• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Sandwiches

Varmint

I LOVE tomato sandwiches.

My parents are disgusted both by tomatoes and mayonnaise, but I insisted they buy both as soon as I read Harriet the Spy

You are so funny! Harriet the Spy was my favorite book growing up and I used to pretend I was her, prowling around the neighborhood and spying on the neighbors. I think that's probably when I learned to love tomato and mayo sandwiches too!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who loved Harriet the Spy. My parents thought I was nut.

tomato sandwich = Harriet M. Welsh

Geez, I reread that book and I still get hungry, what with the tomato sandwiches, and the cake and milk, and Little Joe Curry eating a pound of Gorgonzola and an entire cream pie, and...I particularly love the food obsessions. Everyday, it's a tomato sandwich, the way I made myself a BLT every day after school for months when I was twelve. Food ruts, you gotta love 'em.

As for own tomato sandwich: Acme sweet baguette, fontina, whatever tomato with a discernable scent, and black pepper, toasted in a hot oven. Biggest challenges: cheese slides, and risk of mouth burns.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

I'm sorry, but on this side of the pond a classic tomato sandwich does NOT have mayo in it, anymore than a cucumber one does. S+P plenty, maybe some herbs (basil for tomato, chives or spring onion for cucumber) thin white buttered bread, with the crusts cut off if you are posh. The butter stops the moisture making the bread soggy, but definately, definitively NO MAYO.

I second the no-mayo thing. and agree with your recipe (though I'm not sure we ever had fresh basil in 1970s Glasgow), Jackal, except I insist on wholemeal bread. Eaten lying on the lawn on your tummy so the drips go into the grass.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

BBT = bacon, basil & tomato. On Pepperidge Farm Toasting White, toasted of course.

My boyfriend planted 140 tomato plants this year. :wacko:

Any and all tomato sandwich variations will be employed.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

BBT = bacon, basil & tomato. On Pepperidge Farm Toasting White, toasted of course.

basilgirl..i am insanely jealous

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

basilgirl..i am insanely jealous

aliwaks:

You wouldn't be jealous if you knew of the insane amount of work that lies ahead for me. The last time we had that many tomato plants I would be up until midnight almost every night processing/canning/freezing them. :sad: We LIVED on tomato sandwiches that year. And tomato pie. And tomato juice. And tomato water. And tomato salads. And tomato sauce. And roasted tomatoes. And...

This time there are more people to share them with, though, so maybe it won't be so bad.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I'm not a mayo fan, so my ideal tomato sandwich is thick-cut sourdough bread, slices of fresh tomato sprinkled with sea salt and fresh-ground pepper, a schmear of neufchatel cheese, and a bunch of basil leaves.

Alas, we won't have ripe ones here until August...but I can look forward to late summer, and dream.

:-)

Online Food Writing Workshop: http://www.inkberry.org/onlineworkshops.html#food