• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Tongue Thing"

DonRocks

Hah...well...thanks very much! About the schmaltz thing...I am actually a shiksa but grew up in the Catskills so I know just a bit about jewish food. My mom, another shiksa... makes her chopped liver with .... shhhhhhh.... bacon fat. :::: hiding :::::

:biggrin:

Edited by Pickles (log)

I'm kind of embarrassed, but I have something to add. I find that when I'm really stuffed, but of course continuing to eat, I tend to stick my tongue out, place the food on my tongue and bring it into my mouth. O.k., not as blatant as that description, but something close. Don't know why.

As for tongue drinkers, I've known a few women who, whether drinking from a glass or a bottle, would dart their tongue out to make the first contact before the receptacle hit their lips. Never decided whether I thought it was sexy, trashy or a delightful combination.

Never decided whether I thought it was sexy, trashy or a delightful combination.

See, I told you. Sexy.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Never decided whether I thought it was sexy, trashy or a delightful combination.

See, I told you. Sexy.

this *clearly* depends on the owner of the tongue. we're talking two extremes here, at least as far as i'm concerned. i cannot stress this enough.

Count yourself lucky that you're just now noticing these things. *shudder*

I've always had to make an effort to tune it all out, whether it's strangers or loved ones---the dear one who ate like a toddler, stuffing her fingers in her mouth and smacking her lips as she chewed; the one who moaned loudly through every meal; the one who never stopped talking, no matter how full her mouth was; the flamboyant tongue eaters you mentioned (who seem more often to be women); the one who likes everything so painfully spicy he always has to stop mid-meal for a big honking nose blow.

I see nothing. I hear nothing. :wink:

"Hey, don't borgnine the sandwich." -- H. Simpson

Honey...please forgive me...please...but it's T-O-N-G-U-E. Not "tounge." All this piercing talk reminds me of some old comedy schtick where the one cowboy shoots another cowboy full of holes, and then he drinks water and suddenly resembles a fountain. :raz: I see these kids drinking soda and I duck...

Whoa... it has been a long couple of weeks...I know nothing I've said in the past month has made sense, now I know nothing I've written in the past month has made sense either.

Gourmet Anarchy

I think the truly disgusting people here are the ones that observe how other people eat and then make fun of them.

Who cares what someone does with their tongue when they eat?

Get a life!

I'm wondering if this post is indicative of a new trend occurring everywhere.

In Seattle during the last few weeks we've been inundated with a Television Advertisement that may have some relationship to the original post.

There this Guy in sitting at a Bar/Lounge who very attentively uses his tongue, maybe a 6 inches, not the 4 incher complimented on previous posts to ingest the contents of a bottle of beverage observed by a audience of very attractive young woman who definitely appear to be impressed, especially by the comment made to each other.

Now I've seem this add numerous times, I'm sure others have also seen the add, since it's shown on every regular channel often nightly.

Does anyone else have any opinions, most of my more younger friends seem interested in pursuing lessons or act envious, but are all impressed. Being a Mature Gentleman I haven't asked any ladies directly about their impressions, but following this thread has piqued my curiosity.

Irwin :unsure::rolleyes:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Who cares what someone does with their tongue when they eat?

Hmmm....well....I think table manners have gone to the dogs. I think when you're home, you can eat like a pig if that's your thing. When you're out, I really don't want to see your sweat pants, baseball hat, oily/unbrushed hair and your tongue hanging out like a rabid dog as you chew with your gob open. I also don't like slumping, slurping, chowing down, tooth-picking, nose-honking and any form of flatulance. Add to that shouting "HOW YA DOIN'? :cool:??" like a hog-caller from Butcher Holler when you see a friend at another table across the restaurant. So if you see me, keep these things in mind or I'll have to beat you with my breadsticks until you're silly. :shock:

You know what drives me C.R.A.Z.Y.? People picking their teeth with straws. My mom does this, and I love her dearly but it makes me want to scream. I understand needing to get the stuff out (I have cavities, weird teeth, and no dental insurance, so I occasionally find entire steaks between my teeth) but UGH. Carry some floss and go to the restroom (or, if you're like me, pick a piece of string off your chef pants - they're great for having stray strings - and go to the restroom - unsanitary in the extreme, but private).

I will admit to the spoon trick. I have a very small mouth and sometimes I get more on the spoon than I can fit. I try to be conscious of it but I know when my SO feeds me ice cream I have to do that all the time. :blink:

Jennie

As for tongue drinkers, I've known a few women who, whether drinking from a glass or a bottle, would dart their tongue out to make the first contact before the receptacle hit their lips. Never decided whether I thought it was sexy, trashy or a delightful combination.

This manouvre actually serves a purpose...

If you lick the edge of the glass first, you don't get lipstick trasferring to the rim of the glass, it just slides...

The trick is to do it discreetly..... it is possible...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

(or, if you're like me, pick a piece of string off your chef pants - they're great for having stray strings - and go to the restroom - unsanitary in the extreme, but private)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Noise is music. All else is food.

One thing that makes free will great are the inevitable quirks that people pick up and that sometimes disgust others. So what? Does it mean that they don't taste correctly? If we robotized our eating style perhaps our tastes would follow suit and pretty soon we'd all have the same pallette and, hence, no need for a site like eGullet. Just be thankful that you weren't the one dining with that person if it bothered you that much.

I am sorry, but a lot of DonRocks' posts lately have made my skin crawl.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

One thing that makes free will great are the inevitable quirks that people pick up and that sometimes disgust others. So what? Does it mean that they don't taste correctly? If we robotized our eating style perhaps our tastes would follow suit and pretty soon we'd all have the same pallette and, hence, no need for a site like eGullet. Just be thankful that you weren't the one dining with that person if it bothered you that much.

I am sorry, but a lot of DonRocks' posts lately have made my skin crawl.

Uh, some people are taking this discussion very seriously. I view my particular peeve (half-spoonful-eaters) in a lighthearted manner, and I hope my post on the topic was taken in that spirit. I certainly took Don Rock's initial post as being tongue in cheek -- or tongue on fork! :wink:

This so brings to mind Tony Montana and Manolo in that little scene in Scarface "What's that , you a f***ing lizard or sumpting?"

the part i liked was when he talked about how much women "like it"

This so brings to mind Tony Montana and Manolo in that little scene in Scarface "What's that , you a f***ing lizard or sumpting?"

the part i liked was when he talked about how much women "like it"

Yeah, than tried it on the pretty blond, she slaps him, then he walks off muttering about that lesbian!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Once, as I was leaving a fast-food place, I saw a person wipe their front teeth with a paper napkin. Yuck. I get chills just thinking about it. Does this gross anyone else out?

Well, it doesn't gross me out, but it does give me The Jibblies, kind of like licking a tongue depressor.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Once, as I was leaving a fast-food place, I saw a person wipe their front teeth with a paper napkin. Yuck. I get chills just thinking about it. Does this gross anyone else out?

Ian

it seems to be effective. i'm not sure what's gross about it, though.

Ian

I got the chills reading your post. Not only does that bother me but any sort of paper or wood in the mouth affects me like nails on a chalkboards. I know not everyone is like this, so they might not understand how we feel. Regardless... *shivers*.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

wow....i thought i was the only one who had the wood/fork/cardboard thing....i feel like i've just had a major breakthrough! my peeve, resulting from all this, is people who walk around with toothpicks in their mouths (*shiver*); can't even look at 'em.

YUCK. I hate seeing people's tongues sticking out of their mouths at restaurants...or mouths open...or teeth scraping on forks. What people do with tongues, spoons and ice cream in the privacy of their own homes is their own business... :hmmm:

and one other thing...why do guys think that women like it when they rake their tongue over their teeth or lips?? I don't know you...why do you think I want to see your tongue? :huh:

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

why do guys think that women like it when they rake their tongue over their teeth or lips?? I

Madison Avenue must think we like watching an 8" tongue reem around the inside of a a Mike's Hard Limeade bottle, too. Just saw that ad last night, and I wasn't turned on, I was revolted. All this "cracking down" on people like Howard Stern, but oral sex technique (?) can be taught in a liquor ad! Funny, that.... :blink:

Edited by Pickles (log)