• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We'll be in Paris in two weeks.

Bux

Mrs. B and I will be in Paris from the 5th to the 8th of October. Actually we arrive on the 4th and leave early the 9th. Would any members in Paris during that time be interested in getting together? Sorry for the short notice, but our own plans have been somewhat vague. At the moment, the ideal time for us to join anyone at a bistro for an informal eGullet get together would be Wednesday night, October 8. Sunday, October 5 or even Saturday October 4, might be a possibility as well. Monday and Tuesday are definitely committed. Afternoons are a possibility and certainly a coffee or a beer is as good as meeting over a dinner table. We're staying in the sixth arrondissement close to the Fifth near the Jardin du Luxembourg, but we're comfortable getting anywhere in Paris. We expect to have Internet access in Paris, to keep in contact with people.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'm in!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Bux, I could probably come over for lunch on the 8th -- dinner would be slightly more complicated. I'd get an early train from Waterloo and a return around 1800.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Mrs. B and I will be in Paris from the 5th to the 8th of October. Actually we arrive on the 4th and leave early the 9th. Would any members in Paris during that time be interested in getting together? Sorry for the short notice, but our own plans have been somewhat vague. At the moment, the ideal time for us to join anyone at a bistro for an informal eGullet get together would be Wednesday night, October 8. Sunday, October 5 or even Saturday October 4, might be a possibility as well. Monday and Tuesday are definitely committed. Afternoons are a possibility and certainly a coffee or a beer is as good as meeting over a dinner table. We're staying in the sixth arrondissement close to the Fifth near the Jardin du Luxembourg, but we're comfortable getting anywhere in Paris. We expect to have Internet access in Paris, to keep in contact with people.

Effectively It would be a great pleasure to meet you.

Philippe raynaud

Les d�lices du Net

Les D�lices de Daubenton-Paris

If you extend your stay for a couple of weeks, my wife and I could meet you on Oct. 22.  Give it some thought.

Alas, I suspect our tickets are non-refundable and we have committments waiting back in NY. Perhaps some of those coming for the Foire du Fermier, or whatever it's called will still be around.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Too bad we missed you! Just got back yesterday from 3 weeks in France, the last 4 days in Paris. We were so exhausted in Paris, however, that we did not do very much. They had a tremendous event going on, the Journee de Patrimoine, where many public buildings not normally open to the public were made available. We did see the Mint building, right on the Place de la Concorde, where Marie Antoinette spent a lot of her time.

One place that was highly recommended we missed, having failed to make a reservation several days in advance. Perhaps you can eat there for us and we can live vicariously through your report. The place is called Dome du Marais, 53 Rue des Francs Bourgeois, in the heart of the Marais, right off the Rue du Temple. Tel. 01 42 74 54 17. Just won a "Coup de Coeur" award as well, accounting I guess for the need for an advance reservation. We passed by and it is in a gorgeous courtyard with an atrium well off the street and the noise.

Also in that area is the new Jewish Museum, a very wonderful place only 5 years old in an old mansion. I think they are at 71 rue du Temple.

It's great to be back in my own bed and bath, but I do miss the cafe life so much. Oh, to sit everyday and have a Kir at 4PM!!

Edited by menton1 (log)

I know the Jewish museum. In addition to their permanent collection, they also have some interesting temporary exhibits. I've been past the Dome du Marais, but haven't eaten there, yet. Do you know if I'm correct in my belief that it's part of the Le Dome and Bistrot du Dome? Both of those are known for their fish.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 2 weeks later...

Bon voyage!! You might consider taking some Melatonin-- This weekend is their annual "Nuits Blanches", or sleepless nights!! Arts and music on the streets all night, and the subways and buses run all night!! Jealous!! Always something great going on in Paris!!

I'm sorry that I didn't see your post before as I would love to join you. I'm always looking for an excuse to eat out :)

And I live very close to where you are staying in the 6th off of Rue de Seine.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

menton, La Nuit Blanche is tonight - Saturday the 4th - but I must need to warn anyone going out tonight - stay in your quartier or wear comfortable walking shoes. Yeah, public transport's running all night, but it's going to be packed - forget about taxis. I'm heading over to the the Champ du Mars and the Tower tonight - can't wait! La Nuit Blanche

And I hate to rub salt into the wound, but also this weekend/week are Les 7 Jours du 7e - big neighborhood festival here in the 7th. And to add even more insult to injury, yesterday Marie-Anne Cantin had a table out front - handing out free cheese samples. Sorry. :biggrin: I'm going on a guided walk today to visit artisans part of our daily lives - boulangers, fromagers, etc. Les 7 Jours du 7e

Louisa, you're killing me-- always something fun happening in Paris-- here in NJ it seems pretty dull by comparison-- I also miss the 2 hours + dinners. Here they think good service is to get you out in 1 hour!

Have fun, bisous to Karli.

Is Bux having a réunion with the Paris Egulleteers?

We're meeting/eating on Wednesday, :biggrin: but we had a chance to get together with Louisa yesterday for coffee. My connection here is not as reliable as I had hoped it would be. It's not likely I'll be posting as much as I wanted to, but I'll be, but I'm reading as often as possible.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

My connection here is not as reliable as I had hoped it would be.

I noticed this year there were more and more internet cafes in Paris, seems almost 1 on every block-- found the connections to be fast and reliable mostly--

The only thing I hated was the different French keyboards-- finding the "@" symbol is a real adventure!! :smile:

I noticed this year there were more and more internet cafes in Paris, seems almost 1 on every block--  found the connections to be fast and reliable mostly--

The only thing I hated was the different French keyboards-- finding the "@" symbol is a real adventure!!  :smile:

We're not far from the Sorbonne and I don't know if that makes much of a difference, but I see them all over, and I didn't last year. It would really be nice to have the access in our room, but for some reason I can't pick up the signal there. Fortunately the hotel has a nice lobby and the signal is strong where I'm currently sitting on a nice comfortable sofa. The connection is also free, although I might have saved some money had I chosen a hotel that didn't promise free wireless internet access in every room. The keyboard comment reminds me that it's nice to be able to use my own keyboard and computer should I want to down load anything. I can also compose messages and e-mails and then upload them when I make the connection.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

A lot of French Internet Cafes offer american keyboard ("klavier Americain") if you ask. A lot of times, if you speak any French at all, it won't occur to them to offer one, though (until they hear you cursing after your 84th a-q (revered on French keyboard) typo.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

A million people showed up. And, when I came home from work, it took me 1 1/2 hours to find a parking space, so in my opinion, it sucked!

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

A million people showed up. And, when I came home from work, it took me 1 1/2 hours to find a parking space, so in my opinion, it sucked!

You are a party pooper, you don't realize how lucky you are to live in the most exciting city in the world!!

Perhaps you should consider a relocation to the "Campagne", plenty of parking!! :biggrin:

a, I know how you feel every weekend in SoHo (NY). From our part, we saw just one event between dinner and our hotel. Actually we didn't see it, we saw a lot of people standing around, but couldn't see what they were expecting to see. We assumed the "event" was only illuminated from time to time. The next day we discovered some buildings painted with lines. The lines were disjointed, but if one stood in the correct position, they all lined up to form triangles. There were a few things I might have liked to see, but we were too jet lagged. As it was Saturday night and we had dinner in a very lively area, it was hard to tell if the activity was unusual. The spot with the crowd however, was at a square that's been dead after dark the rest of the time, so that crowd was for that event.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

My dog, friend, and I had the great pleasure having dinner last night with Bux, Mrs. B, delights, delights mother, David Bizer, and David's girlfriend at L'Auvergne Gourmande last night. Met fresh_a after for drinks - kicked off with beers on the street with Chef Christian Constant himself.

This pleasure was shared by I and My mother.

Very friendly,I was so happy to meet all of you.

And I recommend l'Auvergne Gourmande.

A tasty dinner,and I am sure I'll come back in this place.

Philippe raynaud

Les d�lices du Net

Les D�lices de Daubenton-Paris