• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

I tried a new(ish) flavour of Koala's March - honey & milk. So yummy! The honey flavour came through surprisingly well. I'd definitely buy it again - right now I'm trying to savour them slowly though. One other great thing about them is that they're made in Japan. There's a newer flavour on their website, but I can't tell what it is...

There's a newer flavour on their website, but I can't tell what it is...

I can tell what it is. Cream puff flavor (oh, sorry, flavour :biggrin: ).

Top row:

Chocolate, strawberry & milk, cream puff flavor

Middle:

Honey milk, strawberry & milk (handy pack), familiy pack

Bottom:

Regional, available in only the Chugoku and Shikoku regions, 4 packs in series (strawberry (& milk?) and chocolate)

Kristin, I've never seen these before.  Are they pure chocolate or chocolate-coated cookies?

...as she nibbles on another one... :biggrin:

pure chocolate!

I am not sure if it is because I am keeping them in a cold place or what, but they they have this almost toffee like crunch to them. however when I look there is nothing in there. :unsure:

you may want to ignore this post as it could possibly be a chocolate induced high

this is their original flavor

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...

Grape flavored Kit Kat

gallery_6134_2590_46002.jpg

I just found this, it says it was a fall/winter seasonal product. It seems to only be available in the bags (with individual packages). I like it, it was like eating a Kit kat and drinking a grape Fanta at the same time. :biggrin:

I just found this new version of Sasha, green tea and chocolate.

This was incredible, this was the best matcha-chocolate combination I have had.

gallery_6134_1960_34368.jpg

I finally picked up a box of these. I loved the green tea flavour. But I didn't care so much for the actual chocolate. It's not so much the chocolate's fault, it's because I don't like plain chocolate--I prefer chocolate with nuts, caramel, or something crunchy in it. I think these would have been great as a chocolate covered digestive cookies. (I've been eating a lot of McVitie's Green Tea cookies--I really love those!

I've never seen the grape flavoured KitKat!! I saw the blueberry ones sold earlier this year, and I think I saw some banana ones. I didn't try either. I'm still pissed that they didn't bring back Matcha KitKats this year! I loved those!

Somewhere, someone mentioned McVitie's apple cookies, and I was excited but sad at the same time because we basically only have normal McVitie's and chocolate-covered McVitie's (which are still very good, mind you). I did find green tea ones at one of my favourite Japanese candy stores though, and tried those. I wish they came in a bigger pack though! And I thought they would be enrobed in matcha coating, not come as mini matcha-creme sandwiches.

And then... I found the apple McVitie's!! They were sandwich cookies (which I wasn't expecting), but they were so good!! There's a bit of chewy apple jelly in the middle too. :wub:

New (I think) to the All Raisin series

these were really good, but I love anything they put out....

Amen to that! I've always thought that the All Raisin biscuits were superb. Just the right amount of (natural) sweetness and the chewiness is the best.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

And then... I found the apple McVitie's!!  They were sandwich cookies (which I wasn't expecting), but they were so good!!  There's a bit of chewy apple jelly in the middle too.  :wub:

Mmmm! I love chewy apple-flavoured things! I'll have to pick some up next time I go to the grocery store. They have lemon ones, too, but I haven't tried them, yet. I'm still addicted to the matcha ones (and I wish they came in a bigger bag, too!).

• 2 weeks later...

^ That's weird, because I tried the 72% cacao blackcurrant (also made by Meiji, but in a fancy purple & gold trim box) and thought it was quite good! I don't remember what type of chocolate it was though. There's was also a plain 72% cacao one, that was in a green & gold trim box.

^ That's weird, because I tried the 72% cacao blackcurrant (also made by Meiji, but in a fancy purple & gold trim box) and thought it was quite good!  I don't remember what type of chocolate it was though.  There's was also a plain 72% cacao one, that was in a green & gold trim box

I saw this one in the store yesterday, it was almost 3 times more expensive than the one I bought. There is a very good chance it tasted much better. :biggrin:

Cassis seems to be the flavor of the moment, I found tehse yesterday but didn't really care for them...

gallery_6134_2590_20640.jpg

I forgot to add that I also found a new hi-chew flavor, American cherry!

It wasn't bad but I was hoping for it to be a little more exciting.

I want the lime one back...... :angry:

two recent Pocky purchases

mont blanc flavor and almond crush, both very good

I seem to have seen these before... The mont blanc one looks like it's in fancier packaging now though.

I tried the Rich Fran matcha with macadamia nuts, and liked it much better than the Pocky Mousse matcha flavour. Although the macadamia nuts didn't add much to the flavour (I would've preferred a crunchier nut like almond or hazelnut), the matcha flavour was much more pronounced. Actually, I prefer normal Pocky to Mousse Pocky, and Rich Fran to Mousse Pocky. The Fran biscuit stick is crunchier (and chocolate-flavoured, at least for the flavour I tried), and the chocolate not as soft, melty & sweet as Mousse Pocky chocolate.

I've seen the mont blanc flavour in the supermarket aisles but, for the life of me, can't figure out what that's supposed to taste like. What is mont blanc flavour, anyway?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I've seen the mont blanc flavour in the supermarket aisles but, for the life of me, can't figure out what that's supposed to taste like.  What is mont blanc flavour, anyway?

In Japan, a mont blanc is a French-style pastry whose basic components are sponge cake, whipped cream and a cream made from chestnut paste. The main flavor component is chestnut paste. It is wildly popular in Japan.

I've seen the mont blanc flavour in the supermarket aisles but, for the life of me, can't figure out what that's supposed to taste like.  What is mont blanc flavour, anyway?

In Japan, a mont blanc is a French-style pastry whose basic components are sponge cake, whipped cream and a cream made from chestnut paste. The main flavor component is chestnut paste. It is a wildly popular pastry in Japan.

Ah, now I see the light. Thanks for that! I'll have to give it a try. :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

In Japan, a mont blanc is a French-style pastry whose basic components are sponge cake, whipped cream and a cream made from chestnut paste. The main flavor component is chestnut paste. It is a wildly popular pastry in Japan.

Ah, now I see the light. Thanks for that! I'll have to give it a try. :smile:

Are you suggesting that mon blanc is entirely Japanese? :blink: I thought there were similar cakes in France.

Cheap ones use a piece of sponge cake as the base, as sanrensho mentioned, but expensive ones use baked meringue as the base.

Here is one recipe, if anyone is interested:

http://www.tbs.co.jp/chubaw/en/rec20011103.html

Are you suggesting that mon blanc is entirely Japanese? :blink:  I thought there were similar cakes in France.

I don't have a definitive answer about what constitutes a "true" French mont blanc pastry. But, no, I don't think it's an entirely Japanese invention.

I'm just saying that Glico's Mont Blanc Pocky is styled after the common Japanese version of the mont blanc, which is typically a sponge cake/whipped cream/chestnut paste cream confection.

I personally never had the version with meringue when I was in Japan. Perhaps my tastes weren't expensive enough :wacko:, or the style of preparing a mont blanc has shifted toward the use of meringue.