• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just discovered Ouzo

MicBacchus

Recently had ouzo for the 1st time (Lesvos) & have fallen in love. The waiter brought it neat & also a glass w/ice for me to see which way I liked it --- neat, please. Didn't bring or suggest the water. What other brands are out there that I should try?

Also, I know there are anise-flavored liqueurs in other countries - any recommendations on which of those I should/must sample?

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

Sambuca from Italy.

Pastis (Ricard, Pernot, etc.) is basically an absinthe substitute and strikes me as not quite in the same family as ouzo and sambuca, although they are all anise-flavored. The French version of ouzo would be anisette. If I were going to make a gross overgeneralization, I'd say that it tends to be the case that sambuca is better than ouzo is better than anisette. YMMV, of course, and individual examples will contradict this generalization.

--

Sambuca from Italy.

Pastis (Ricard, Pernot, etc.) is basically an absinthe substitute and strikes me as not quite in the same family as ouzo and sambuca, although they are all anise-flavored. The French version of ouzo would be anisette. If I were going to make a gross overgeneralization, I'd say that it tends to be the case that sambuca is better than ouzo is better than anisette. YMMV, of course, and individual examples will contradict this generalization.

Look for Molinari sambuca. According to Dale deGroff's Craft of the Cocktail, it is the best selling sambuca in Italy. Sambuca Romano is for export only but it is also the best selling sambuca in the USA. Romano is fine for adding to espresso, but Molinari is the only one worth sipping.

KathyM

Sambuca from Italy.

is most sambuca in italy not as cloyingly syrupy as the sambuca romana that people drink here in the usa? i've always wondered that. it's so damn sweet here.

Try the Henri Bardouin Pastis if you can find it. It's the lightest that I've tasted and My personal favorite. http://www.franceway.com/w3/Travel/regions...nribardouin.htm

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I've also become an Ouzo fan recently, after a great visit to a Greek restaurant. I'm currently working on a bottle of Ouzo Boutari.

I prefer mine with equal parts Ouzo and water, with lots of ice.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I like Arrak -- In particular, I like the "Razzouk" brand from Lebanon.

Sambuca Romana from Italy is definitely sweet, of all the anisette flavored liquors I have tried. I haven't tried the Molinari.

In terms of Ouzo I like the Metaxa brand.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you like ouzo (and even if you don't), you might enjoy reading Ouzo-palooza, one reporter's account of her adventures trying ouzo for the first time while in Athens "to cover parties and nightlife during the Olympics." Ach, reporters have such a hard life sometimes.

Actually, it's a pretty funny account of "writing while intoxicated."