• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

10 dirtiest foods (not in a good way)

Hey, it came from Men's Health Magazine, and no one even said a word about cigarette butts in half-full beers!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Come to think about it, maybe nicotine tea helps them stop smoking. :raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The only item I totally agree with is about washing the rinds of melons. It's not just the food growers/processors/transporters/store workers who handle them, it's all the nasty dirty customers checking for ripe ones. I use a scrubby brush, liquid dish soap and hot water on the rinds of all melons before slicing them open, with a clean knife, btw. You don't want to know how sick I got from a watermelon as an inspiration for this policy.

A good example of this is propylene glycol. This chemical is mostly used as an antifreeze. The "food grade" version of this product is often used in closed loop "cold water-often incorrectly called brine) cooling systems in food plants and beverage plants (just about every microbrewery built has this type of system). Occasionally, the product will actually be used IN something. 

If you drink flavored coffee, you're ingesting propylene glycol. Vanilla nut....Southern pecan...Amaretto....they are all pg based. The flavorings are made in a facility that also makes "good smells" for products like bleach.

I know this because I've toured a flavors facility and spent a few years mixing up the flavored coffees where I work.

I've always wondered what would happen to your insides if you drank enough of that stuff.

The only item I totally agree with is about washing the rinds of melons. It's not just the food growers/processors/transporters/store workers who handle them, it's all the nasty dirty customers checking for ripe ones. I use a scrubby brush, liquid dish soap and hot water on the rinds of all melons before slicing them open, with a clean knife, btw. You don't want to know how sick I got from a watermelon as an inspiration for this policy.

No, I suspect I don't. I was lucky not to get sick from watermelons sliced open with dirty knives on the streets of Beijing and environs in 1987.

But you're picking your poison. Some of the soap will get into your food, especially if you're like me and like to drink up the watermelon juice that collects on the bottom of the plate. I just wash 'em in cold water, then cut and eat.

Michael aka "Pan"

Actually, this is a good practice. Especially with cantaloupes since their rind is rough and has lots of little hidey-holes for the buggles. I can see how you could have gotten a bad bug from a melon. A lot of folks don't think about the slicing operation tranporting the bugs to the portion that you actually eat.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

So 300 people die each year from eating eggs? The population in the US as of 30 seconds ago is 293,303,098.

I'll take the risk.

That's the kind of crazy gal I am.

Stephanie Kay