• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This is your chance

fresco

My son and I are dining alone this week, so there is pizza in our very immediate future--say in about two hours' time.

The dough is ready. A tin of tomatos laced with olive oil and topped with onions and garlic is roasting in the Weber outside, to be turned into sauce. I have a fairly extensive list of ingredients available.

If you want to help design a pizza or pizzas (our tastes are sufficiently different that two is a possibility) chime in now--and quickly.

Ingredients include

Olives

Smoked Mennonite sausage

Smoked mennonite bacon

A chunk of mozza

A chunk of feta

Two peppers, one yellow, one orange

The remnants of spinach from last night, cooked.

Potato

Leftover grilled chicken (although I've never found it worked well on pizza)

Fresh and dried oregano

Fresh basil

Onion

Garlic

There is also most of a fresh pineapple, which my son would probably want on a pizza, but I loathe.

He would prefer the mozza, I'm happy with either feta or.

I like fewer rather than more ingredients.

Ideas?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Here's mine:

Olives

Smoked mennonite bacon

A chunk of feta

Fresh and dried oregano

Onion

Garlic

mmmm, smoked mennonite...... a la Homer

I'd go with that. Add some marinated mormon and a touch of dry aged amish, and you've got yourself a PIZZA... or something.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Tomato sauce topped with (in this order):

mozzarella

lightly sautéed yellow bells/garlic

bacon

Or leave off the bacon and do peppers/garlic with mozzarella and the fresh basil. I wouldn't put them together: the smoke could clash with the basil.

Awww, what fun is that? Minimalist pizza? Fie on that...eat a cracker instead. :smile:

I like a melange of ingredients, the more the merrier. "Hey, it's a party in my mouth!"

I'd suggest a half-and-half, if you're only making one pizza. Give your son his tomato sauce, pineapple, mozzerella and meat (bacon and/or sausage...what!? No ham?).

For your half, red sauce, basil and feta...close to a traditional margherita (sp?) pizza.

Sounds great! I hope you can post a pic of the final "pie".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The son threw a bit of a curve at me, but a good curve. He opted for pineapple as a snack, an hour and a half at the gym, and then a pizza topped with mozza, sausage, onion and pepper. He may be developing a palate.

I'm leading towards the combination suggested by Savour Chef (and with minor variations, others): bacon, feta, olives, onion, garlic, fresh and dried oregano.

But wait: there may be a further complication. I may be joined by two friends. She is reasonably anti-food and will insist on pineapple and ham and will have to settle for bacon. He will eat anything, so probably what I'm having.

Thanks for all of your suggestions--they were great.

Sorry, no digital camera, so no pix.

The son threw a bit of a curve at me, but a good curve. He opted for pineapple as a snack, an hour and a half at the gym, and then  a pizza topped with mozza, sausage, onion and pepper. He may be developing a palate.

I'm leading towards the combination suggested by Savour Chef (and with minor variations, others): bacon, feta, olives, onion,  garlic, fresh and dried oregano.

But wait: there may be a further complication. I may be joined by two friends. She is reasonably anti-food and will insist on pineapple and ham and will have to settle for bacon. He will eat anything, so probably what I'm having.

Thanks for all of your suggestions--they were great.

Sorry, no digital camera, so no pix.

You can't let that bacon go to waste. Maybe a side of bacon? Or dessert?

Edit - I see i misread another post. Your version sounds right on.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

It's not the American way, but I agree with you totally here. There is an exact quantity of toppings that belongs on a pizza, and putting more on makes it a confused and soggy mess. If you want a pile of toppings, make it deep dish.

Every time I make pizza, my daughter says it's the best she's ever had. And she's a person with exquisite tastes.

I'm glad no one recommended putting the potato on the pizza.

It does sort of horrible--kind of like the corn you find on pizzas in London--but potato on a pizza with cumin, onion, and yogurt is surprisingly good.

Son's pizza was a big hit--he arrived home with a friend and there was plenty for two.

First of two more--pineapple and bacon--just went into oven.

Edited by fresco (log)

First of two more--pineapple and bacon--just went into oven.

Matter and anti-matter: bacon and pineapple.

Get out of there before the oven explodes, fresco!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Poor poor bacon. :sad:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM