• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite/Least Favorite Food "Celebrities"

erraticninja

If everyone is going to focus on looks, I would submit Food Network's culinary producer who has camios in a lot of the programs and is the instructor in 50% (it seems) of FoodTV.com's instructional videos- Jill Novatt.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/kitchen_ex...2307144,00.html

I always thought she was really cute.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

ITS 2005 AND I WOULD LIKE TO TELL U MY FAVES, HOW COME THE MOST CURRENT IS 2003???

Love.....Giada De Laurentis

When Bobby Flay grills

Joanne Weir

The show Christina COOKS, not on food network...on 133 create station

she has a blues guy singing and playing while she cooks healthy, veg

meals

Jacque Pepin although he uses a lot of Tabasco? (french chef?)

Lidia's show-although Felidia stinks, and becco is alright, nothing is like

what she makes on tv...

Martha Stewart-when is she coming back???

Dislike.....Rachel Ray she's cute alright..but she can't cook that good at all

Paula Deen....too fattening

Yan should be canned

That blonde partly homemade lame girl-whats her name Sandra Dee?

Like....

Barefoot contessa-she amazes me how unhealthy she cooks but i like

her house, love the hamptons so i watch it

Mario...he cooks pretty good italian, too much weird stuff i wouldn't eat

like tongues and other organs

Oh, that new spanish chicky Daisy is real good, i could love her maybe

ITS 2005 AND I WOULD LIKE TO TELL U MY FAVES, HOW COME THE MOST CURRENT IS 2003???

Agreed!

Love:

Julia (Of course.)

Jacques (Adorable, delicious, and fun.)

Ina Garten (Everything except her weirdly uncomfortable laugh.)

Jeffrey Steingarten (I cannot say enough good things, so I won't even try.)

Alton Brown (So entertaining, and I find technique to be more helpful than recipes when it comes to cooking shows, so he rocks, big time.)

Like:

Paula Deen (I never make her food, but she makes me miss my mom a little less!)

Chris Kimball (Have to give him a shout-out, since we went to the same high school.)

Martha Stewart (Oddly soothing, and love the celadon-and-cream color scheme.)

Tyler Florence (Cute, and decent, simple food.)

Mark Bittman (His recipes are not to-die-for, but the way he writes them sure is. He's at his best when paired with a world-class chef - they pull him up, he grounds them in reality.)

Dislike:

Rachael Ray (Too perky, but the food is actually ok, if not revelatory.)

Revile:

Sandra Lee (Mmmmm, store-bought frosting mixed with confectioner's sugar makes...truffles? EW. Welcome back to 1959, folks.)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

And why must I see Emeril everywhere? Am I the only one that can't stand him? Or is it just his audience that makes him so aggravating?

I have to agree, it is his audience that I really don't like - although he does everything he can to egg them on.

Emeril: And then I add a little gaalic, bu-bam!

Sheep in audience: Whoooooa yeah! Woop woop woooooop!

Emeril: And them some wine...

Emeril: Oh yeah babe, how about a little more? (hums ridiculous song to self)

Emeril: Oh yeah babe, how about a little more? (hums ridiculous song to self)

and that ridiculous song is the greatest annoyance i have with emeril.

i think the guy has chops. but his stirring song, his "i don't know where you get your blank but where i get it, it don't come seasoned" are the things that annoy me the most. the bams suck. the ridiculous cheers every time he says gahhhh lic or something annoy me. but that hummy song. it drives me batty.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as likes are concerned, grew up watching (on a PBS-equivalent channel) some foodshows by house-wives. But then something different happened and we had Martin Yan, and man! that was interesting and entertaining and learning experience. Also, the first Indian commercial cooking show, "Khana Khazana" by Sanjeev Kapoor and offcourse the midnight showings of Galloping gourmet.

Dislikes - Sandra Lee, Flay's QB-type attitude, Rachel Ray's 'once-upon-a-time-at-band-camp' persona, Martha's .........

I guess there's something about almost everyone that I dislike, other than Sandra Lee.

• 4 weeks later...

My brother wanted to weigh in here:

Why to hate Rachel Ray.

The $40.00 a day show is a good idea for a show. But one reason she keeps to under $40.00 a day is, she leaves the absolute LOUSIEST tips! Her average tip on the show is hovering around 10%.

And one can fault the Fine Living Channel (run by Food Network as well). There is some fatuous asshole on there, who has a brief little blurb on the network, who tells you how to tip around the country. L. A. and NYC, 25%. Chicago, 15%?!?!?!

What the hell?

So, down in Kentucky, it's ok to tip 8%? But, we're all expected to blow our wad in LA and NYC? Last time I checked, tipping customs isn't beholden to a particular region but on the performance of your waiter, the surrounding staff and the general enjoyment of your experience.

Personally, I pretty much can't stand the Food Network anymore. There are very few people worth the time to watch. God I miss The Two Fat Ladies!

_______

I miss the Two Fat Ladies too! I know Jennifer died, but just show re-runs!

S. Cue

With the food network's reality show -- The Next Food Celebrity Chef or whatever it was -- they focused on how a good food celebrity had to have a gimmick of some sorts... They had a really hot blonde who was acting like a complete ditz (because that's what blondes do), an obese, jovial (because that's what fat people are like), rapping black man (because black people rap, see?) but of course, being so radically original in their programming, they settled on two gay guys. Man, how DO they come up with these wild ideas?

Uh, then I thought -- what would RR's gimmick be, if she was on that show?

1) She giggles a whole lot.

2) She can carry a whole bunch of stuff at the same time.

Brilliant.

Lately my vote goes to Mark Bittman on PBS "How to Cook Everything" and I think she's on the Style channel, some Brit lady is "Queen of the Kitchen" and amusing. Always Alton Brown and Ina Garten from TFN.

Anthony Bourdain

Jacques Pepin

Molto Mario

Two fat ladies

Tyler

Jacques Torres

Alton Brown

Can't stand

Rachel Ray

Sandra Lee!!!!! Chile probably made with cheese wiz and spam and some canned beans :wacko:

Emeril

Bobby Flay

Rocco

Jacques Pepin's Daughter :shock:

Michael Chiarello (yet I like some of his recipes)

Best---Julia,Jacques, Mario, Michael Chiarello, Pierre Franey RIP, Wm. J. Garry (Bon Appetit, RIP), Rick Stein, Barefoot and Bourdain.

Worst---Iron Chefs, Bobby Flay, Jamie Oliver, Paula Deen.

Wm. J. Garry was the best editor and writer B.A. ever had. I miss Pierre too. Paula pulled herself up from a mess, but her accent is so grating.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

My list has changed somewhat...

Like:

Emeril (liked him before, the kitchen makeover show sold me. Plus, NOLA is (was? :sad: ) a very good restaurant)

Jacques

Julia

Jamie Oliver (he's a doofus but his heart seems to be in the right place. Plus, his food is good)

Alton Brown (geeks rule)

The original Iron Chefs

Nigella

Rick Bayless (his delivery sounds like he lit up right before going on air)

Eh:

Tony Bourdain (can we say overexposed? I knew we could...)

Rachael Ray (I don't watch her, but she's making a hell of a career for herself. Plus, her recipes actually work.)

Bobby Flay (what a maroon)

Paula Deen (her food does not appeal to me at all)

Ina Garten

Mario Batali (Great chef, but can't watch him anymore)

The only ones I really can't stand are Sandra Lee, and smarmy Mr DiSpirito

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I have no idea whether or not I've ever replied to this thread but here goes:

Current Faves

Ina Garten

Michael Chiarello

Stephen Raichlen (BBQ Guy)

Mario Batali

Daisy Cooks (PBS - Puerto Rican Cookery)

Sarah Moulton (more for attitude than cooking)

Martha Stewart (not really a chef but a helluva cook - can't wait for the new show)

Old Faves

Julia

The Frugal Gourmet

Galloping Gourmet

Pierre Franey

Madeleine Kamman

David Rosengarten (from the heyday of TVFN)

Two Hot Tamales

Can take or leave...

Giada

Dave Lieberman

Amazing but Don't try this at home...

Thomas Keller

Collette Peters

Jacques Torres

DETEST

Sandra Lee (for sooooooooo many reasons)

Good Chefs/Cooks but totally played out and/or lost credibility

Emeril

Bobby Flay

Rachael Ray

Rocco DiSpirito

Martin Yan was a guest on Emeril's show last night...

I've seen them together before - seems like a perfect match. Two showmen, enjoying what they love best. I prefer not to watch either of them, but I can understand their popularity - lots of energy.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I think I replied before, but here's my new pet peeve....

Those chefs/cooks who insist on tasting their food and then rolling their eyes and pratically swooning - especially Paula Deen who takes monstrous mouthfuls and then proceeds to talk with her mouth full! You can see the food in her mouth as she talks - Yuck! Then she can't wait to shovel in another mouthful as fast as she can.

Giada always prepares a side dish for herself and sometimes over-does the mouthful size...

Why do they even bother? Are they going to spit it out ala Ramsey and declare it crap? Its a waste of air time.

I'm not a huge fan of Emeril, but I admire his proper chef technique of tasting for seasoning (he uses the stiring spoon to transfer a reasonable amount to a tasting spoon, and only uses the spoon once.)

Rachel, who many despise, at least avoids the fake tasting during her 30 minute show, and takes small tastes - very appropriate - on her $40 Dollar show. However, has she ever said she didn't like what she got?

At least on the Iron Chef shows the judges slam some dishes appropriately.

Sorry for the rant, just my current peeve!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Lately, I've found myself having to resist the urge to reach through the TV and beat the smug sense of self importance out of Tyler Florence. It just wafts off the guy like bad B.O., so much so that I feel like taking a shower after accidently flipping past his program. It's too bad, because I used to think he was pretty tolerable, and his shows were more or less informative.

Ming Tsai has also taken a turn for the worse since he left PBS for Fine Living. His show on PBS was super-informative and totally bullshit free, but his new show (Ming's Travels?) is just painful to watch with the cloying, day-glo, corny, over-produced feel that Fine Living and all of its sibling networks have made into a trademark.

Edited by iheartoffal (log)

Nothing to see here.

Rachel, who many despise, at least avoids the fake tasting during her 30 minute show, and takes small tastes - very appropriate - on her $40 Dollar show.  However, has she ever said she didn't like what she got?

Well, I'm sure the place and the dish are pre-screened, so she's probably pretty sure she's getting something yummy.

Which doesn't make it any less irritating, I grant you. :raz:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Dig:

Alton Brown. Creative, educational; there's a reason Good Eats is filling up my DVR.

Anthony Bourdain. The honesty and lack-of-watering-down is fantastic. KC was inspirational, and I've read it multiple times over.

Paula Deen. I just like her personality. Not quite sure what it is.

Indifferent:

Emeril. Flay. Florence.

Nein:

Rachael Ray. I agree. Enough shows already.

Ina Garten. Maybe I'm the odd man out, but she seems a bit too...I like to think she's had a lot of Xanax before filming. And I could care less that she's cooking for Jeffrey. The hanging on each other while we watch the brisket cook? NOT. INTERESTED.

Martin Yan was a guest on Emeril's show last night...

A friend said that Martin Yan fakes his accent? Is this true or was she pulling my leg.

BTW, I think you can tell a lot about a cook/chef by their knife skills. Ever seen Martin in action. The only equal I've seen to Martin is Jacques Pepin (on TV anyway).

I finally saw an episode of "Good Deal with Dave Lieberman" the other day, which really was quite good. No silly gimmicks or grating "personality" quirks like maniacal grinning or giggling or catchphrases etc. He occasionally sports a crooked, nearly leering smile, but I think that's just cause he's nervous during his first few shows...

He would occasionally try to do something, and then give up, and perform the task in a different way, and even seem to space out and get sidetracked about things... This was really refreshing, because it made the show seem spontaneous and genuine.

I like him. If he could just get a rolling pin and give rayray and Sandra Lee a good beating, I'd really love him. :smile:

I finally saw an episode of "Good Deal with Dave Lieberman" the other day, which really was quite good. No silly gimmicks or grating "personality" quirks like maniacal grinning or giggling or catchphrases etc. He occasionally sports a crooked, nearly leering smile, but I think that's just cause he's nervous during his first few shows...

He would occasionally try to do something, and then give up, and perform the task in a different way, and even seem to space out and get sidetracked about things... This was really refreshing, because it made the show seem spontaneous and genuine.

I like him. If he could just get a rolling pin and give rayray and Sandra Lee a good beating, I'd really love him.  :smile:

Yeah, I agree - he's pretty cute, and very natural and easy. I think I've officially found my first-ever food TV crush! :wub:

Queenie Takes Manhattan