• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite pasta sauces

Sandra Levine

The simplest  and surest bet  (imho) is one that in Marcella Hazan's  The Classic Italian Cookbook is described as Tomato sauce number 3.  tomatoes, butter, onion and a pinch of sugar.  Just bright fresth tomato taste.  What a joy, as Jimmy Buffet sang "It was so simple I could jitterbug it plum evaded me."  How can something so simple be so good, yet it is.

Marcella's tomato sauce w/ butter & onion is so good I just eat it right out of the pot :shock:

You inspired me to make her sauce today.. It truly is excellent. I now know how they make the tomato sauce at Gino.

My simple favorite is shitakes sauted in brown butter tossed with a short pasta and reggiano.

My not so simple favorite is mussels steamed with garlic, herbs, leaks, butter, wine, a touch of pernod, and a splash of a basic marinara.

Marinara is a bigining...rarely the end.

I'm hooked on Mario Batali's basic tomato sauce. It is seasoned with thyme. I used to buy it jarred at Trader Joe's until I moved away; now I make it with Pomi tomatoes (1 box chopped + 1 box strained). The recipe is easily found on the web. Fwiw, the jarred version and my homemade version both taste the same!

I'm hooked on Mario Batali's basic tomato sauce.  It is seasoned with thyme. 

Mmmm, me too. :cool: That stuff is sooooooo good :wub: It tastes just fine on its own right out of the pot, of course it is exquisite on pasta, wonderful with bread, great in Mario's Osso Buco recipe, hell, its good on practically anything! I had no idea it was even sold in stores. I've always just made it at home. That is one basic recipe that is definitely a hit with my entire family. We all love it.

Garlic, onion, diced garden eggplant satueed to golden in EVOO then our garden tomatoes, fresh picked basil, and red pepper flakes thrown in just enough to heat. On capellini top with grated Parm Reggiano.

Puttanesca -- lots of fresh crushed tomatoes, garlic, onions, fresh oregano, and red and black pepper, good splash of red wine. Parm Reg.

Baby bellas and thin sliced red peppers in EVOO and butter with garlic, s&p, Italian parsley, toss with capellini.

DH does anchovies/garlic/serranos in EVOO, then tosses all with Parm, breadcrumbs and florentine fettucine.

Fresh diced tomato, garlic, lemon juice, lemon thyme, red pepper flakes in mild OO and butter, red pepper, puree with cream, top with sauteed shrimp.

Tomatoes, mushroom, onion, garlic, red wine (or vermouth), basil and red pepper with EVOO, simmered to soft silky sauce. Diced provolone. Toss with hot penne pasta and grate Parm Reg.

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

My vote is for pasta amatriciana. Mmmm... pancetta is my friend, as is bacon when pancetta is absent from my fridge. For that same reason, I also love carbonara... that is, when my arteries can handle it.

However, along the lines of simple is good, I absolutely adore linguine alla vongole. Either red or white sauce, I'm not fussy that way since it's really all about the clams.

Atkins be damned! :biggrin:

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I think my favorite has to be sauteed garlic in olive oil and butter, tossed with fresh tomatoes and chopped basil. (And topped with either parmesan or asaigo)

My second favorite is garlic, sauteed in olive oil and butter, add lemon juice until warm and then tossed with lots of fresh parsley. (And of course, parmesan or asaigo!)

I'm a big fan of made in 10 minute or less when I've worked until midnight, as you can see :biggrin:

They get very lightly brown, tan on the outside, really, and some of the excess moisture gets cooked off in the oil. Also really good in omelettes.<p>Actually, a customer in a restaurant I was cooking breakfast in ordered it that way once, and everybody liked it, so I cook them that way often (if I'm not eating them raw, of course).

I do a similar thing - a variation on the 'simmered' tomato sauce is to use a fair bit more oil (Good idea is to warm up some chiles and garlic in the oil and remove - it's going to get too hot to not burn them) and crank the heat right up. Throw in some deskinned plum tomato pieces (Tinned is fine, but not chopped or crushed - they are chopped too fine) cook until nearly all the moisure has gone and you are left with concentrated tomatoey goodness, floatng in the oil. Drain some of the oil off and use. It's not really a liquid sauce, although the tomatoes will be quite mushy by now. I mainly use this one to dress filled fresh pastas - tortellini, ravioli etc.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Please correct me if i am wrong aren't certain sauces made with only certain pasta types in mind? I am not italian and not really sure how this all works and if it is true is there a reference guide? or can you pair any sauce and pasta?

The simplest  and surest bet  (imho) is one that in Marcella Hazan's  The Classic Italian Cookbook is described as Tomato sauce number 3.  tomatoes, butter, onion and a pinch of sugar.  Just bright fresth tomato taste.  What a joy, as Jimmy Buffet sang "It was so simple I could jitterbug it plum evaded me."  How can something so simple be so good, yet it is.

Marcella's tomato sauce w/ butter & onion is so good I just eat it right out of the pot :shock:

I highly recommend Marcella's tomato sauce as well. I love simple pasta recipes: Nigella's pancetta, garlic oil and linguine and a BBC recipe for pasta with tuna, mushrooms and creme fraiche are also favorites.

Please correct me if i am wrong aren't certain sauces made with only certain pasta types in mind?  I am not italian and not really sure how this all works and if it is true is there a reference guide?  or can you pair any sauce and pasta?

I wouldn't get so bogged down in hard and fast, this sauce MUST go ONLY with THAT pasta, just some generalities:

Fresh pasta goes best with cream or butter-based sauces

Dried pasta goes with olive oil-based sauces

Short stubby pasta, or tubes, go best with thick, robust sauces like meat ragus.

String pastas go well with seafood or vegetables.

There are certain dishes that are classic pasta/sauce combinations, and usually you will see them listed as such: Fettucine Alfredo, Tagliatelle Bolognese, Bucatini all'Amatriciani, etc. But don't get too worried about specifics otherwise.

Edited by Kevin72 (log)

Please correct me if i am wrong aren't certain sauces made with only certain pasta types in mind?  I am not italian and not really sure how this all works and if it is true is there a reference guide?  or can you pair any sauce and pasta?

I wouldn't get so bogged down in hard and fast, this sauce MUST go ONLY with THAT pasta, just some generalities:

Fresh pasta goes best with cream or butter-based sauces

Dried pasta goes with olive oil-based sauces

Short stubby pasta, or tubes, go best with thick, robust sauces like meat ragus.

String pastas go well with seafood or vegetables.

There are certain dishes that are classic pasta/sauce combinations, and usually you will see them listed as such: Fettucine Alfredo, Tagliatelle Bolognese, Bucatini all'Amatriciani, etc. But don't get too worried about specifics otherwise.

Rules? What rules?

I might add that it is good to consider the size and shape of your ingredients in relation to you pasta shape. For example: A quater pound meat ball might not be the best match for angel hair. Chopped clams might mingle well on the other hand.

If I were making a pasta salad I might julienne red peppers to go with penne but small dice them (or half julienne) to go with elbos.

Some of the conventions seem strange. For example: I would never make a tuttu de mare and serve it on spaghetti. Great on linguini, not so good on spag. Not because the pasta is much different. It just doesn't look right. Same thing with meatballs on linguini.

Don't get me started on the time I caught my mom cooking cappellini and spaghetti in the same pot for the same duration.

Some fresh pastas we made this week:

gallery_2_4_1102903288.jpg

#2 Borgatti Tagliatelle (From the Bronx) Fresh Spinach Noodles with Porcini and White Mushrooms and Chicken in a Veal Glace, and Sour Cream Sauce with Parmigiano Reggiano, Parsley and Peas

Borgatti Fresh Noodles #1 (wider than #2) prepared two ways:

gallery_2_4_1103334702.jpg

Alla Ragu'

gallery_2_4_1103334637.jpg

Scampi in a Lemon, Parsley, Sherry garlic butter sauce.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

A riff on Sphagetti Carbonara tonight:

Pan Seared Scallops cooked in butter and rendered Bacon Fat, over Fresh Pasta Carbonara with Lardons and Cauliflower

gallery_2_4_1103763457.jpg

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I was too lazy to de-vein them and this particular sample of shrimp was pretty clean when we had some as shrimp cocktail.