• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill--Randolph

Rosie

S**t, you didn't like the rice? Damn, i think that's one of my better discoveries, stir-fried risotto, made with abborio rice, scallions, soy, fried egg, ginger and minced garlic. Sorry you were disappointed. Salt on the arugola, yes it does happen, our bad. As for the bread, I can't seem to please everyone. People's taste in bread never fails to suprise me. It's not stale, but it's just served at room temperature, some like it heated, some like it at room temp. Some like plain, some like herbs, some like it with butter, some with olive oil. I can't win sometimes.

On 2nd thought, perhaps I shouldn't say it wasn't stale but I served 4 different breads from 2 bakeries and the forcaccia I make is homemade. It would be tough to say ALL was stale.

Overall, I would say you had a medicore meal at my place which I apologize for. I hope you'll give us a 2nd chance.

Dee and I had dinner the other night at An American Grill. Lou was his usual welcoming self, and agreed to select for us.

Amuse was a piece of foccacia topped with a thin smear of tomato/garlic, and dusted with a parmigiano cheese. Crisp bottom, relatively light taste.

I had a first plate of the ahi tuna carpaccio, thin slices of ahi fanned on a blue and green patterned plate, with zig zags of wasabi mayonnaise lines creating boxes within the grid. Two or three had small grids of a salmon roe. I like this presentation and enjoyed the taste immensely. The ahi was almost buttery, with a hint of smoke, the mayo was sharp, but not bitter and the roe offered nice salty mouthfeel.

Dee had the "crabmeat martini." Served in a martini glass, this dish had pieces of crabmeat, an olive on a stick, a dusting of red pepper, a few red pepper slices for contrast, and about an inch of alcohol. The crabmeat was infused with the martini taste. She liked it a lot, and I thought it was an interesting concept. I'm not a martini drinker, but I think it would make a lot of sense in a bloody mary. We had a MacMurray Pinot Noir with this course. I thought it went wonderfully with the carpaccio, and with the short rib which followed.

Lou's short rib ravioli was next out. This presentation is two six inch diameter ravioli, filled with about an inch and a half of short rib meat. This rich, lush center is surrounded by the pasta. The accompanying sauce is composed of a wine tomato sauce, enriched with mushrooms and carrot shreds.

Next out was a "his and hers." I received two tempura panko crusted soft shell crabs. The coating was a thin panko crust with ginger and garlic, surrounding pieces of two crabs. This was very good, but I was already getting very full. Very crunchy, very "welcome to summer" aspect to it.

Dee had a slow cooked Long Island duckling with cherries and raisins. The plate was augmented by hollowed out carrot segments serving as "napkin rings" for short pieces of haricot vert, and an asparagus spear in puff pastry. Very impressive plating.

The duckling was very moist. Lou explained later that the marinated duckling is seared for a few moments in a 600degree oven, with the steam retained in a cloche. The duckling is then allowed to slow cook on a warm plate for a while and is finished in the oven. The meat was cooked to medium (pink) and was very tasty. The wines were a Tasman Bay Sauv Blanc and a Ravenswood Zin, which worked fine with the meal. I hadn't had the Tasman Bay before, but I liked it.

Dessert was a chocolate mousse presented in a chocolate bulb, light brown inside a dark brown demi-orb, with a swirl of vanilla and chocolate on the plate. Dee had a martini glass of sliced strawberries lining the side and a center of whipped cream over black and rasberries. Very light ending to a filling meal.

All in, with tip, the meal came to $190. Very delightful, although the portions could be slimmed down (like me) with no significant loss of effect. Waitstaff was responsive and very helpful.

Fine evening, and Lou's company is always enjoyable.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Just wanted to bring this up to the top of the topics and remind everyone that this week and next week, Mon-Thurs we have a $30.04 prix-fixe.

Details in Rosie's previous posting.

Thanks, Lou

Wow, Lou--that IS a bargain! This really is a great opportunity for those who've been meaning to get to AAG...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Just got home and to tell you the truth, after 2 nights of the prix-fixe, it's worked well. I always thought this would only work in a town or metropolitan situation but I had a lot of regulars who said they came in because they can cheap it.

To me that's cool.

6 Nights to go and I'm actaully having a fun time with this.

I'm going to start thinking of gimmicks for high-end restaurants.

What would everyone think of getting a $20 gift certificate, to be used on your next visit, for any bottle of wine priced over $50. Has anyone checked out my wine list?

I would use that type of gift certificate.

I also like the prix fixe option. The restaurant in town where I live (Dans on Main in Metuchen) has a special prix fixe menu Monday through Friday year round, along with the regular menu. They've had it for about a year. We go there a lot, and typically I order the prix fixe, and my husband orders everything else :-)

So, Dan seems to do well with it.

Casey

Just got home and to tell you the truth, after 2 nights of the prix-fixe, it's worked well. I always thought this would only work in a town or metropolitan situation but I had a lot of regulars who said they came in because they can cheap it.

To me that's cool.

6 Nights to go and I'm actaully having a fun time with this.

I'm going to start thinking of gimmicks for high-end restaurants.

What would everyone think of getting a $20 gift certificate, to be used on your next visit, for any bottle of wine priced over $50. Has anyone checked out my wine list?

Love the idea. Will there be a time limit on the coupon?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 months later...

had an excellent dinner at an american grill this weekend. this was my first time there, but it certainly won't be my last.

amuse: bruschetta topped with prosciutto and garnished with the most delicious olives...mmmm, i keep thinking about them. they were wonderful.

apps: i ordered a wild mushroom risotto from the specials menu, mr p ordered the santa fe firecracker calamari from the regular menu. both were delicious; the risotto especially so...in fact, i keep thinking about that too.... :unsure:

entrees: i ordered another special -- hawaiian pink snapper served with fingerling potatoes and pearl onions in a light fish broth. the fish was perfect: fresh, light, and delicately flavored, which i appreciated after the rich risotto. mr p ordered pork tenderloin stuffed with cornbread sausage stuffing finished with port wine and slices of granny smith apples. i enjoy pork, but this is not a preparation that i'd normally gravitate toward, and yet...i really loved this dish. mr p did too.

i should mention that portions of all of the above were quite generous, but i still fully intended to order dessert. before i had a chance, however, we were presented with a beautiful plate of mini cannolis -- six, to be exact. and they, too, were delicious. we ended our meal with an excellent cappucino (such a rarity).

service was friendly and attentive. and lou, it was so nice to meet you. your restaurant is wonderful. don't change anything! :smile:

see you soon!

No, thank you. It was a pleasure to meet you and Mr P. It's funny, on aquiet holiday weekend I had both you and another egullet member who prefers to keep quiet lately. Glad you enjoyed eveything and I appriciate you posting on your meal.

Tommy, you should have made the drive for your Tuesday night meal.

Best, Lou

Tommy, you should have made the drive for your Tuesday night meal.

Best, Lou

brutha, i was 2 seconds from doing just that tonight. but i was coming from the city and the roads were still effed up and whatnot. i ended up having an interesting, but not fun, snack in NYC. should have just headed out your way. hell, i might have been leaving Randolph right about now had i done that. :biggrin:

next time if the elements work with me.

After reading this forum, my husband and I found ourselves kinda sorta near the area a couple of Thursdays ago, and had a great meal. Everything was solid, and the short rib ravioli was my favorite dish---I may have to go on another braising kick this fall. Only regretted being way too full to try dessert.

There was a big retirement party going on in the top part of the restaurant, and the speeches were so effusive that I almost felt like we were in one of those theater adventure-meals, like Tony & Tina's Wedding (though with much better food, of course). Call it That Nice Engineer's Retirement Party. After one anecdote, I found myself clapping as though I were up in the party (out of habit?) and my husband had to nudge me under the table. It's a bit of a schlep from Hoboken, but we plan to return.

Lou gets a mention in the star ledger although it has nothing to do with food. If any press is good press than here ya go...

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index...39791484990.xml

'He arrived last Friday at Newark Liberty International Airport, dined with his longtime girlfriend at the American Grill restaurant in Randolph, then celebrated her birthday in Manhattan. '

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

Great reporting, get the name of the bloody restaurant correct. It's An American Grill, not the american grill. Friggin Star Ledger.  :wacko:

Hello all,

I have been a lurker for some time now. Just wanted to say I love An American Grill. I have been going for years and every meal has been solid and wonderful. The staff is always friendly, professional and courteous.

PS. I love this forum.

Septemberdog61--Welcome to eGullet and thanks for your post. Keep us informed about all the restaurants you like to dine at.

Thank you Rosie. Will do.

Last week I had a great meal at Verjus Saturday. This weekend I will be in Astoria Queens visting my parents. My mom is making Lamb Kapama (Shanks baked in the oven with orzo, tomatoes, cinnamon and kefalotyri cheese.

Sunday we might go to Kyclades on Ditmars or Trottorria L'Incontro(sp?)

we ended our meal with an excellent cappucino (such a rarity).

Lou - I almost never see a comment like that about coffee, espresso or cappuccino served in restaurants - not even when people report on the really high end places. What's your secret? Is there someone on your staff who has been properly trained on maintainign and operating the equipment and do you monitor coffee quality and freshness stringently?

Owen,

As a matter of fact I believe coffee is the last chance to make a good impression on a meal. In my mind thre's nothing worse than enjoying a meal and having a louse coffe, espresso or cappuccino. I believe than having a industry size espresso machine that get much use produces a better espresso. Proper maintanence on the machine is a must and the brand of beans also important. I also grind my own beans right before use. My staff is trained to use the machine and takes temperature of the steamed milk before serving a cappuccino.

Hello all,

I have been a lurker for some time now.  Just wanted to say I love An American  Grill.  I have been going for years and every meal has been solid and wonderful.  The staff is always friendly, professional and courteous. 

PS.  I love this forum.

Thanks for the kind words. Make sure you introduce yourself next time in, although I'm sure I know who you are if you've been coming in for years.

Lou

It was “ladies night out” and we had a scrumptious dinner at An American Grill. Chef Lou Reda always has a smile on his face and a surprise from the kitchen.

We started off with homemade gnocchi, fava beans and chunks of lobster meat (out of the shell) surrounded by a spicy lobster sauce. Chef Lou said his was going to put this dish on his “specials” menu this weekend. Try it, as it is a winner.

Next we had a refreshing salad of greens with tomatoes and mozzarella tossed with a lip smackin’ vinaigrette. Entrees are big-- we all brought enough home for dinner tomorrow. I had a grilled fillet of red snapper served over grilled radicchio and cannelloni beans that was drizzled with a warm balsamic/herb dressing. The fillet was so big I asked if it was on steroids. I can also highly recommend the breast of chicken stuffed with chicken truffle sausage, Gorgonzola cheese and spinach served in a Cognac and truffle butter sauce. The different ingredients and flavors were well-balanced. I couldn’t stop stealing tastes of this dish. Finally we had perfectly grilled paillards of chicken that had been marinated with garlic, scallions, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The chicken was great but we all swooned over the creamy roasted herbed red potatoes. Chef Lou—how do you cook them? My sister in law—Miss No Carbohydrates – couldn’t stop popping them into her mouth and said they were the best potatoes she has ever eaten.

We did not have dessert. BTW—if you don’t want a big dinner or are by yourself, the bar is hopping and you can have dinner there. Phone: 973-442-9311

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

It was “ladies night out” and we had a scrumptious dinner at An American Grill. Chef Lou Reda always has a smile on his face and a surprise from the kitchen.

We started off with homemade gnocchi, fava beans and chunks of lobster meat (out of the shell) surrounded by a spicy lobster sauce. Chef Lou said his was going to put this dish on his “specials” menu this weekend. Try it, as it is a winner.

Next we had a refreshing salad of greens with tomatoes and mozzarella tossed with a lip smackin’ vinaigrette. Entrees are big-- we all brought enough home for dinner tomorrow. I had a grilled fillet of red snapper served over grilled radicchio and cannelloni beans that was drizzled with a warm balsamic/herb dressing. The fillet was so big I asked if it was on steroids. I can also highly recommend the breast of chicken stuffed with chicken truffle sausage, Gorgonzola cheese and spinach served in a Cognac and truffle butter sauce. The different ingredients and flavors were well-balanced. I couldn’t stop stealing tastes of this dish. Finally we had perfectly grilled paillards of chicken that had been marinated with garlic, scallions, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The chicken was great but we all swooned over the creamy roasted herbed red potatoes. Chef Lou—how do you cook them? My sister in law—Miss No Carbohydrates – couldn’t stop popping them into her mouth and said they were the best potatoes she has ever eaten.

We did not have dessert. BTW—if you don’t want a big dinner or are by yourself, the bar is hopping and you can have dinner there. Phone: 973-442-9311

Danish butter, danish butter, cream & danish butter. :wink: