• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Writing

sammy

Good point, Tommy, and I do intend to make my identity known whenever I go to Amma. That said, the fact that no-one but no-one has had anything but high praise for the restaurant suggests to me that if I dine there anonymously, I'll get good food and pleasant service.

that would be lovely. grimes seems to agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Gilbert Cranberg, former editor of the editorial page of the Des Moines register chimes in here in support of Krugman's blasting of George Will in the NY Times last week regarding journalistic ethics.

Krugman's comments included: "The real surprise, though, is that two prominent journalists, William Buckley and George Will, were also regular paid advisors to Hollinger. Now, I thought there were rules here. First, if you're a full-time journalist, you shouldn't be in that kind of relationship. Second, whoever you are, if you write a favorable article about someone with whom you have a personal or financial connection — like Mr. Perle's piece on the tanker deal or Mr. Will's March column praising Lord Black's wisdom — you disclose that connection. But I guess the old rules no longer apply."

For those unfamiliar with the situation, Will wrote an article in support of media baron Conrad Black not disclosing that he had a financial relationship with him.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

For those unfamiliar with the situation, Will wrote an article in support of media baron Conrad Black not disclosing that he had a financial relationship with him.

That's disgraceful! I hope we could all agree on that one.

Michael aka "Pan"

The one problem I see with analogies between political and economic journalists and restaurant reviewers is how much personal taste is involved in the latter. As for the political journalists, it might be even more important to be familiar with their political leanings than to know who their clients are. All of this matters to a degree, and too many here argue as if it's an absolute situation.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If a vodka company paid off a liquor reviewer, it could easily be an Absolut situation, har har. :laugh:

Seriously, your points are well taken, Bux, though I found myself thinking "You mean, there's no taste involved in politics?" [raised eyebrows]

Michael aka "Pan"

I think that there is another purpose of a review, to entertain with the writing itself. I can happily read Jeffrey Steingarten writing about restaurants on the other side of the Atlantic, and take pleasure just in an infective enthusiasm. To become too objective would, I think, take away from this.

I agree with you. But I can't see how anyone could ask for objectivity in restaurant reviews. Taste is subjective. But there's a difference between subjective taste and writing a good review because you gain financial benefit from a relationship. It sounds like that's the point in the criticism of George Will.

Michael aka "Pan"