• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red bananas

Dave the Cook

On the way home today, I had what is becoming so common an occurence, i have given it a name: the eGullet Moment.

An eGullet Moment is when something -- an ingredient, a name, a technique -- reminds me of something I read on the boards. Now, this in itself is not unusual. To qualify as an eG Moment, I must be struck with a particular type of memory lapse: one that allows me to remember that something is important, but not why.

So I walk into the grocery store, and ther at the head of the produce section, is a heap o' red bananas. "Red bananas!" I say to myself. "I just read about them." Of course, this being an eGullet Moment, I couldn't remember what I had read, only that I had. But so great is my faith in the Mother of All Food Sites that I bought some anyway.

I have faith in you, oh my eGulls. Don't let me down. Don't put the lie to my certitude. Don't dick around with my dogma.

What do I do with these things?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Eh.

Chop them up, marinate in lime and chile paste.

Sear some pieces of pork loin, remove, deglaze with roughly chopped scallions and much ginger, a few mushrooms. Put pork back in. Take a bit of the marinating liquid from bananas, add to pan. Throw out bananas. Or add them to the pan if one is too cheap to throw them out.

Have with fried corn tortillas and beer.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Our Jinmyo Has Spoken, and that's one of the reasons she is such an eGullet treasure.

What a good idea! Now, of course, I'll be seeking out red bananas! I want to make this.

Yes, the eGullet Moment. It happens to me all the time, whether it's buying wine (Help! What did Craig or Lady T. say?) thinking about Real Food (Help! What did Jaymes say?) looking at some tortillas (Help! What did guajolote say?) checking out Teflon (Help! What did Dave say?) smoking Large Pieces of Meat (Help! What did Klinck say?) looking at Kimchee (Jinmyo says it's my Personal Savior!)

And I haven't even started here . Larb, for example.

Thanks, Guys. It's like having a chorus at my ear every time I think about food,

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Specifically, does the eGullet moment mean you think you read about it on eGullet, or just that you think you read about it anywhere?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Our  Jinmyo Has Spoken, and that's one of the reasons she is such an eGullet treasure.

You know, its funny. With the new avatar I can actually see the words come out.

I have eG moments occasionally. Sometimes in reverse. I see something and realize that some of the people here are the only ones who'd appreciate it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I have eG moments occasionally. Sometimes in reverse. I see something and realize that some of the people here are the only ones who'd appreciate it.

This happens to me too! I shall have to make an effort to run to the 'puter (at home or at work) and post next time it does. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Specifically, does the eGullet moment mean you think you read about it on eGullet, or just that you think you read about it anywhere?
There's somewhere else?

This happens to me too! I shall have to make an effort to run to the 'puter (at home or at work) and post next time it does. :smile:

Examples, people!

(No offense, Katherine, but if I can't do better by my red bananas than your reassuring advice, I might as well give this thread over to "eG vu.")

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I went to the market today and saw those red bananas too. I did give them some thought, came home and saw this thread! Is that an eG moment? Sort of?

A suggestion about the red bananas came from the organic folks at Melissa's. I found the Red Banana and Pink Grapefruit Brulee with Fruit Salsa and the Strawberry, Rhubarb and Red Banana Crostata of interest. Click here.

Red Banannas are a different clone then the normal Cavendish type. The taste slighly different (in a good way), but the important thing is that they are pretty flavourless until they ripen. Not mushy soft with black bits ripen, but soft to the squeeze.

You thought of eG when you saw the Red Banannas? Funny, I always think of attractive, nubile and topless young things when I see red banannas. I think I win.

Gauguin

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

There's somewhere else?

Examples, people!

(No offense, Katherine, but if I can't do better by my red bananas than your reassuring advice, I might as well give this thread over to "eG vu.")

Each to his own. But I much prefer eating them straight (being, after all, a purist at heart) than putting lots of labor into them and then throwing them away.

...I much prefer eating them straight (being, after all, a purist at heart) than putting lots of labor into them and then throwing them away.

Good point. I reserve that treatment for cucumbers:

"A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing."

- Samuel Johnson

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Each to his own.  But I much prefer eating them straight (being, after all, a purist at heart) than putting lots of labor into them and then throwing them away.

'Twas a joke, Katherine.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

As solutions to your banana problem haven't been legion in this thread, here are a couple of ideas (neither of which I've tried, btw; like Katherine, I've only eaten them out of hand).

Caramelized Red Banana Tartlets (from Chez Panisse Fruits). On the bottoms of small (4") prebaked pâté sucrée tartlet shells, drizzle caramel in thin threads to form a sticky, nest-like web. Arrange 3 overlapping 1/4-inch banana slices on each web. Fill each shell with 1/4 cup rum-spiked pastry cream. Top with 6 banana slices. Drizzle with more caramel.

Red Banana Splits (from a friend): Your classic banana split but using Haagen Dazz Rum and Raisin and Dulce de Leche ice creams. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and top with whipped cream.

I'm sure they'd also make fine banana fritters.

Unlike yellow bananas, colour isn't necessarily an indication of ripeness. They're ready when they give slightly when squeezed.

You thought of eG when you saw the Red Banannas? Funny, I always think of attractive, nubile and topless young things when I see red banannas. I think I win.

And of course, now when I see attractive, nubile and topless young things, I'm going to have yet another eGullet Moment. Thanks a lot, Adam.

Even though they're a different clone, I assume they ripen off the tree like a Cavendish. Is this correct? They're still pretty firm right now.

Thanks for the ideas, katherine, carswell and beans. I think for this first bunch, we'll just get acquainted and eat them out-of-hand. Those Chez Panisse tartlets sound good, though.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 2 months later...
I went to the market today and saw those red bananas too.  I did give them some thought, came home and saw this thread!  Is that an eG moment?  Sort of?

I believe that precognitive effect is called an "espGullet moment". :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Copied from another thread I just started when I was looking for this thread:

I was at the grocery store when I realized that almost every time I go there, I have an "egullet moment". I see something that has been discussed, and I usually end up getting it. The problem is when I can't remember if the discussion was in favor of or against the product!

Just now I was at the store and I passed the hot dogs. I saw Hebrew National and I remembered they've been praised here. So I picked some up.

Later on, in the bread crumb section, I saw panko. Had to get it. It's probably not the best kind because it's not in a Japanese store, right?

Then I remembered someone's suggestion to get bone-in chicken breasts and prepare them myself. I do this, and I've been thinking of how I can save money in similar ways. So I got a Pecorino Romano wedge and a block of colby/jack and planned on grating it at home. It was about half the price of shredded cheese. I've only grated the Pecorino Romano so far because I uh, grated a bit of my thumb too, and it hurts.

Small triumphs compared to most of you, but I just wanted to share how much I've been learning from you all.

Adam's

nubile and topless young things
have to stay in the imagination even if you open his gaugin link...

what i thought he was going to say was that he imagined nubile and topless young things when he thought of eGullet! but i see fom this thread that eGulleters are more likely to be buxom than nubile

evidence of true enjoyment of food can only be positive.

as i added on the other thread, i thought "embonpoint" was the word FG might have used (instead of endowment) - embonpoint means literally (in the French), in good shape. you can't argue with that.