• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill Wine Dinner 4/21

Rosie

I really want to go to this (after Lou's nice invitation to join a future eGullet outing), but I am traveling that week for work. If my travel plans change, & there is still space, my husband & I would love to join the group for dinner. We loved our dinner at An American Grill recently.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

• 2 weeks later...

We're about 3 weeks away from the tasting dinner at An American Grill. List is the #1 posting. All are invited. Lou promised the menu soon but we all know that the food and wine will be fabulous. So---who's coming???

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Hello all, just an update with the menu and wines. Last course is undecided, will let everyone know by next week. I will begin to invite my customers at the end of next week if egullet members do not fill the 24 spots. I believe we're at 14 now.

Dinner will be $85 per person including tax & gratuity.

Phil Ward and his salesperson Erin will be talking about the wine.

An Amuse, at this point I'm leaning to Ceasar Salad soup with Vueve Cliquot.

1st Course: Tuna Carpacchio with chives, Topico caviar & wasabi dressing will be served with Chateau Ste. Michelle "Dr Loosen" Reisling. ( I don't have all the years yet but will next week)

2nd Course: U-12 Maya Prawns over a watercress & mache slad with a flax seed dressing and blood oranges will be served with Newton "Unfiltered" Chardonnay.

3rd Course: Braised Short Rib Ravioli with either Morel or European Chanterelle mushrooms, oven roasted tomatoes and a touch of truffle butter with Stemmler Pinot Noir Carneros.

4th Course: A meat course with Berringer Alluvium.

5th Course: Dessert with a finishing desset wine.

Once again, I'll update next week.

Lou

Sounds Wonderful. I'll take two of each. If you are coming please reconfirm and if you would like to join us post a note here.

This is the list.

Rosie and Lowell --2 Reconfirmed

Curlz 1--Reconfirmed

Glenn 1--Reconfirmed

PNapoli--1

suzilightning 1

Phil and guest 2--Reconfirmed

Zeman 1--Reconfirmed

Rossimania-1--Reconfirmed

Rock --1 Confirmed

David Brociner-definete/maybe 1

johnnybird --maybe

Tommy in +1, depending on date/etc.

Rachel and Jason --tentative

Ken Robinson-- 1 Reconfirmed

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Oh, I'm IN, alright!! This sounds terrific, Lou...looking forward to it.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm ok with the menu except for the shrimp course, since I don't eat shrimp. If I could have a substitute for that course, I will be there. :smile:

Ken, check out my menu on www.anamericangrill.com and let me know what you'd like to substitute the prawns with. No problem.

Lou

Rosie, I have us at 18 including Phil & Erin who have donated the wine. I think we'll keep it at 24 so we have room for 6 more. Cut off date is Friday the 16th, then I'll plug a few people in.

Lou

If you are coming please reconfirm and if you would like to join us post a note here.

This is the list as of 4/7

Rosie and Lowell --2 Reconfirmed

Curlz 1--Reconfirmed

Glenn 1--Reconfirmed

suzilightning 1

Phil and guest 2--Reconfirmed

Zeman 1--Reconfirmed

Rossimania-1--Reconfirmed

Rock --1 Confirmed

David Brociner-definete/maybe 1

johnnybird --maybe

Tommy in +1, depending on date/etc.

Rachel and Jason --tentative

Ken Robinson-- 1 Reconfirmed

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'm stuck on a meat course. Don't know what to serve with the Alluvium as I think it'll go better with The Short Rib ravioli. The Stemmler Pinot Noir needs a robust meat that doesn't overwelm the meat. I won't serve pork but would anyone mind if I served a Bone-in Rib Eye? And for dessert, any favorite? After all, this your dinner people, I'm just here to make it a fun night.

Edited by Lreda (log)

that ribe eye sounds like a big course, lou. but, i'm a big guy, so i can handle it. that said, what is the Berringer Alluvium like? if it's tannic, give me fat. don't care if it's cow or lamb. or in a ravlioli.

the experts will giggle behind my back, but have you considered a beef tenderloin? easy enough to serve a smaller portion, and you can certainly dress it up with earthy, sweet, or whatever flavors that you think might work with the wine.

How about rack of lamb? Hanger steak?

Other option would be to change ravioli to something lighter--not meat.

Dessert--chocolate of course. Or the ice cream cherry sundae you make. Or just a glass of dessert wine is fine!!

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'm guessing that I'll be the lone voice re: dessert...I'm one of those rare women who isn't a chocoholic! For me, anything berry or citrus is a much nicer way to end a meal. Or, as Rosie said, a glass of dessert (yes, that's what I meant to say) also does the trick! :wink: Just my $ .02...

Edit: It's Curlz--on my dad's PC, and forgetting that I'm not logged in! Heehee

Edited by Ted Task (log)