending on geographiy? Nobody likes Philly, some people like Pittsburgh, and all the pols are in Harrisburg(like they need a price break).

Best,

Mike

I have been reading this thread with great interest. As a matter of fact, I just purchased two six packs of the 1993 Burgess library selection cab. I am now enjoying the first bottle as I write this (it's after 5:00!) I find it to be a really nice, full bodied big red which is my preference in wines. I also did not feel the need to decant as no visible sediment was noticeable. At $20.00, this is indeed a great find and the good news...there are still a few cases in the Doylestown state store and I understand lots more in the Ardmore store.

I don't know if anyone has experienced the 1991 Almaviva, but I will tell you that it is one of the best wines I have ever tasted. I bought 12 bottles ($49.99) the last time PA put this stellar vintage on sale and will buy another 12 this week. It is extraordinary wine that tastes so good now, I can only imagine what it will be like in 5-10 years.

Just a little background on this wine, it is a joint venture between Concha Y Toro of Chile and the esteemed Baron de Phillipe Rothschild.

I don't usually spend $50 for a bottle of wine but this drinks like a wine 4-5 times that.

Uh. I am flummoxed. Just checked the website, and the following is the case: the Arrowood is not in at all; the Byron PN and the D'Arenberg S/V are listed as SLO - and full price. The Chairman's Selections list does not mention them. Have things changed?

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Deidre,

Is the Kim Crawford coming back again, or do your "levels" not work? There doesn't seem to be much in the state. Can I nominate the Collegeville store for super premium so we can get distribution on all the chairman's selections? Did I miss the chairman on the board answering questions? Sorry I'm such a pain, but I still love yuh.

Best,

Mike

Mike, I don't know why the Kim Crawford is still showing I sent an email to see what is up with it. It might be because the Crawford was in our stores prior to the new site launch...Im just not sure exactly yet.

You could nominate the Collegeville store to get more Chairman's products, perhaps when the Chairman joins us in our discussions here... :wink:

Deidre,

One last question. Why are the prices different for the wine festival depending on geographiy? Nobody likes Philly, some people like Pittsburgh, and all the pols are in Harrisburg(like they need a price break).

Best,

Mike

Mike I believe the cost difference has more to do with the venues selected for the wine festivals, Philly’s is in the Ballroom at the Convention Center (new location), Harrisburg is at the Harrisburg Hilton and Pittsburgh remains at Heinz Field.

Evidently the move to the Convention Center in Philly was to allow for both more space and people but that came at a cost.

There's still a good pile of the 93 Burgess Cab in West Chester. I lightened their load a little, but there's more. I didn't see any of the really swanky Chapoutier, and it's probably just as well, I have purchasing restraint issues.... But I couldn't resist a bottle of the more reasonable "Les Granits."

Not to be snotty, but jeeze, the store looked like a bomb went off in it. They're in the midst of an expansion, and that's welcome, but there was dust and detritus all over most the wine bottles, chunks of debris on the floor near the entrance, and around the small display of premium wines. I know renovation is messy, but would it have killed them to put a drop cloth over the wines when they pulled the ceiling down? Or, I don't know, sweep the floor?

I guess it could be good, you can get the cellar-aged look, so you can pretend that you pulled the bottle from your private reserve, blowing the dust off for impressive effect.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

There's still a good pile of the 93 Burgess Cab in West Chester.  I lightened their load a little, but there's more.  I didn't see any of the really swanky Chapoutier, and it's probably just as well, I have purchasing restraint issues.... But I couldn't resist a bottle of the more reasonable "Les Granits."

The shipment of Chapoutier Ermitage Le pavillon 99 as a Charirman's selection was an error so at least in Ardmore they were not even put out for showing. They even sent half back to booze central. I had to ask for mine. I see West Chester has 30 bottles. If you are so inclined, ask for them and they are probably in the back. Perhaps they are not "advertising" the greater then expected deal. Dunno.

I would like to know if that means the 2001 ermitage is not going to make it to the stores now. Deidre? U There?

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

After a visit to my doctor last week I received back my test results. Blood pressure good, weight down 30 lbs., all test numbers great except my good cholestrol was a little low. So, I googled that issue and found that red wine consumption will help. I followed that advice and opened a bottle of the Toad Hall PN with some grilled salmon I made last night. Real good stuff. It went fine with the salmon and a green bean and grape tomato salad. I was happy and I felt the good cholestrol racing through me. I see the the Foley PN is now in stock at the Lancaster store, and in the interest of my good health, I am headed out there to grab some before Mike Volker and Katie Loeb get every bottle in the Commonwealth. Yeah, doc, I feel much better now and will be working REAL hard to pump up that HDL.

If any of my wine drinking, bargin hunting, E-Gullet friends would like to send me a couple of bottles of red to help me live longer and drive that HDL up I would gladly accept.

edited for spelling

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Stopped by the Delaware/Snyder Avenue Outlet store today to buy a bottle of Manischewitz White Concord to make my Passover charoset with. Also picked up a bottle of Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc and a bottle of the Valdubon '03 Ribera del Duero I'm sipping at right now. Pretty tasty stuff for the low low price of $8.99. Very rich flavors that will pair well with a steak that's tenderizing as I type. It's a bit "hot" on the nose, but drinks smoother than it smells.

BTW - there was plenty of the Flora Springs Trilogy and Soliloquy at the Snyder Outlet shop as well. Plenty of St. Francis Merlot and Cab too. Didn't see the Foley PN, so I don't know if lancastermike sent his minions to scoop up every last bottle in Eastern PA before Mike Volker and I could get any. :wink::raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There's still a good pile of the 93 Burgess Cab in West Chester.  I lightened their load a little, but there's more.  I didn't see any of the really swanky Chapoutier, and it's probably just as well, I have purchasing restraint issues.... But I couldn't resist a bottle of the more reasonable "Les Granits."

The shipment of Chapoutier Ermitage Le pavillon 99 as a Charirman's selection was an error so at least in Ardmore they were not even put out for showing. They even sent half back to booze central. I had to ask for mine. I see West Chester has 30 bottles. If you are so inclined, ask for them and they are probably in the back. Perhaps they are not "advertising" the greater then expected deal. Dunno.

I would like to know if that means the 2001 ermitage is not going to make it to the stores now. Deidre? U There?

Evan

I’m back from a quick West Coast trip. I have family living in of all places Napa, so when I received an invitation to celebrate a 50th wedding Anniversary I jumped at the chance!

Now that I’m back, to answer your question concerning the 2001 Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon, no it doesn’t look like we will be getting any, at least from what I was able to gather so far. (perhaps a question for the Chairman’s Q and A session I see starting on April 24th)

I do see that another 250 six packs of the 1993 Burgess Cab should be coming.

By the way I will be attending a workshop on Monday where we get the opportunity to taste and learn about the next round of Chairman’s Selection, I’ll report some of my tasting notes sometime next week. –Boy I love my job!

-Deidre

BTW the SLO price is $65 and the specialty store price is $50!

If a product is carried in our Specialty stores we are buying directly from the winery thus a less expensive price especially since we are buying large amounts of products that becomes part of our inventory.

Merchandise purchased by Special Liquor Order is not considered our inventory; we do not have any ‘rights’ to that merchandise, that merchandise is owned by the vendor (distributor). When you place a Special Liquor Order you are actually ordering from a third party (vendor).

If a product is available in our stores and by Special Order it is almost always less expensive to purchase the inventory in our stores for the reason mentioned above.

As for the Cakebread ’02, I’m waiting to hear if we are getting more. I would pretty much betting that we are but want to make sure before I say definitively yes. I’ll let you know

Deidre

BTW the SLO price is $65 and the specialty store price is $50!

If a product is carried in our Specialty stores we are buying directly from the winery thus a less expensive price especially since we are buying large amounts of products that becomes part of our inventory.

Merchandise purchased by Special Liquor Order is not considered our inventory; we do not have any ‘rights’ to that merchandise, that merchandise is owned by the vendor (distributor). When you place a Special Liquor Order you are actually ordering from a third party (vendor).

If a product is available in our stores and by Special Order it is almost always less expensive to purchase the inventory in our stores for the reason mentioned above.

As for the Cakebread ’02, I’m waiting to hear if we are getting more. I would pretty much betting that we are but want to make sure before I say definitively yes. I’ll let you know

Deidre

Thanks again Deidre - you rock, as always!

Dough can sense fear.

Not to be snotty, but jeeze, the store looked like a bomb went off in it. ...

I guess it could be good, you can get the cellar-aged look, so you can pretend that you pulled the bottle from your private reserve, blowing the dust off for impressive effect.

Philadining, I know that renovations are really tough to get through not only for customers but employees alike constantly moving product around (and sometimes dirt too) Just think in a couple of weeks the store will look brand spanking new and larger too.

The real reason I am responding to this is you reminded me of a story when I worked my first summer in one of our stores. A gentleman came in browsing our glass case of vintage ports, he decided on an older vintage port, I went into the back room found a dirty crusty bottle…being the ‘good’ clerk that I though I was, promptly took a dust rag to it and cleaned the bottle up as best I could. I presented the cleaned and shined bottle to the gentleman where he just about cried. Thank goodness that we had several other dirty crusty bottles left! Of course, lesson learned over the years, beauty is in the eye of the beholder…(and knowing what bottles to dust off) thanks for reminding me of this story! :biggrin: