• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill--Randolph

Rosie

It’s always a pleasure dining at An American Grill as Chef/owner Lou Reda always makes us feel welcomed and we know that dinner will be wonderful.

We shared a slew of appetizers, all which were tasty, but if I had to pick one that was a “must order” it was the braised short rib ravioli. And a special of zucchini blossoms stuffed with squash, onions and parmigiano cheese sitting on a raft of ricotta salda should not be missed either if they are on the menu. The vegetable strudel; salad of poached pear, blue cheese, pignoli nuts and baby greens; and grilled chicken and vegetable soup were also first-rate and filling.

Entrees were braised grouper with leeks in a sauvignon blanc sauce; tender grilled NY strip steak with gorgonzola–herb butter and shoestring potatoes; flavorful medallions of beef merlot with shallots, fresh sage and portabella mushroom; fabulous chicken breast stuffed with spinach, gorgonzola cheese and chicken-truffle sausage in a Madeira reduction and rigatoni with beef, pork and chicken served with parmigiana cheese in a natural au jus. All of the entrees were also accompanied with a colorful gourd that was filled with spaghetti squash—a very creative presentation.

Although we were stuffed we couldn’t bypass my favorite dessert of Washington state cherries marinated in Grand Marnier and Cognac and served over vanilla ice cream. Also loved the apple strudel with raisins served with vanilla ice cream and the chocolate parfait.

Great meal, as always, Lou. Phone: 973-442-9311.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 month later...
It’s always a pleasure dining at An American Grill as Chef/owner Lou Reda always makes us feel welcomed and we know that dinner will be wonderful.

We shared a slew of appetizers, all which were tasty, but if I had to pick one that was a “must order” it was the braised short rib ravioli. And a special of zucchini blossoms stuffed with squash, onions and parmigiano cheese sitting on a raft of ricotta salda should not be missed either if they are on the menu. The vegetable strudel; salad of poached pear, blue cheese, pignoli nuts and baby greens; and grilled chicken and vegetable soup were also first-rate and filling.

Entrees were braised grouper with leeks in a sauvignon blanc sauce; tender grilled NY strip steak with gorgonzola–herb butter and shoestring potatoes; flavorful medallions of beef merlot with shallots, fresh sage and portabella mushroom; fabulous chicken breast stuffed with spinach, gorgonzola cheese and chicken-truffle sausage in a Madeira reduction and rigatoni with beef, pork and chicken served with parmigiana cheese in a natural au jus. All of the entrees were also accompanied with a colorful gourd that was filled with spaghetti squash—a very creative presentation.

Since I'm new to egullet I have been spending time reading many of the postings.

All the comments about the American Grill caught my interest.  So, I was telling my husband and he said I've eaten there and that place is wonderful and the chef is a really nice guy!!  I then asked why he never took me there before????  We definitely will be going in the near future!  I respect the views of the people on this forum much more than Zagats!!!  I can't wait!!

Although we were stuffed we couldn’t bypass my favorite dessert of Washington state cherries marinated in Grand Marnier and Cognac and served over vanilla ice cream. Also loved the apple strudel with raisins served with vanilla ice cream and the chocolate parfait.

Great meal, as always, Lou.  Phone: 973-442-9311.

Lori

I don't know what just happened but I must have done something wrong!! Since I am new to egullet, I have been spending time reading the different posts but the comments about American Grill really interested me. So I was telling my husband about it and he said that he's eaten there and that the food is wonderful and the chef is a really nice guy!! I asked him why he's never taken me???? :wink: Well. we are planning to go in the near future!! I respect the views of the people on egullet much more than Zagats!!!

Lori

• 1 month later...
I look forward to coming in the very near future and meeting you as well, Lou!

Well, Saturday night, my husband and I finally made it to An American Grill. After having read so many good things about the restaurant, we were anxious to try it. We were not disappointed! In fact, it was very difficult to choose from the all diverse and very appealing items on the menu. Everything looked so interesting! I finally decided on the Thai coconut shrimp served on thinly sliced pineapple with a creamy brandy sauce. So g ood! :smile: For my entree, I had chicken stuffed with spinach and mozzarella cheese served with asparagus and mashed potatoes. It was all delicious. I was totally stuffed! :biggrin: The portions were quite generous! My husband had the veal shop and even though it was big, he managed to finish it all and not even leave a crumb on his plate! :hmmm: We chose to share a dessert because even though I wanted to, I didn't think I could eat another bite. The vanilla ice cream with a grand marinier sauce and cherries soaked in cognac :raz: was so tasty, I ended up eating more than I thought I could!! We also had the chance to have a nice chat with Lou about the crazy restaurant business. Since he is such an "old" hand :cool: , he was happy to give a couple of "novices" :huh: :huh: some helpful tips!! We had a wonderful evening and are anxious to return! Thanks Lou!!

Lori

So, Lou, what's the deal?  You're in Zagat's but with no rating!  (I got my free copy for entering reviews)  Is there anyone who understands the method to their madness??

you have got to be the biggest whiner I've heard on here.......!!

Just to stroke the fire I received a PM stating that Kaister is a restaurant owner nearby. I've asked the person to PM me something to verify, henceforth why I haven't said which one.

OK, this is getting good as I've confirmed with highlighting Kaister's name that he's the owner of Bula in Newton.

Brad, anytime you'd like to call me a whiner to my face please stop down and do so. Badmouthing other owners personally in public just isn't something professionals do.

Edited by Lreda (log)

• 4 weeks later...
He told me yesterday you were coming. Gotta get that boy off the vodka and drinking some wine. See ya later.

I'll be bringing killer wine to Michael's on Sunday for the Super Bowl. A Calera Selleck 2000 and a 1998 Beurenard CDP Rouge

Speaking of super.......... that's what lunch was today. Both the short ribs ravioli app. and the stuffed pork tenderloin were without question NYC quality.....and very reasonably priced.

and Lou...you're a mensch .

thanks for everything. See you soon....

And for you e-gulleteers who have never been.......GO

the American Grill is incredible AND reasonably priced.

By the way here is a shoutout and a huge thank you for the following restaurants I discovered as a result of E-Gullet (besides An American Grill)

China 46

Saigon Republic

Mee Thai

Fascino

Brookside Thai

Mo' Pho

Wondee

An Amazing Hot Dog (its is TRULY amazing..been there 3 times since it opened!!)

I'm sure there are probably a few others but those are the ones that come to mind immediately.

the journey is the prize....

Jeff

Edited by alembic54 (log)

Thanks Jeff, appriciate the support. I know you remember what we spoke about as to your comments to Rosie. Let me know when you, Micheal and your spouses will be dining with us. like I said no corkage fee but make sure I get a little taste. :laugh:

He told me yesterday you were coming. Gotta get that boy off the vodka and drinking some wine. See ya later.

I'll be bringing killer wine to Michael's on Sunday for the Super Bowl. A Calera Selleck 2000 and a 1998 Beurenard CDP Rouge

Speaking of super.......... that's what lunch was today. Both the short ribs ravioli app. and the stuffed pork tenderloin were without question NYC quality.....and very reasonably priced.

and Lou...you're a mensch .

thanks for everything. See you soon....

And for you e-gulleteers who have never been.......GO

the American Grill is incredible AND reasonably priced.

By the way here is a shoutout and a huge thank you for the following restaurants I discovered as a result of E-Gullet (besides An American Grill)

China 46

Saigon Republic

Mee Thai

Fascino

Brookside Thai

Mo' Pho

Wondee

An Amazing Hot Dog (its is TRULY amazing..been there 3 times since it opened!!)

I'm sure there are probably a few others but those are the ones that come to mind immediately.

the journey is the prize....

Jeff

WOW, Thanks for the shout out!! It's folks like you that have made our first three weeks AMAZING!! New saying at AHD--"Pleasing Hot Dog Freaks for over Three Weeks", LOL!!!

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Ok I have read enough that I will be calling Lou to make a reservation for my hubby and I next Sat. But something I noticed was a comment about corkage fee. My hubby and I go to St Martin every year and bring back some amazing french wine. Are we allowed to bring it??

Thanks

Tracey

Tracey, you may bring your wine in but I do have a corking fee of $15. I waived Jeff's because his pal eats lunch at my place 2-3 a week. Now if your wine is that fabulous, well you never know.

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lou are you open for lunch on Mondays?...and just as important will you be working Monday the 20th?

I am thinking I have finally heard enough about steak sandwiches at AAG :biggrin:

the other Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Hey Lou are you open for lunch on Mondays?...and just as important will you be working Monday the 20th?

I am thinking I have finally heard enough about steak sandwiches at AAG :biggrin:

the other Tracey

Don't know if I'll be there yet. My kids are off from school and being they live in Vernon, they enjoy using me as an excuse to hit Rockaway Mall. Chances are we'll be there to have lunch as the kids love my staff, they spoil the shit out of them. Give me an idea what time you're thinking of going and I can give you a difinitive answer.

Ok finally made it to AAG last night. No snow, nothing was stopping us.. Not even the bitter cold.

Got a lovely booth.. Nice and romantic. Ordered Martini's and did they pack a punch.

Took me at least 10 minutes to just look over the extensive menu and another 10 to decide what to have.

APP: I had the smoked duck salad. Nicely prepared and very tasty. A huge portion. Could have made it my main meal.

Hubby has ceaser salad. Great dressing.

Main: I had the Ahi tuna coated with white and black sesame... Oh my when the plate came out. It seemed like a plate for two. Huge portion and the tuna just melted in my mouth. Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch today.

Hubby had a special of prawns and clams in a tomato sause with pasta... The shrimp looked more like mini lobsters. He ate the entire thing down so fast.

Ended with a great capp. and split a creme brulee which was good.

So thanks to this great board for introducing me to a new place.

Lou you got a great place there. Be seeing you again soon.

Tracey

After much consideration, and reading her menus from several contenders, it's official: my roommate has chosen "An American Grill" for her birthday dinner destination in a few weeks.

(I confess I did encourage her, but the menu clinched the decision!)

I'll report back after, of course. Lou, we'll be sure to say hello (hoping you'll be there.)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne