• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Schneier - More details than it's polite to ask

Schneier

Today started late.

Sunday brunch: Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and jams, apple cider.

About a year and a half ago we joined the Bacon-of-the-Month Club. Every month we received, in the mail, a pound of interesting bacon. It ended up being too much bacon--we just don't eat it that often--so we didn't renew. This was either the last shipment of bacon from that club, or some regular interesting bacon we bought from Costco.

We opened three interesting jams from France. (I wrote about buying them here.) Syrah jam, vigonier jam, and lilac jam.

There's not a lot of cleaning up to do. Karen and I clean as we go. We did two loads of dishes during the party, and slowly put things away as people leave. We washed wineglasses. I started the third dishwasher load with the last of the dishes, and the washing machine with the various towels and tablecloths, before I went to sleep. When we woke up you could barely tell there were sixty people here last night.

Our houseguests are still here. They fly out at 5:00 PM. I have no idea what we're doing for dinner.

Bruce

Before I go to sleep?  The last guest left at 4:00 AM.

Wow. I'm impressed.

We have impressive parties.

Music started about 10:00. It's a music circle jam party, and we get a lot of good people. They stopped playing at about 3:00, and then there was another hour of winding down.

Bruce

yea, i'm impressed too.

sounds like my kinda peeps. tell more, please.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Thanks soba!

I do enjoy reading here and I should post more often. I  do not think rich and sophisticated  are negative adjectives!!!

I like seeing how the other half lives! I am not poor nor am I a hick .

Cooking is a passion of mine (but some days it is  a dreary task!). I hope I didn't sound too harsh-I just wondered if everyone here eats  gourmet food all the time!

don't worry there are plenty of us here!

I am a stay at home mom with 3 young kids and am living on a budget that would make most people cringe and in one of the most expensive cities in the world! I like to think that I eat fairly well.

Bruce,

did you actually try the Japnese dried fish? it is really some good stuff!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Bruce,

did you actually try the Japnese dried fish? it is really some good stuff!

I didn't. They arrived late, and I figured that dried fish would keep for our next party.

I will probably like them. I often bring back weird foods from Japan for parties. Last time I brought back an assortment of nicely packaged desserts from those stores that sell them in Tokyo Station.

BTW, everything in the second posting of a food list were things that other people brought to the party. There were more, but I didn't keep accurate track.

Bruce

Saturday breakfast:  More smelt flakes and milk.

And where is everybody?  This is much less fun without comments back.

Bruce

Smelt flakes? Ewww.

Spelt.

Although with some of those Japanese dried fish snacks, you can't be too sure.

Bruce

Sunday dinner: lamb vindaloo, vegetable marsala, and other assorted foods at a medeocre Indian restaurant.

We went for a friend's birthday dinner. We really were too tired, but it's important to attend friends' celebrations.

Good company. Not so good food.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to pack.

Bruce

I'm going to blog through Monday, but we need to figure out who is going to be next. Anyone volunteer? Is there a list of previous victims? Should I just pick someone at random?

Whose in charge, here?

Bruce

I've been munching on grapes. Not much of a lunch, but we're flying off to Venice today.

The final meal of this blog will be in Business Class on American Airlines. I won't be able to post about it until after I land, but I will post.

This has been surprisingly fun.

Bruce

Will you post the apple's travel blog? :laugh:

A picture of the apple in Piazza San Marco will do. :raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

This is my last post on this thread, unless there are comments that I just can't let lie.

Monday dinner: American Airlines in-flight meal. It was the Chicago - Brussels flight, Business Class.

I passed on the mixed nuts, but munched on the carrot sticks.

Seafood appetizer: smoked salmon, lobster claw, and herb-marinated shrimp. Not terrible.

Salad: greens, tomato, olives, onions, yellow bell peppers in a balsamic vinegrette. Okay.

Lamb Chops: "Lemon-marinated double lamb chops with a light oregano red wine jus, presented with roasted butternut squash and garlic mashed potatoes."

Of all the meals I've ever had, this was the most recent.

And so ends seven days of food.

Bruce

So, how did the dinner party go?  I expected a full rerport before you went to sleep.

And I guess there was no food served at the party either since it wasn't blogged.

[makes note to bring his own food if invited to one of Bruce's parties]

[makes second note to bring at least an apple and a banana :wink: ]

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

And I guess there was no food served at the party either since it wasn't blogged.

You want more than the two huge lists of food on page 3?

Mea culpa.

Went from page 2 to page 4....I thought it was a short week!

Thanks for pointing it out.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Bet I know what's up for Monday: FASTING!!!!!!!!!

Um; no.

This really is a normal week for me. Is it that abnormal? I have no idea.

Bruce

I think they were implying you were to fast for Yom Kippur. Non-observant or bad assumption?

What was the Monday surprise - air travel?

I think they were implying you were to fast for Yom Kippur. Non-observant or bad assumption?

What was the Monday surprise - air travel?

Oh.

I'm so non-observant that I didn't even get the joke.

And yes, the Monday surprise was jetting off to Venice for a week. (I have a bunch of restaurant reviews, which I will post in a day or so.)

Bruce