• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Breakfast Topic

SobaAddict70

This strikes me as a good new person topic, so...

I eat the exact same breakfast everywhere I go: Two eggs, over easy, hopefully cooked in butter with crackly edges on the whites, sprinkled with Tabasco. Buttered white toast dipped in the yolks. Home fries with onions, or hash browns without, also with Tabasco. Two links of thick, mild pork sausage with maple syrup. Always, always corned beef hash cooked really crisp and liberally dressed with maple syrup and more Tabasco.

Everything looks disgusting once I've condiment-ed it to my taste, but it's so good. I eat this almost every weekend, and have eaten at least components of it since I was very small.

Coffee and tomato juice. Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out of the house.

and I like blueberry pancakes, raspberry pancakes, huckleberry pancakes, blackberry pancakes, strawberry pancakes, banana nut pancakes and chocolate chip pancakes, plus any other kind of pancake you can come up with.

and bacon.

Have you tried bacon pancakes? They're pretty darned good! :wub:

I like chocolate cake for breakfast, but the wife does not agree.

I'm with you. Chocolate cake with whipped cream is even better.

so is bill cosby in his classic routine

"dad is great \ he gives us chocolate cake" :laugh::laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I eat the exact same breakfast everywhere I go: Two eggs, over easy, hopefully cooked in butter with crackly edges on the whites, sprinkled with Tabasco. Buttered white toast dipped in the yolks. Home fries with onions, or hash browns without, also with Tabasco. Two links of thick, mild pork sausage with maple syrup. Always, always corned beef hash cooked really crisp and liberally dressed with maple syrup and more Tabasco.

Everything looks disgusting once I've condiment-ed it to my taste, but it's so good. I eat this almost every weekend, and have eaten at least components of it since I was very small.

Coffee and tomato juice. Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out of the house.

try pace picante sauce... got addicted to it when we lived in east texas. much better for breakfast than salsa or tabasco

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

johnnybird and i are sooooo opposite on this though like several others we do enjoy eggs for dinner.

he has to get up at the "ungodly hour" for this week and next of 6am(any time before 8 is ungodly for him to rise) to be at training. his stomach won't handle much first thing so it is usually:

toasted white bread with soy spread and toast dope or

cranberry orange coffee cake with orange frosting or

cinnamon rolls with lemon frosting

this is eaten before he leaves the house.

on the weekends he sleeps in and i work so i will many times make up french toast with baked turkey bacon or the divine free-range chicken breakfast sausages we just got from trader joe's and let him zap it(why did i think i didn't want a microwave - it's perfect for john to heat stuff up in).

course i'm having the leftover mac and cheese or stir fried rice, especially if i know it will be a rough day at work and i won't get my 15 minute break and i'll be too hungry to answer those questions properly. :wacko:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

and I like blueberry pancakes, raspberry pancakes, huckleberry pancakes, blackberry pancakes, strawberry pancakes, banana nut pancakes and chocolate chip pancakes, plus any other kind of pancake you can come up with.

and bacon.

K

Try banana chocolate chip pancakes. Hallucinogenically good.

I eat the exact same breakfast everywhere I go: Two eggs, over easy, hopefully cooked in butter with crackly edges on the whites, sprinkled with Tabasco.  Buttered white toast dipped in the yolks.  Home fries with onions, or hash browns without, also with Tabasco.  Two links of thick, mild pork sausage with maple syrup.  Always, always corned beef hash cooked really crisp and liberally dressed with maple syrup and more Tabasco.

Everything looks disgusting once I've condiment-ed it to my taste, but it's so good.  I eat this almost every weekend, and have eaten at least components of it since I was very small.

Coffee and tomato juice.  Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out of the house.

You don't sound like you've traveled abroad much. I think that getting a proper breakfast like this abroad would be a rare and wondrous thing.

I'm in a hurry on a workday, so it's usually grapefruit or juice and fried eggs or an omelet with leftover vegetables, toast only on the rare occasions I have bread. No time for potatoes.

On Sunday, the only day when I'm sure to be home at brunch time, or any other day it turns out I don't need to go into work in the AM, I might cook meat, such as ham, bacon, or sausage (true breakfast sausage meat, so common here, is but so poorly understood abroad), homefries, scrambled eggs with cream, cooked over simmering water.

Or homefries smothered in onions, bacon, and cheese. Or hashbrowns, thinly crispy, rolled with or smothered with onions and cheese (bacon would be pushing the grease threshold here).

Grits good, but only when homemade, where you can properly salt them during the cooking process.

Tea. Always.

I like chocolate cake for breakfast, but the wife does not agree.

And I love pie for breakfast.

I'm open about what to eat for breakfast. Monday I had the McD's egg McMuffin meal, today I had steamed chinese dumplings and fish balls with hoisin sauce (they stunk up the lunch room badly though). I love egg burritos, eggs benedict, over easy eggs with runny yolks for toast wiping, softly scrambled eggs with country bread toast. On the weekend I'll make creamy oatmeal with cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins. Some of what other people are eating sounds really good too. I love breakfast for dinner and always have breakfast staples in the house.

I hate the English breakfast we had when we stayed in a London B&B. Why can't they grill up the ham instead of making it look boiled? And why grilled, mushy tomatoes? I love just fresh slices of tomato with salt and pepper. Oh well, I guess it's their comfort food...

If it's just a simple Monday thru Friday I like grainy toast spread with cream cheese and marmelade orange or ginger, good tea darjeeling, oolong or green

For more leisurely mornings biscuits and sausage gravy, a homemade omelet with softly set eggs or a Dutch Baby from the Original Pancake House (preferably while wearing a black sweater- if you have ever ordered one you know what I mean!!).

Also never underestimate the power of bread pudding - sweet or savory, in the morning.

It's interesting that no one in this thread has mentioned commuter food - the kind you eat on the freeway. Does everyone here sit down to breakfast? :wink:

It's interesting that no one in this thread has mentioned commuter food - the kind you eat on the freeway.  Does everyone here sit down to breakfast?

ah yes, eating in the car. You can put almost anything into a tortilla or lawash for that on the go thing.

PB & J is always good.

french toast sticks are also good wrapped up.

I also like PB and cereal wrapped up. Smooth PB and Captain Crunch make a great combo.

Edited by clothier (log)

It's interesting that no one in this thread has mentioned commuter food - the kind you eat on the freeway. Does everyone here sit down to breakfast? :wink:

Eating in the car is precariously close to refueling the body, and less like enjoying a meal.

It's interesting that no one in this thread has mentioned commuter food - the kind you eat on the freeway.  Does everyone here sit down to breakfast? :wink:

Eating in the car is precariously close to refueling the body, and less like enjoying a meal.

and yet, somedays, it's the only way to eat.

Does everyone here sit down to breakfast? :wink:

Yes, I sit down to breakfast...in my cube before my computer screen. I don't like to eat when I just get up, I just have coffee-time, then head for the bus or the bike. I usually take a banana, a yogurt and whatever else sounds good....like pie or dumplings or muffins.

I am squarely in the same camp as John Thorne: a savory breakfast is the only breakfast for me. Spare me the French toast, pancakes, streudels, doughnuts, and the like. The only sugar I want is in my Earl Grey.

I eat a late breakfast/early lunch. Yesterday it was a creation my little sisters turned me onto: a Better Than Sex bagel.

Take one "bagel with everything" (seeds, onion, etc.) and toast it. Smear with cream cheese, sprinkle a little tamari, add some lox and a perfect tomato slice. Top with a little salt and a lot of pepper, and that, my friends, is Better Than Sex.

Well, not better than sex with some people, but certainly better than sex with others.

rich yogurt with a pool of honey.

I could eat a quart of Sainsbury's Greek Yogurt with Honey. It is pre-mixed (unlike Total which gives you your honey on the side). It is so rich and creamy. I'm back in the States now and miss it terribly.

But I'm also with sequim. Pie for breakfast is the best.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

(eunny jang @ Mar 9 2004, 02:13 PM)

I eat the exact same breakfast everywhere I go: Two eggs, over easy, hopefully cooked in butter with crackly edges on the whites, sprinkled with Tabasco.  Buttered white toast dipped in the yolks.  Home fries with onions, or hash browns without, also with Tabasco.  Two links of thick, mild pork sausage with maple syrup.  Always, always corned beef hash cooked really crisp and liberally dressed with maple syrup and more Tabasco.

Everything looks disgusting once I've condiment-ed it to my taste, but it's so good.  I eat this almost every weekend, and have eaten at least components of it since I was very small.

Coffee and tomato juice.  Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out of the house.

You don't sound like you've traveled abroad much. I think that getting a proper breakfast like this abroad would be a rare and wondrous thing.

Ohh...all I meant was that I order this at every crappy diner I've been to on a regular Saturday morning bumming around town.

You're right, I haven't traveled abroad much, but when I have, breakfast has always been whatever dairy/pastry-type things the hotel sets out (with much wonderment over how different dairy is outside the US), or when in Korea visiting family, rice and pan chan and soup. Miyuk-guk might be the most restorative breakfast in the world.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Every once in a while I enjoy a nice "country" breakfast with eggs, hashbrowns, bacon (as long as it isn't crispy..bleh), biscuits and gravy...that sort of thing.

However, I usually enjoy yogurt with granola or my ultimate fave - stuffed parathas with yogurt. My favorite is either carrot, onion, chillies or paneer and onion. The yogurt should be partially drained or nice and thick greek yogurt. Sometimes I spice it up with roasted and freshly ground cumin and red chili.

--Jenn

Sweet:

(French Bread) French Toast with melted butter, lime juice and powdered sugar

Cottage cheese pancakes with blueberry-orange sauce or some kind of jam

My daughter's Chocolate Chunk/Walnut Sour Cream Coffeecake

Fried Grits with Maple Syrup and Butter

Savory:

Eggs Benedict (My favorite dish, which I'm more likely to have at brunch or dinner)

Frittata with shrimp, fresh corn, cream cheese and parsley

Creamed Eggs (in a Bechamel with Hot Sauce added)

Cream cheese mixed with capers and chopped red onion, open face on half a bagel with smoked salmon and a squeeze of fresh lemon (although in a pinch I have substituted salami for the salmon)

Good bread, toasted, with in-season tomato slices and fontina cheese melted on top

And with everything, bacon, bacon and more bacon.

:sad: Sadly but realistically, I mostly eat a scrambled egg or two, with or without toast.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Breakfast is as much a state of mind as a meal. The way my breakfast makes me feel is almost as important as the way it tastes. Before people slam this (and I remember a post recently suggesting that people whose favourite meal is breakfast are sinister puritans), consider the important psychological virtues of mashed potatoes, coffee, macaroni & cheese...

I can think of a few breakfasts that make me feel good:

1. "Warm feeling inside breakfast"

Porridge (AKA oatmeal), made with salt, water, spoon of maple syrup, and berries (frozen or freeze-dried out of season, fresh redcurrants in season); grapefruit; tea (obviously English breakfast, with milk).

I make this for myself almost every weekday. The grapefruit wakes me up. The porridge gives me a glow of warmth - both physical and moral: you feel like a better person after a bowl of porridge, which as it tastes so good seems like a total bonus.

2. "Smoked fish on toast"

Grilled kipper (preferably a Manx kipper) on lots of good wholemeal bread, or failing that smoked salmon (organic farmed - wild seems a waste in the morning with thick toast). Tea as well - a pot if it's the weekend.

Just thinking abut kippers makes me want one. Smoked fish rock. And with wholemeal toast it all just goes.

3. "Nordic/Teutonic blowout"

A kind of extreme version of the smoked fish breakfast idea. A smoked fish, cheese and smoked meat extravaganza, with really good northern European bread. A breakfast smorgasbord.

I remember the enormous breakfast buffets many years ago at hotel Kohlmayer in Obertauern in Austria (not northern I know, but very much in the same spirit).

4. "Hangover breakfast"

Bacon sandwich, brown sauce, on brown bread. Bought from greasy spoon. Almost worth being hungover for. Of course, this is discussed at length here.

PS Adding black pudding to any breakfast improves it.

PPS I wasn't able to read the NYT article (can't be bothered to subscribe), but I hope the columnist gives the great British fry-up another try. The trick (like a lot of food) to eat it at someone's house, or, failing that, to carefully select a reliable place for one. Avoid the average UK hotel breakfasts like the plague (they're usually overpriced anyway). The poshest incarnation of the fry-up is the breakfast at Simpson's in the Strand, which is great if expensive.

Breakfast is one are where my wife and I definitely do not agree. An extreme breakfast for her is to put milk on the cereal before she eats it. My preference is towards, scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, black coffee, etc.

Whenever I make a fruit pie, I know to expect that look of disapproval the next morning, as I sit down with a slice. What is there more perfect in the world to open the day with? But to judge by my wifes reaction, you would think I was committing some henious crime.

However, to tell the truth, what do I have for breakfast most mornings? Grab the bowl, reach for the cereal, pour the milk. yawn...

What makes people think pie is inappropriate for breakfast? If you deconstructed it, you'd have fruit, sugar, flour and fat. Reconstructing you get toast with jam and butter and fruit or a flaky pastry with less fruit.

Besides wasn't pie was a traditional Yankee breakfast item?