• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill--Randolph

Rosie

You guys can definately come next time just give me some time to possibley need to eat again :smile: My mother wants to come too but they dont like anything so I wont let 'em.

damn this place is good

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You guys can definately come next time just give me some time to possibley need to eat again :smile:  My mother wants to come too but they dont like anything so I wont let 'em.

damn this place is good

Hey Tracey - Vicky and I are definitely in the next time you go. Haven't seen you or Lou since the sushi lunch at Nori last year, and besides it's not like AAG is a secret to us NJ eGulleters :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

If you all like we can do a dinner by me whenever you like April and after. I'm having knee surgery on St Patty's Day( I'll do anything to remain sober that day). I'll be home for a couple of weeks rehapping so it'll be easy to put together.

Didn't there used to be a website for An American Grill? Maybe there is still?

I've just spent 20 minutes running various searches both in eG and the Web at large, came up with zilch.

I'm tired. If the website still exists & anyone has the link, please post.

Thanks.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Didn't there used  to be a website for An American Grill?  Maybe there is still?

I've just spent 20 minutes running various searches both in eG and the Web at large, came up with zilch.

I'm tired.  If the website still exists & anyone has the link, please post.

Thanks.

Is this it? click

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

nope, but this is

an american grill

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

THanks. Bookmarking it now.

One of my goals for this year to get out there for a dinner.

Occurs to me now I should have thought to google on "anamericangrill" instead of "'an american grill'". Brain not function well too dinner before.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

If you all like we can do a dinner by me whenever you like April and after. I'm having knee surgery on St Patty's Day( I'll do anything to remain sober that day). I'll be home for a couple of weeks rehapping so it'll be easy to put together.

Well Lou, you can count Vicky and me in straight away, regardless of day, date, snow (hey snow's possible in Jersey in April) :biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Well Lou, you can count Vicky and me in straight away, regardless of day, date, snow (hey snow's possible in Jersey in April) :biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

I might just have to plan a dinner party if George Orwell and the gang allow me. Date and menu to be announced.

Lou

Edited by Lreda (log)

I might just have to plan a dinner party if George Orwell and the gang allow me. Date and menu to be announced.

Lou

DO! DO!!! And be careful with that knee, willya? :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Question? What's a ISO?

As I understand it, ISO = I Seek Only. It's derived from the abbreviations used in those newspaper personal ads, where someone is seeking someone else with specific kinks. The implication is no one else need apply. E.g:, "ISO SWF 43-52 NS DF Vegan for long walks to gather roots & greens."

Kind of ironic to see its use here, considering how the whole thing evolved. But I still think the mechanism is a good idea.

Probably shouldn't be saying this since it's not strictly on topic. Oh well, delete if you must.

Funny, I thought it meant In Search Of (in this case, dining companions)...!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Yup...it's: "In Seach Of" :smile:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Yup...it's: "In Seach Of" :smile:

Various online dictionaries agree with you & none of them agrees with me.

I bow to your wisdom & stand corrected.

Well as usual, I'll be the proverbial stick in the mud and say what gives with this ISO thing. We all seem to get along well in this forum and as we all know after sometimes burning 2-3 months organizing a lunch or dinner that draws 8-12 on average these events ( Unless it's a Ching 46 event) takes time.

Now, I've read this ISO link and seem to think that it slows the process down and hey shit, NJ"s forum only has 15-25 regualr posters. Hello.................this aint Grammercy Park or Riverside in the Bronx where I also reside.

Perhaps, this should be amended a bit?

Insanely Stoopid Oridnance, but I digress...

I actually think the ISO... topic is a good idea, but give a chance after the weather warms up a bit. It's so cold still that I don't think a lot of people are going a lot of places.

Actually, an informal survey shows that the ISO threads aren't receiving much (if any) action on any of the regional forums! With the exception of the forum hosts, of course--but even those have been few and far between.

Lou, what's coming to your menu in the next month or two that will knock us out? :biggrin:

Edit: Pbrod, I have to disagree...I think plenty of people are still going out this time of year! Lou could probably speak to that as well.

Edited by Curlz (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Lou, how's the healing process coming along? When will you be back at the restaurant? I have chosen An American Grill for my b-day dinner, and I want to wait until you will be there. I can't tell you how excited I am to try your restaurant!

Well as usual, I'll be the proverbial stick in the mud and say what gives with this ISO thing. We all seem to get along well in this forum and as we all know after sometimes burning 2-3 months organizing a lunch or dinner that draws 8-12 on average these events ( Unless it's a Ching 46 event) takes time.

Now, I've read this ISO link and seem to think that it slows the process down and hey shit, NJ"s forum only has 15-25 regualr posters. Hello.................this aint Grammercy Park or Riverside in the Bronx where I also reside.

Perhaps, this should be amended a bit?

That's a good point, Lou. You'll recall that the process of setting up the sushi lunch involved a public evaluation and discussion of many sushi places which might not have merited a thread on their own. Kyoto, Nikko, Yasuda in Madison, and others.

BTW, good luck on the knee. You're fortunate to have a solid team in place at AAG, many owners aren't anywhere near that lucky.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks for all the good wishes folks and I'm ready to go back to work but The doctor told me to take it easy. I'll be in for a few hours this weekend and back full-time Monday.

If you all look around this ISO crap ain't taking hold and we'll see what they the forum hosts will do. If you're planing a dinner at The Grill I see no reason you can't post a date and you can PM in the meantime.

Schmooty, let me know when your B_Day celebration is and I'll help you the best I can.

Paul, I'm lucky the support system is in place but it's never comfortable being away and worrying what the hell every one is up to.

• 1 month later...

So we did it. Without an ISO post. Several of us flew under the radar and went to AAG last night. I gotta hand it to Lou for pulling out ALL the stops and presenting us with our very own 7 course tasting menu of incredible variety, showcasing the culinary mastery that IS Lou himself. And to Tom, Vicki, Tracey, and Karl, you guys make it all worth it; ya know, membership.

ON TO THE MENU!!!!!!!

It all began with an amuse of Gazpacho with Cajun Grilled Shrimp

(NO picture 'cuz I forgt that I had my camera, DOH!!)

1st Course:

Sashimi Tuna with Green Apple Wasabi, Cucumber, and Seaweed

(Just before my last bite I remembered the camera)

Sorry for the blurry pic, I was trembling from the food being soooo good!!

gallery_16368_1204_685262.jpg

2nd Course:

Grilled Baby Quail with Morrel Mushroom and Wild Ramp Risotto

gallery_16368_1204_198972.jpg

3rd Course:

Ugly Tomato with Serrano Ham, Baby Arugala, and homemade Mozzarella

gallery_16368_1204_175906.jpg

4th Course:

Stripped Ravioli with Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes

gallery_16368_1204_319660.jpg

5th Course:

Passion Fish with Corn and Avacado Salsa and Crispy Tortilla

gallery_16368_1204_205780.jpg

6th Course:

Grilled Marinated Sliced Flank Steak served with Hashed Potatoes

gallery_16368_1204_110251.jpg

7th Course:

Poached Pears and Walnut Ice Cream

gallery_16368_1204_950645.jpg

We then got a tour of the immaculate kitchen by Lou himself.

gallery_16368_1204_421944.jpg

A fine host he is. Took really good care of us. We told him that we all wrote for Egullet, but he didn't buy it and charged us full price.

MODERATORS: The previous statement was meant to be a joke. We, members in good standing, would never, nor do we encourage others to stoop so low as to suggest that they write for your fine website to get a free anything.

We wish you all were there, REALLY we do, but there are just so many hoops one is willing to jump through, just so much red tape one is willing to wade through to make something like this happen.

In closing, GO TO AN AMERICAN GRILL AND EAT WELL!!!!

LIVE EG

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Well I think Eric has this review pretty much under control. The only real food I have had since last night is leftover flank steak...now really where can you get a tasting menu where you have leftovers?

The service was perfect as usuall even after a party of 40 had just left and the Mother day chaos about to ensue.

Good company good food and a wonderful host....it really is cool to sit in a restaurant chilling with the chef :cool:

Till we meet again....hmmmm we all did agree it was ok to hate bobby but go to his restaurants right...Lou too

tracey

live eg

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage