• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Sandwiches

Varmint

I'm a toasted sourdough sort. Fresh seeded plum tomatoes, fresh mayonaisse, much pepper, fleur de sel.

Then one can get into a few leaves of basil, bacon, etc etc etc.

But a simple tomato sandwich is bliss indeed.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I am off to my sister-in-law's at 12:30 sharp today. Why? She is out of town and told me that I could gather all the tomatoes I wanted from her garden while she's gone. I will be making mayo, too, as that puts the sammich way over the top.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Living in Canada is a lifelong exercise in the good Protestant pastime of pleasure delayed.

This is especially true when it comes to tomatoes fresh from the garden. Enjoy yours now, because in a few weeks, I will be feeling both virtuous and sated.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I am off to my sister-in-law's at 12:30 sharp today.  Why?  She is out of town and told me that I could gather all the tomatoes I wanted from her garden while she's gone.  I will be making mayo, too, as that puts the sammich way over the top.

I'd be tempted to dig up the plants!

Several summers ago the NY Times magazine had a series of recipes from famous chefs featuring in-season heirloom tomatoes. My favorite went something like this:

Ingredients:

1 heirloom tomato (I think he gave some of his favorite varieties)

1 sharp knife

coarse sea salt

Recipe:

Use knife to cut tomato into thick slices

Sprinkle with sea salt

Eat

--

I am off to my sister-in-law's at 12:30 sharp today.  Why?  She is out of town and told me that I could gather all the tomatoes I wanted from her garden while she's gone.  I will be making mayo, too, as that puts the sammich way over the top.

Good for you! Enjoy one for me. Tomatoes are still two weeks away here. Damn that cold wet spring! :angry:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Hold the mayo.

Maybe add some buffalo mozarella

I know you mean well :smile:

and buffalo mozarella perhaps with some fresh basil and a little olive oil does make a nice sandwich,

but the tomato sandwich described here is a classic that will brook no meddling, no matter how well intentioned.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly, this is so.

Basically, there are at least as many gates to wonder that open around a fresh summer tomato as there are seeds in its heart.

All are glorious.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm sorry, but on this side of the pond a classic tomato sandwich does NOT have mayo in it, anymore than a cucumber one does. S+P plenty, maybe some herbs (basil for tomato, chives or spring onion for cucumber) thin white buttered bread, with the crusts cut off if you are posh. The butter stops the moisture making the bread soggy, but definately, definitively NO MAYO.

I'm sorry, but on this side of the pond a classic tomato sandwich does NOT have mayo in it...definately, definitively NO MAYO.

Miracle Whip?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The Kitchen Sink Tomato Sandwich in Ernest Mickler's White Trash Cooking calls for two slices of bread coated with "one-quarter inch of good mayonnaise" or roughly half the thickness of the tomato filling.

It could well qualify as a Kitchen Sink Mayonnaise Sandwich With Tomato.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I took the electric fence around the garden down so the chickens could eat the potato bugs, which they did with great vigor. However, they have now discovered the ripening tomatoes and the zucchini, so I ran them all out this morning and restrung the wire. I should have tomatoes in a day or two.

Good bread, mayo, and BACON. Or a grilled cheese with tomato slices inside.

The first ones will be eaten while standing in the garden, slightly bent over to keep the juice and seeds off my shirt. Later on, I will chunk up the tomatoes, dress them with a crushed garlic clove, plenty of salt, 2 glugs of olive oil and one of vinegar. Maybe some cuke chunks in there too.

sparrowgrass

My favorite summer treat, too, is a 'mater sammich.

In fact, back when I was preggers, there were months at a stretch when that was all I was interested in eating.

Funny, isn't it, how something so good was considered to be poisonous for so long. Thank goodness that nightmarish hell is over!!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Uh, the torture. I have plants that won't fruit for until August. Good reminder tho to get out there and baby them along. Anyone enjoy fried green tomatoes? I've designated one plant for that purpose this year....

I'm sorry, but on this side of the pond a classic tomato sandwich does NOT have mayo in it, anymore than a cucumber one does. S+P plenty, maybe some herbs (basil for tomato, chives or spring onion for cucumber) thin white buttered bread, with the crusts cut off if you are posh. The butter stops the moisture making the bread soggy, but definately, definitively NO MAYO.

Across the pond is clearly insane. I love licking the mayonaisy juice from my arms. :wub:

Alas the cool wet spring has pushed everything back a month here in the northeast. :sad:

Even the corn is only like knee high.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

2 glugs of olive oil and one of vinegar

Interesting technical term. You think I'll find it Larousse? :biggrin:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I remember one late spring day in Fourth Grade. Jill McC. and I were eating lunch on the benches (vs. the cafeteria). I pulled out my tomato w/mayo on white and she screamed, "Ewww, yuck! Tomato sandwich!" and I sadly succumbed to peer pressure, letting out a faked enthusiastic "Yuck!" and tossed it in the trash can.

I have regretted the loss of that one tomato sandwich ever since.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Well, thanks to the uncontrollable drooling this thread caused, I actually left the house yesterday to buy tomatoes & good bread and let my SO work his magic in this variation on a classic theme...we had nice sourdough from the Silver Moon Bakery, tomato slices (denuded of their icky), hard-boiled egg slices, crispy lettuce leaves and homemade mayo.

MMMM. Heaven.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The variation I grew up on was:

'maters

salt

white bread

make the sandwich, give it a good squashing, and come back to it in about 15 minutes.

That's it. If the tomatoes are good enough you shouldn't need mayo.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard