• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Blog: Cusina

Cusina

Hi Slkinsey! Thanks for being such a good sport and adding some eye candy to my blog. You do look quite studly in those photos, I must say. Tongs make a man. You do us cheeseheads proud!

And you know, I struggle with organization too, so much if I don't plan ahead at least a little I end up feeding us takeout, which here is not a good prospect. Mostly broasted chicken and greasy italian. Tasty, but doesn't quite cut it healthwise.

Breakfast was a scone and some soon to be brewed tea.

More very soon...

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I'd suggest Jeanette Pepin's Cheese delectable souffle, recipe found in her son's "The Apprentice." (Or I'll PM it if it sounds like a good idea.) No-fail, fast, easy and cheap. You could serve it with bread and butter, maybe a small salad, baked apples for dessert.

Maggie, please do PM this to me, it sounds great. Thanks for the offer.

And I'm loving the irony that I can't spell dilettante, doh! Sorry.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Oh my gosh, Cusina! Thank goodness foodbloggers will finally be getting some actual cooking!

I'm already jealous of your organizational skills, as anyone who watched me stumble blindly through my week will understand!

Your children are so fortunate to have a mom who is not only intelligent and thoughtful about what she prepares at home, but about what she indulges them in on nights out.

Cranberry Vanilla Scones?!?!?!? I'm off to the Dannon Yogurt website.

Despite my blundering the handoff, thanks for a really smash-up follow-through! Can't wait for more!

Squeat

:blush:

aw shucks, Squeat. Thanks! What great compliments. Your blog was very good too and set a good example for me. Don't feel bad about not cooking much. Your creativity without a stove made for a very interesting read.

-Dad

Here I am opening Grandma Young’s recipe box. She was marvelous. Could do no wrong in my mind (or I in hers, I think, which was the beauty of the relationship.) The box itself is 4” long x 10” wide and 4” deep. Just the right size for 2 rows of 3 x 5 cards. It is metal with faux gold leaf on the bottom and the lid is black. Inside the lid is a list entitled the American Home menu maker which gives things like cups per pound of various ingredients, including hydrogenated fat, which is 2 ¼ cups per pound in case you were wondering.

There also is, tucked in the back of one row, a little booklet entitled Mrs. Arlan’s Home Maker’s Library: Volume XI Food Measurements and Substitutes. Published by the Crystal Tissue Company. The back cover lists the other “books” in the series:

1. A Catalog of Easy Stitches

2. Shortcuts in Housekeeping

3. How to Make Slipcovers

4. Curtain Making Simplified

5. Successful Ideas in Child Training (need that one)

6. They Lived Happily Ever After! (her exclamation point, not mine)

7. Care of Pets

8. Care of House Plants

9. Beauty and Good Taste (wow, need that too)

10. How to Combat Insect Pests (as opposed to the human variety)

11. Food Measurements and Substitutes

12. Amusing the Family (hmm, I thought they were supposed to amuse me.)

13. Safety First and First Aid in the Home

14. How to Wrap Gift Packages

15. Foods that “Go Places”

This makes me think that Mrs. Arlan would have been the worst mother-in-law ever.

So, that’s it for the kitsch… on to the recipe part.

You think I’m organized? You should have met Grandma. This box is perfectly in order with no less than 50 dividers that range from Relishes, to Waffles/Pancakes to Fondues along with the usual suspects. Her kitchen was always spotless. Everything had a place. The morning of her memorial service I decided to make her trademark dish, a breakfast ring, which is my Dad’s absolute favorite. Everything in her small kitchen was intuitive and it was obvious while I was cleaning up that those things had occupied that exact space for decades. The ring pan fit neatly in its perfect spot in the cupboard along with everything else. While making the ring I had memories of making it with her in that kitchen. Both of us were apron clad. She was tiny, I was her size at about 10, so could borrow one of hers without problem. She claimed, as she wiped every little bit of stray goop off the outside of the pan with her tea towel, that she wasn’t really clean and organized, she was actually lazy. She just didn’t want to have to scrape the burned on goop off while doing the dishes or have to hunt down exactly where she had put the pan when she needed it next time. Wise words, too bad I can’t seem to find them when I need them!

The breakfast ring is decidedly the most used card in the box, it’s home is right in front of the right hand column for easy reach. I honestly do not believe that there will be copy write issues with this, so I’ll put it here, mostly out of nostalgia. I won't bother posting it in the recipes area because I think it would lose a lot out of context.

Grandma’s Biscuit Ring

5 Tablespoons melted Butter, divided

3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

1/4 cup chopped nuts

12 Maraschino cherries

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 cups biscuit mix

1/2 cup cold water

1. Place 3 Tablespoons butter, brown sugar and chopped nuts evenly around the bottom of a greased ring mold. Space cherries in a clock like pattern.

2. In a small dish mix white sugar and cinnamon. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in another small dish.

3. In a medium bowl mix bisquick and water to make a soft dough. Divide into 12 parts. Drop each portion into the melted butter then roll the sugar mixture. Knead a bit. Place each portion on top of a cherry in the ring mold.

4. Bake at 400 about 25 minutes. Turn out immediately onto a serving plate. Best served warm.

O.k. Enough schmaltz for now... more from the box later.

~Cusina

-Dad

Very cool Cusina. Thanks for sharing the recipe and its history and context with us. This is cooking at its most meaningful. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Cusina, your grandmother and mine would have gotten along famously :-). I'm also a meal planner (I feed my husband and two boys, almost 3 and 5), but anything I do pales in comparison with her careful notes on anything and everything food related. Though I know I get my obsession with lists from her!

For dinners with just me and the boys, I focus on something fun for all of us - like a moroccan cous cous we can all eat with our fingers, or rolled veggie sushi that the boys can help make, or even pancakes or waffles for dinner. Something to keep the little ones involved and help while the evening away.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I'd suggest Jeanette Pepin's Cheese delectable souffle, recipe found in her son's "The Apprentice."  (Or I'll PM it if it sounds like a good idea.) No-fail, fast, easy and cheap.  You could serve it with bread and butter, maybe a small salad, baked apples for dessert.

I'll second this. Delightful book. Excellent recipe!

Squeat

I just made this last week -- it was excellent, quick and easy. A new staple.

(the leftovers, collapsed and dense, made a kick-ass lunch too).

Cusina: I really admire people who find the time to cook real food with kids. Making your own stock is easy. It's worth all the effort.

My Wisconsin memories are of the overpriced (!) brats that could be had at the old MECCA in Milwaukee (years before the Midwest Express version was built). They were good if a bit on the bland side compared to NYC hot dogs and sausages but that was the first time I had ever had a brat with chopped onions as a topping.

For those of you not in the know, MECCA was Milwaukee's version of the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City, only 4 times as big and connected to practically everything via skyways. The city of Milwaukee demolished the old MECCA in 1996 to make way for the new version, dubbed the Midwest Express Center (around 1998). The reason I know all this is because MECCA was for several years, the host site of GENCON, the world's largest convention for role-playing games, board games, computer games, science fiction/fantasy/comic books, war games and miniatures. In 2000 or 2001 (I forget exactly when), GENCON moved to Indianapolis, shortly after TSR was acquired by Wizards of the Coast. But this is probably too much information for most of you non-RPG geeks. :biggrin:

Soba

The reason I know all this is because MECCA was for several years, the host site of GENCON, the world's largest convention for role-playing games, board games, computer games, science fiction/fantasy/comic books, war games and miniatures.  In 2000 or 2001 (I forget exactly when), GENCON moved to Indianapolis, shortly after TSR was acquired by Wizards of the Coast.  But this is probably too much information for most of you non-RPG geeks.  :biggrin:

Did someone mention GENCON? :biggrin:

Soba, do you play AC or AC 2?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Cusina, this father of 4 (the oldest of whom was born at St. Mary's on the East Side of Milwaukee) is loving this. Please continue to add all of the tidbits of Milwaukee and Wisconsin gastronomia. How there's a bar on every corner in some residential areas. Cheese curds. Sprecher. Speed Queen. Von Trier's. Sendiks. Kopps. Real Chili. National Liquor Bar. Fish fries and fish boils.

Man, I miss Milwaukee.

Oh, and go Pack!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Tejon- a kindred soul! When I went to the grocery today the good looking perch was gone and only "previously frozen" things remained so I decided on pancakes and an omlette instead for thursday. Cous cous is also a very good idea. My kids love that. I definitely want to try the souffle too.

And Squeat, my Grandmother would have laughed at your kitchen and taken you out for Chinese! No death involved, except maybe to the orange duck. :biggrin:

Soba, next time go to Usingers for your brat. Good stuff. Downtown Milwaukee has had a nice rejuvination in the past 5 years. A lot of the historic districts have been renovated and there has been a return of the urban dweller. There are some very good places to go out there now. I actually live 2 hours north of "the big city", but we get there fairly often. My favorite spot in town is the bar on top of the Pfister hotel. Kinda pricey, but the view is great, the seating is comfy sofas and armchairs and instead of snack mix they have big goblets of whole cashews. Heaven! Even have nice jazz trios in there sometimes. And the bartenders are usually nice looking guys in their 20s... oh, um... not that I notice those things of course.

And badthings, thanks for the stock encouragement. I will do it, really! I've heard about storing it in ice cube trays... is that best? How do you measure it then? We usually store our marinara and such in plastic containers. Can I do that instead or is that a hassle?

I think I like this blogging thing. I'm turning into a food exhibitionist!

Lunch: Grocery store sushi, dragon rolls. I made nice to the guy behind the counter and he rolled them for me special. They have very good service. Also had another scone. Those are going to be gone in no time. My pre-schooler has been home sick today; poor guy has this cough that just won't end. He had vanilla yogurt with a little granola and berries on top and I've been pumping him full of water and juice. Seemed to go down pretty well and he is sound asleep now. Hopefully he'll feel better by this weekend for the birthday extravaganza.

Still on for the shrimp quesadillas tonight and guacamole. My guac recipe inspiration is out of the Barefoot Contessa cookbook. I know she isn't that popular around eGullet, but I REALLY like her guac. Actually, I like a lot of the stuff she makes. Most of it is simple and relies on freshness and seasonality for flavor. Or is just flat out decadent like her brownies, yum.

Back for more later this evening... enjoy your afternoon everyone.

~Cusina

-Dad

Cusina, thanks for sharing your grandmother's recipe with us - do you cook often from the box? do you add to it so that your children will treasure it in the future?

What a fabulous thing to pass on to one's children (now if only I had not forgotten to have any!!) :blink:

Did someone mention GENCON? :biggrin:

Soba, do you play AC or AC 2?

=R=

You mean Asheron's Crack and his wicked stepsister? :raz:

Nah, I'm a Camelot addict all the way through. Trials of Atlantis (most recent expansion for Dark Ages of Camelot) simply blows the rest of its current competition out of the water.

Cusina, have you ever done cheddar cheese soup? Isn't it a bit....thick?

Soba

Do try making stock - it's really easy, and the end result puts anything canned to shame (and I'll add that it's much cheaper than canned as well). It's as easy to make as any soup, just takes a much longer simmer. I was reducing it like crazy (see the eGCI lesson), freezing in ice cube trays, then storing in a bag in the freezer. I recently acquired a large deep freeze, so now I separate out the stock into amounts I'm likely to use - several 6 cup containers for soup, many 2 cup baggies, several 1 cup baggies as well. It all depends on your freezer space and how you'll use the resulting stock.

By the way, applesauce makes a really nice topping for pancakes, especially if you throw in some frozen berries as the apples cook (I also add a little brown sugar, just because :wink: ).

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Do try making stock - it's really easy, and the end result puts anything canned to shame (and I'll add that it's much cheaper than canned as well). It's as easy to make as any soup, just takes a much longer simmer. I was reducing it like crazy (see the eGCI lesson), freezing in ice cube trays, then storing in a bag in the freezer. I recently acquired a large deep freeze, so now I separate out the stock into amounts I'm likely to use - several 6 cup containers for soup, many 2 cup baggies, several 1 cup baggies as well. It all depends on your freezer space and how you'll use the resulting stock.

I just reduce one 8-qt. stockpot into 1 ice cube try, then stick the cubes in a ziplock. I don't really measure anything -- just dilute to suit! (if I need a rich stock, 1 cube to 1 cup water say, or as thin as 1 cube to 2-3 cups depending on what I'm doing). Last night I made a potato-leek soup with 3 cubes to 6 cups water, making a pretty dilute stock, because I was splitting the difference between Julia's and Jacques's recipes in Cooking at Home (Julia only uses water, so nothing interferes with the potato/leek flavor).

That's what I was doing - we have a side by side refrigerator, so no freezer space to speak of. Now that I have a refrigeratir sized freezer, space isn't the same consideration :wink: .

Kathy

Glad to see there are other meal planners around! :biggrin:

With 3 kids the days can get hectic and it is nice to be able to go into the kitchen and know exactly what to prepare. I try to plan at least one week in advance but more often it is only 3 to 5 days depending on when i go shopping and what I have bought.

I hope you son feels better soon!

I am not looking forward to the upcoming cold/stomach bug season :angry:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks for the stock tips guys!

Sounds like an entirely different BB doesn't it? We also have a side by side and so not a lot of freezer space. I think the ice cube trays sound like a good idea. Next Sunday afternoon we don't have a whole lot going, maybe I'll roast a chicken for lunch and make stock. Yehaw!

Varmint, this is in your honor...

I've been working on a beer batter for fresh fish fillets that I'll share. It's 1/3 c cornmeal to 2/3 c unbleached all purpose flour, mix with chili powder, paprika, coarse salt, ground black pepper and tarragon. Add about of 1/3 a bottle of beer (I've been using Leinenkugels Octoberfest to good results), mix to gloppyness. Squirt fish fillets with lemon, cover in batter, then pan fry in oil in a hot skillet. When they are browning on the edges, flip them over... eat immediately out of the pan with hot sauce and tartar. It's not perfect yet, needs more zip without overwhelming the delicate fish flavor. I also need more fisheman friends. There are rumors of a fish market opening here soon. I hope they are right! The selection at the grocery is not very good.

Son demanding his computer turn... gotta go. I'll see you all after bedtime.

~Cusina

-Dad

Ya know... it might have been more like 1/2 a bottle of beer or even a little more. I'm not sure how much I added in the last rendition. And I drank the evidence.

-Dad

Cusina,  thanks for sharing your grandmother's recipe with us - do you cook often from the box?  do you add to it so that your children will treasure it in the future?

What a fabulous thing to pass on to one's children (now if only I had not forgotten to have any!!) :blink:

Misgabi,

On some days, I'd give you my kids and throw in the recipe box as a bonus :biggrin: Kidding! Kidding!

I haven't changed the box at all. I think I'll keep it as is just because it's pretty full already and I like having it be all hers. I also am collecting recipes from other sections of our family, both mine and my husband's. Things that are standouts like Nana-in-law's lefsa and Father-in-law's marinara. (Yeah, Norwegian, Italian quite the mix...) I'll put them all, including some of the recipes that they like best of mine, in two books, one for each of my kids. I agree with you that it will be a great thing to pass along.

Edited, (twice!) because I just can't spell...

Edited by Cusina (log)

-Dad

Dinner was not bad at all. The aforementioned quesadillas somehow morphed into fajhitas. I marinated the shrimp in tequilla, lime and salt (nod to the horizontal margarita drinkers in Chicago) and grilled them up with garlic and peppers. Served up with fresh guacamole, lettuce, salsa and cheese. Very tasty dinner. Skipped the wine tonight though and just had water. Yet another scone for dessert. Still tasty and tender, though almost gone. yeep.

Going to have some decaf green tea and call it a night.

-Dad

Good Morning

Wow, I like eGullets new look! Weird to come back and have the place be completely made over. I'm looking forward to using all the new bells and whistles.

So, last night I had every good intention of starting an incredible looking loaf of bread from the artisan breads book. I have a weekly, or at least every other weekly, habit of visiting my library. I'll usually take at least one cookbook out with me. This week I have the gorgeous Artisan Baking Across America by Maggie Glezer. It is serious food porn. The photos are amazing. Also checked out The Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook by Alice Waters. She is so likeable and passionate about her cafe; I've really enjoyed reading that as well.

The "beginner" recipe in Glezer's book that caught my eye was Acme's Herb Slabs. Now, if you followed Squeat's blog last week you heard the wonders of Acme bread. I am so jealous! Thought it would be great to make my own, however I just didn't have time to start the poolish last night. (I'll spare you the details, but I was busy laundering my son's bedding.) So, since I have a beautiful bunch of fresh rosemary, I think I've decided to visit my butcher today and get a fresh roasting chicken to make for dinner with stuffed shells and then, drumroll please, make some stock! We'll also hit the good local bakery on the south side of town for bread. (Disclaimer: parents of young children often speak of themselves in the plural. I swear, in my case it is not a royal WE. It's because I'm almost never alone, always have a small companion.)

-Dad

I like to plan meals too. Decided long ago that I'm rarely too tired to cook, it's almost always a case of being too tired to think!

I'd never heard of canned stock until I found some about a decade ago...bought a half-case...it made everything taste the same...

Famous words from Japanese family-oriented cooking "personality" -- restaurant stock is meant to look good and provide an unassertive base for more elaborate flavorings, so you clarify it and never let it boil and so on, but family stock is meant to taste good, and anything that furthers that end is legal. Period!

Cooking with little kids sounds so nostalgic! My 11 year old woke the entire household just after 5 am so he could cook an omelet for DH and I to put in our lunchboxes today...

Yawn!