• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Separating red pepper flakes from seeds

coolgeek

I buy dried peppers and make my own "pepper flakes" or powders. Or I buy my powders at my Latin market. I am not sure why you would want to try to separate the seeds. I use the pepper with seeds on pasta, pizza, etc. and that is just part of it. Pepper powder or flakes with seeds is just another product.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Keep the seeds and in the pepper.

Go buy a pack of red pepper flakes from a Korean market.  On of the standard products found there are seedless red pepper flakes.  These have and excelnt flavour.

These are great. I use them in everything. Wonderful pepper flavor, nice color.

Get a saucer, a crochet hoop, some cheese cloth, and a fairly strong fan. Put the cheese cloth through the crochet hoop so it's like a butterfly net (make sure you have lots of cheese cloth). Put the cheese cloth net on a counter and put the saucer through the hoop so it's just inside your net. Put some of the chile flakes on the saucer and stand up the crochet hoop so it's perpendicular to the counter surface. Put the fan a fair distance away and turn it on. Progressively move the fan closer so it blows off the flakes but not the seeds.

Then, shut off the fan and remove the saucer. Finally, shake the "chaff" out of the cheese cloth net.

Et voila!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I am still trying to picture this process but I keep getting the giggles.

edit to add: The scary thing is, I am getting really curious as to whether or not it would actually work. I have this visual of my kids catching me doing this and yelling their usual... "Quick! Get mom's medication!"

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hire a neighborhood kid to separate them manually. Remember to tell him to not touch any part of his body until he's finished and washes his hands.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I don't usually remove the seeds from the flakes but...

Try using a colander with holes smaller than the seeds. The smaller flakes will fall through (although so will some smaller and broken seeds), most of the whole seeds and some large flakes will remain in the colander.

Caution: this action allows chile dust to become airborne, hence, the sneezing reaction. icon5.gif

Geeky enough?

~Amy

Go buy a pack of red pepper flakes from a Korean market.  On of the standard products found there are seedless red pepper flakes.  These have and excelnt flavour.

I ditto that. I have never been quite sure how the Korean red pepper flakes are processed (anyone know? I'm curious) but I use them all the time. They have a better flavor than the supermarket jarred flakes which have often lost most of their zip.

Ruth Friedman

Alex - Where's the sport in providing a warning?

Yeah, I know. What can I say? -- I'm just a nice guy.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer