• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Dine in Cape May/ Wildwood?

doctoro

Hi I am traveling to Cape May on Sunday and staying until Wed June 2

Where are some memorable seafood or just plain good restaurants I can try.

I know some of the Victorian b&b's must have nice places, but are there any other things that might not be to expensive but have a fairly dedicated staff?

Best Pizza In Southern Jersey?

Best Breakfast in Cape May?

Best Italian In Southern Jersey?

Best restaurant near the ocean?

You get the picture, any experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch and Happy Memorial Day Weekend! :biggrin:

A Ca Mia is a lovely Italian place in Cape May.

Of course my favorite restaurant in Cape May is Martini Beach right above Cabanas on Beach Drive. I'll be putting in some serious time at the bar there this weekend I'm sure. The food is also excellent. Suzilightning will back me up on this. The view of the ocean from the porch is lovely.

The Water's Edge is also very nice beachfront dining. It's a bit further north on Beach Drive. It's probably my favorite non-stuffy but still very nice restaurant (as opposed to the Washington Inn or the Ebbitt Room) in Cape May.

Lobster House is a great place to sit outside, have a few beers and tear crustaceans limb from limb in the sunshine. It'll undoubtedly be packed all weekend.

Mad Batter does an excellent brunch, but it's a bit more upscale than a "breakfast" place. It's just a nice restaurant with very creative food.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

mad batter is ok for breakfast. think about doing your own breakfast, remember this is the cheapest meal for a restaurant to produce therefore the best return for the money. walk up to the mall for muffins, breads, croissants, etc from the bakery. if you are staying at a b&b you don't have to deal with breakfast.

if you want views of the ocean, call early and ask for the "sunset table" at martini beach - get there about a half hour before sunset and it is so wonderful to share a table for two with really two views - the sunset over cape may and the ocean to your left. the menu has changed so you have the ability to mix and match small plates(my preference is two small plates and share a salad with john while he has a full plate) or order full plates of something you like.

just ate at the black duck. it was ok - i reviewed it elsewhere. maybe i would give it another chance. i've never eaten at water's edge and we use lobster house for take away only - have eaten there twice but with no reservations - i'm not crazy about it. we buy stuff we can cook at the condo.

you might like to pop over to wildwood crest to marie nicole's or two mile landing. less crowded and good food but they do need reservations during season.

hope you had a good time

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Martini Beach and really enjoyed the atmosphere with the singer, and the delicious martinis. I will say that the porterhouse special I ordered was a little pricey for the size. And I ordered it Med rare and it came Med well on the other hand our appetizers were excellent and the salad was nice. I didn't complain about the steak because I was hoping it would be more tender towards the middle but it was not to be. My guess is the waiter probably brought out someone else's steak. Because I did see a customer return their steak to the kitchen to be cooked more. Oh well I should have said something but I was in to good of a mood to deal with adversity. The Lobster House was nice to, fresh seafood how can you go wrong. The oysters were the star of this show. Fresh as rain water and had a nice salty taste. We also ate at Oyster Bay, was quite good but not spectacular. All in all we loved the food in Cape May even the fudge was great!

And my reuban at some bar in the Mall was quite fresh.

I will dine in Cape May again and thanks for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Try the Washington Inn for a nice dinner. There used to be a small hole-in-the-wallplace called Louisa's that didn't take reservations, but had excellent food, don't know if it's still there.

Louisa's is still there. Cash only. Reservation system is a little quirky. They start taking reservations on Tuesday at 4 pm for that week only. Food, however, is the epitome of "fresh,local, seasonal". Prices are relatively reasonable for Cape May. Bring your own wine. Will be there next week! Also good: 410 Bank St.. Daniel's on Broadway. Both a bit more upscale and $$$.

Mark A. Bauman

I am down here now for the remainder of this summer and still enjoy The Mad Batter for breakfast on the porch. It is by far, not great, but it is decent and the location is charming. They boast <fruit smoothies> on their menu and they appear so appetizing, however, they are merely fruit and ice.

I still love the Blue Claw for a nice quiet dinner , a bit on the outskirts of town, and the Water's Edge is worth a trip for that special dinner you might want to have on your trip.

So far , I haven't seen too too many traffic jams, crowds , or long waiting lines in most of the restaurants.....I hide out near sunset beach.

Try the Ulgy Mug for a seafood burger. This might not sound good but it is to me.

Burger topped with swiss cheese or provolone, and shrimp salad. Delicious.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Let me add my votes for Water's Edge and Louisa's! I spent two nights last week in a Cape May that was not yet flush with tourists. Water's Edge was a lovely, somewhat trendy setting with fairly inventive and tasty cuisine. Be prepared to spend $100 plus for dinner, but it is worth it. Louisa's is a small, informal nook with a relatively short menu -- but everything was so fresh and everyone was very friendly. Don't plan on Louisa's if you mind sitting elbow to elbow with other diners. The room is tiny. The food was so delicious, however, we enjoyed disecting our entrees with our neighbors and guessing the ingredients of the delicious cabbage salad that accompanied our seafood. BTW, Louisa's is also a bring your own.

Enjoy! Wiener, I envy you...

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

Unfortunately , this will be my last summer down here. We will continue to visit in the off season but the house is getting to congested with family members , friends, finacees and even dogs and cats. I am growing tired of arguments over who is coming down and who is not. I have been fortunate to have been able to get down here for the last few years.

Believe it or not Wildwood is getting a bit better for restaurants . Not just the boards anymore.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!