• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Schneier - More details than it's polite to ask

Schneier

And, to picnic like you did in another wonderful area of town...

We picnic all over Minneapolis. My favorite spots are in the parkland near the Rose Garden in South Minneapolis. Karen prefers spots on the Mississippi. Someimes we'll go to this or that lake, sometimes we'll go along Minnehaha Creek. Most of the time we drive, but sometimes we bike.

Bruce

almost makes me sad that johnnybird doesn't trael to minneapolis for business anymore... the sausages sound heavenly.

course i didn't get to eat at sofitel, famous dave's or goodfellows :sad:

i love your posts - thank you

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Maybe just a bad hunch on my part...

It'd be pretty impressive if you guessed.

Bruce

I promise to honestly admit the accuracy of my hunch (or lack thereof) when you pull back the curtain. :cool:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

course i didn't get to eat at sofitel, famous dave's or goodfellows

I'm not crazy about Famous Dave's. There's no real good barbecue in Minneapolis. There's okay barbecue, but that's about it. And Famous Dave's isn't even okay.

The Sofitel restaurants were better five years ago.

Goodfellows is still rumored to be excellent, but it never seems to get to the top of my list anymore. I'd much rather have a meal at Vincent.

Bruce

Saturday Lunch: Bahn mi sandwiches.

Pho Tau Bay is our favorite Vietnamese restaurant in the Twin Cities. (Karen and I wrote a review about it in 2001, which I have just posted here.)

Bahn mi sandwiches are the best fast food you'll ever have. You'll be in and out faster than McDonald's, and its orders of magnitude better. We ordered four for the four of us (and four cans of soursop juice) and went down to Minnehaha Falls and had ourselves a little picnic.

It's about 55 degrees today, way warmer than our dinner picnic earlier in the week.

Then we went grocery shopping for the party tonight. Stinky cheeses, vegetables, delicacies from a Labenese deli, and a bunch of other stuff. I'll post an inventory later.

Now I have to slice, chop, and put things away. Guests arrive in 105 minutes.

Bruce

Hey, I just got a French Laundry reservation for December 4th!

Bruce

the original, or NYC?

if i'm not mistaken, isn't the original supposed to be closed for renovations while most of the staff is opening NYC FL?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Bruce

the original, or NYC?

if i'm not mistaken, isn't the original supposed to be closed for renovations while most of the staff is opening NYC FL?

The original resaurant in Napa. The New York restaurant is going to have a different name. (I have no idea why; you'd think they'd want to keep the PR value of the name.)

The California restaurant will close in the beginning of the year for renovations, when Keller comes to New York to open his restaurant there.

Bruce

Party Food Inventory:

An assortment of cheese: Roquefort, Abbyue de Bel Loc (raw-milk semi-soft goat cheese from Basque France), Morbier, Comte, St. Marcellin, Reblochon, Cypress Grove Midnight Moon (see our dinner picnic, above).

Baguettes, crackers.

Pates: Forrestier, duck rilettes.

Cornichons.

Hummos, baba ganouj.

Plain and whole wheat pita.

Dried dates.

Olives of various sorts.

Chips and a really good local salsa.

Chocolate cake.

Assortment of Middle Eastern sweets.

Grapes.

Stuffed grape leaves (vegetarian)

Vegetables: celery, carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers of varying colors, brocolli, mushrooms, snap peas.

Ground cherries.

Some dip that I don't understand because I wasn't responsible for.

Snail pate (from France).

Terrine de Lapin a l/Armagnac, also from France.

Apples. Caramel fruit dip.

Beer and soft drinks in the basement. Wine upstairs.

People will bring more stuff, I know.

Bruce

More party food:

Chocolate cake.

M&Ms.

Apple crisp.

Shrimp and coctail sauce.

Weird-ass Japanes dried fish stuff.

Turkish delight.

Rabbit pate (from France).

Two home grown watermelons.

Walnut potica roll.

Apple crisp.

And a whole bunch of other things I can't recall right now.

Music is starting soon. I need to run the dishwasher. (These two facts are not related.)

Bruce

Edited by Schneier (log)

Man- is everyone here rich and sophisticated!!!!

That party alone probably costs what I spend to feed my family in a month!

Don't get me wrong-I love reading all about expensive restaurants etc. it is just a whole other world.

Any stay at home moms here who love to cook but do so on a budget????

I really don't mean this in a critical way-it just blows my mind that's all! :shock:

Welcome to eGullet, kimabima.

There are several people who fit your bill ("stay-at-home moms") and a lot of people who fall in between that category and the "rich and sophisticated" kind. :hmmm:

Look around and take a peek. eGullet has a rainbow of flavors and types. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers,

Soba

Thanks soba!

I do enjoy reading here and I should post more often. I do not think rich and sophisticated are negative adjectives!!!

I like seeing how the other half lives! I am not poor nor am I a hick .

Cooking is a passion of mine (but some days it is a dreary task!). I hope I didn't sound too harsh-I just wondered if everyone here eats gourmet food all the time!

Bet I know what's up for Monday: FASTING!!!!!!!!!

Um; no.

This really is a normal week for me. Is it that abnormal? I have no idea.

Bruce

There went my hunch... :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Bruce

the original, or NYC?

The original resaurant in Napa. The New York restaurant is going to have a different name. (I have no idea why; you'd think they'd want to keep the PR value of the name.)

The California restaurant will close in the beginning of the year for renovations, when Keller comes to New York to open his restaurant there.

Bruce

oh, it's not closing til beginning of year?

i had thought NYC was opening before end of year.

actually i think they're better off with a different name.

there's a little too much hype around FL and Keller.

overexpectations can hurt just as much.

i don't expect the new place will have trouble filling seats initially.

whether that changes is of course up in the air now.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Turkish delight.

so what made it delightful?

Music is starting soon.  I need to run the dishwasher.  (These two facts are not related.)

Why not? Man, stop living in the stone age. You gotta get a new dishwasher. Mine is automatically triggered by the stereo turning on.

Usually when I turn the stereo on before I go to the sink to wash the dishes.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

So, how did the dinner party go? I expected a full rerport before you went to sleep.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Man- is everyone here rich and sophisticated!!!!

That party alone probably costs what I spend to feed my family in a month!

Don't get me wrong-I love reading all about expensive restaurants etc. it is just a whole other world.

Any stay at home moms here who love to cook but do so on a budget????

I really don't mean this in a critical way-it just blows my mind that's all! :shock:

I've given parties where I spend a lot of money for foods and etc, and I've given parties where I spend next to nothing and count on the guest bringing most of the foods and etc. Both have been equally successful.

This party was particularly expensive. Karen and I noticed that when we eyeballed the credit card reciepts. I don't know why.

There are all kinds on eGullet, but I have always considered Chowhound to be more of the "cheap eats" site. I would agree that most people on this site have a lot of money to toss around on food and etc.

Bruce

So, how did the dinner party go?  I expected a full rerport before you went to sleep.

Before I go to sleep? The last guest left at 4:00 AM.

This wasn't a dinner party. This was one of our regular irregular non-dinner parties.

There were about 60 people, total.

I'll post a full report when I finish waking up.

Bruce

Before I go to sleep?  The last guest left at 4:00 AM.

Wow. I'm impressed.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Before I go to sleep?  The last guest left at 4:00 AM.

Wow. I'm impressed.

We have impressive parties.

Music started about 10:00. It's a music circle jam party, and we get a lot of good people. They stopped playing at about 3:00, and then there was another hour of winding down.

Bruce

Edited by Schneier (log)