• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great (and not so great) American salads

Fat Guy

So the quesion remains, if Cesar Cardini invented it, why isn't is C-E-S-A-R salad instead of C-A-E-S-A-R salad then?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

So the quesion remains, if Cesar Cardini invented it, why isn't is C-E-S-A-R salad instead of C-A-E-S-A-R salad then?

Fabulous question. I'd like to know the answer myself. Of course, there are are a few obvious reasons - like ignorance on the part of the menu makers and restauranteurs in the States, and the fact that "Cesar" is the Spanish spelling of Caesar.....

Actually, since the guy was an Italian immigrant, he probably did spell his name Caesar. But in Mexico, everyone would spell it Cesar and pronounce it "Say-sar." So that may be why the name of the hotel/restaurant is "Cesar's."

Supposedly he and his brother immigrated to the U.S. and wound up in San Diego. They wanted to open an Italian restaurant there but because of prohibition, decided to locate it in Tijuana - the original location being a mere block or two from the U.S. border.

But I agree with FG. Regardless as to whether or not Caesar/Cesar had his feet in Mexico when he invented his famous salad, it is surely "American" now.

But Jason, to get to the bottom of it, why don't you click on the link that I provided above and ring them up and ask them???

:biggrin:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Question: should there be black olives in a Cobb Salad?

I don't think it's part of the traditional recipe:

http://www.thefoodmaven.com/radiorecipes/c...cobb_salad.html

But so what? I like them. And subtle variation from cook to cook is part of what these salads are all about.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Cornbread Salad - one of my very favorites.

And I'll bet not many folks outside of the U.S. have ever tried that. :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I am amazed that a single person in North America has lived past thirty with this recipe floating around! It should be called the American Heart Attack Salad. This recipe has no right calling itself a salad. Most people think of salads as being healthy not something that can instantly kill you.

American Streaky & Hot Pork Salad

1 packet Verkerks American Streaky Bacon

1 packet Verkerks Hot Pork

3 hard-boiled eggs

150g button mushrooms

2 tomatoes

croutons

Finish with a blue cheese dressing & serve on mixed leaves

Join the Shoppers Club called

"Verkerks Gourmet Review"

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I mean, if Thomas Edison had gone to Canada and invented something, you wouldn't call it a Canadian invention. .

Although the Wright Brothers took their invention to North Carolina, and my state proudly claims that it was the First in Flight!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Regardless of actual place of invention, the Caesar salad is most popular in the US, and therefore, an American salad. The Bloody Caesar (a bloody Mary made with clamato juice) invented in Calgary in 1969, remains resolutely Canadian. Although some claim it is now the most popular drink in Canada, I doubt that it has won much popularity elsewhere.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

But so what? I like them. And subtle variation from cook to cook is part of what these salads are all about.

I was only saying to my wife on Saturday that we must dig out a recipe for Cobb salad. And here it is. I know what I'll be having for dinner tonight with the leftovers from yesterday's roast chicken. Thanks Fat Guy.

Cornbread Salad - one of my very favorites.

And I'll bet not many folks outside of the U.S. have ever tried that. :biggrin:

I've never even heard of it. Recipe please?

Cornbread Salad

1 box Jiffy Cornbread, baked, cooled & crumbled (or 1 pan cornbread made with your own favorite recipe)

1 Cup chopped tomatoes

1 Cup chopped celery

½ Cup chopped green bell peppers

1 bunch green onions w/tops, chopped

1 Cup mayo or Miracle Whip

Combine all ingredients thoroughly, cover and chill overnight.

There are a great many variations of this recipe. Here are some others that I have seen:

There’s a Southwestern version where you use Mexican Cornbread Mix and to the above list of ingredients, you add some chilies, and canned kidney, pinto, chili, or Ranch Style beans, drained. Several of the recipes call for a can of corn, also drained. Some used 1 Pkg Hidden Valley Dressing mix (prepared) instead of the Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise. Also, ½ cup chopped sweet pickles or pickle relish and ¼ cup sweet pickle juice was popular. There were two or three recipes that instructed: “top with grated cheese (either Cheddar or Parmesan).” One recipe added pimentos and pecans. All of the other recipes included bacon, anywhere from 4 strips up to 1 pound, fried crisp, chopped, and stirred into the salad, often with some reserved to sprinkle over for garnish.

I don't understand why putting together basic everyday ingredients in a bowl creates a new salad. Sure, a Cobb salad is good. But what's the big deal? Where is the mystery in placing those ingredients in a bowl? I can understand that the caesar salad deserves noteriety. That involved mixing ingredients in a way to create something new. But Cobb basically made a Chef Salad, but with other stuff he happened to have lying around. I mean, 100 monkies at a salad bar will probably make a cobb salad in about 30 minutes.

I'm surprised none of you have mentioned pasta salads yet.

They range in kind from the ones you find in delis and supermarkets (yes, macaroni salad qualifies) to properly made ones that aren't overdressed with Italian dressing.

Soba

I'm surprised none of you have mentioned pasta salads yet.

They range in kind from the ones you find in delis and supermarkets (yes, macaroni salad qualifies) to properly made ones that aren't overdressed with Italian dressing.

Soba

Someone mentioned them quite derisively early on and that probably put the rest of us off.

I certainly wasn't going to express my fondness for them after learning that they are simply "starch, cold and unpleasant."

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

pasta salad doesn't have to be chilled....some of the best ones are those that are made with pasta that's been slightly cooled and tossed with the ingredients for the salad.

And if you've made it properly, then it won't be a sticky gummy mess that it might have turned into.

Personally, I like a nice pasta primavera salad. One thing that I've done on occasion is toss orzo or rotini with avocado, diced plum tomatoes and minced red or Vidalia onion, along with some basil, summer savory and EVOO; maybe salt and white pepper. :smile:

Soba

I don't understand why putting together basic everyday ingredients in a bowl creates a new salad.  Sure, a Cobb salad is good.  But what's the big deal?  Where is the mystery in placing those ingredients in a bowl?  I can understand that the caesar salad deserves noteriety.  That involved mixing ingredients in a way to create something new.  But Cobb basically made a Chef Salad, but with other stuff he happened to have lying around.  I mean, 100 monkies at a salad bar will probably make a cobb salad in about 30 minutes.

I was lucky enough to have a Cobb Salad at the Brown Derby. There was a something very special about that salad. Just the right proportions of ingredients, chopped into a uniform (small) size, and mixed with a creamy, tangy dressing. Adding to the mystery, I was the one of the kids at this dinner party, and one of only two people who figured out that was one of the options for your starter course. I have no memory of the rest of the meal!

No one has mentioned spinach salad - wilted. American or ?

One of my favorites is a Northwest style salad of mixed greens tossed with pears, gorgonzola crumbles, and toasted pecans. Dress with a sherry vinagrette.

Love watermelon with red onions, fennel, cucumbers, basil, and feta. Salad = fresh for me. But also happy to eat potato salad with lemon-tarragon dressing. Some waiting for me tonight.

Hate all those cool whip/mayo/jello things.

It is made using a large box of Orange Jell-O (used in powder form, no water added) simply mixed with a large tub of small-curd cottage cheese, one small can of drained crushed pineapple, one small can of drained mandarin orange segments, one small package of chopped walnuts, and a large tub of Cool Whip.

I can't believe this - I was raised on the Canadian prairie & this was my mother's "must do" salad for every special occasion - Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. It is the same receipe minus the walnuts. I have a niece in her 30's who still makes this "salad" as Christmas would not be Christmas without it!

It is a small world! :biggrin::biggrin:

Life is short, eat dessert first

I don't understand why putting together basic everyday ingredients in a bowl creates a new salad.

I will try to explain:

BECAUSE IT DOES.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Those who have listened to The Morning Show on MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) will remember the song "Lime Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise." This dish makes regular appearances at Lutheran potluck suppers in small towns.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I don't understand why putting together basic everyday ingredients in a bowl creates a new salad.

I will try to explain:

BECAUSE IT DOES.

Steven, let me have this one!

Let’s see, I trained for five years in four countries at a large personal cost after I left University. Let me see, does it matter...throwing ingredients in a bowl.

Yes, it is all about the ingredients in the bowl. It really does come down to the mixing of specific products in very specific amount that makes the whole! That’s what makes the food that chefs do better then what you do at home. We know how to 'throw' togeather a bunch of different products and it comes out a great creation!!!

As Escoffier spent his life developing, the recipe is the key to all food.

And to be more specific, you want to eat a great Cobb Salad, 'a bunch of food thrown togeather in a bowl', go to the Palm restaurant and pay the $25us at lunch and you will eat something that is truly great!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I will try to explain:

BECAUSE IT DOES.

The closest dictionary to my hand defines salad as:

1 a : green vegetables (as lettuce, endive, or romaine) and often tomatoes, cucumbers, or radishes served with dressing OR b : a dish of meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, fruits, or vegetables singly or in combination usually served cold with a dressing

2 : a green vegetable or herb grown for salad; especially lettuce

3 : a usually incongruous mixture

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"