• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

The new Gourmet Tour Vietnam series from Frito Lay

gallery_6134_1857_10416.jpg

a fresh spring roll flavored corn snack

beef and red chile stir fry flavored tortilla chips

pho flavored popcorn

I haven't tried the first one yet but the beef and chile chips were ok, but I wouldn't buy them again. The pho popcorn was just gross....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

gallery_6134_119_3560.jpg

I am pretty sure we discussed this one before, but these Fran are really good:

matcha (green tea) with chocolate. Another 100 yen shop find.

Anyone try the new premium KitKats? I saw two flavours: Noir (bittersweet, I think) and Wine. They're mini-KitKats in bigger boxes--about the size of Melty Kiss boxes--and run for Y288 a box. I'm on a tight budget this month, but I may have to spring for a couple!

Edited to add: I saw on the boxes that these particular KitKats are designed (?!??!) by the same patissier that did the Passion Fruit one. I wonder if they'll be putting out a couple of new flavours every year?

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Anyone try the new premium KitKats?  I saw two flavours:  Noir (bittersweet, I think) and Wine.  They're mini-KitKats in bigger boxes--about the size of Melty Kiss boxes--and run for Y288 a box.  I'm on a tight budget this month, but I may have to spring for a couple!

Edited to add:  I saw on the boxes that these particular KitKats are designed (?!??!) by the same patissier that did the Passion Fruit one.  I wonder if they'll be putting out a couple of new flavours every year?

Yeah I saw those in the store the other day. I am not a fan of either wine or bitter chocolate so I passed them by. Let us know how they are if you do pick them up.

Morinaga has taken their caramels and made a cookie out of them! These were quite good AND I found them in the 100 yen shop. :biggrin:

gallery_6134_119_8224.jpg

I love these! I wish they were cheaper here though... almost $4 Canadian sometimes (approx. 391 yen! :sad: ) I was surprised that the caramel part in the middle wasn't too sweet, & the cookies have just the right amount of caramel in the middle so when you bite into the cookie, there's a nice little crunch :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
I picked up the newest hi chew yesterday, lime flavor.

This is my favorite one to date, wonderful flavor!!

I can't find lime hi-chew anywhere anymore!! :angry:

My daughter picked up the new one, dekopon (a kind of citrus), that is quite good but I am still craving the lime one...

gallery_6134_1960_30840.jpg

The fruit on the dekopon wrapper looks a lot like a tangelo.

They are pretty closely related. A dekopon is a cross between a ponkan and a kiyomi mikan and is one of the newer citrus fruits on the market here. It is called a dekopon because it has a ryuuki or deko (protrusion) and the pon is from the ponkan. This is a speciality of Kumamoto

• 5 weeks later...

I just got back from Hong Kong..... I love the "Okashi Land" store over there.... all imported Japanese snacks, and they sell 5-packs of Melty Kiss!!!

I still cant find the Matcha Melty Kiss in the US (we have chocolate and almond flavors only :angry: ), but I can buy the 5-pack when I go to HK :biggrin:

But I also found.... Strawberry Melty Kiss!!!! So good!

gallery_24165_402_1840.jpg

Also, I found a few more fun things I havent seen in the US yet....

Kinako Pocky - this is great stuff.... i love the flavor of Kinako, and this is just right!!!

gallery_24165_402_29495.jpg

Also, I found this Daigaku Imo Pucca... I havent tried it yet though.

gallery_24165_402_9424.jpg

Another try was this chestnut-flavored Fran...not so great if you want a good chestnut flavor though. I much prefer the berry Fran.

gallery_24165_402_18538.jpg

Kiem Hwa sounds like it was a good trip! :biggrin:

I haven't even noticed the strawberry melty kiss, I need to look for those. I didn't try the chestnut flan because the fake chestnut flavor always dissapoints me.

I was at the local drug store yesterday and noticed a lot of the snack companies are now putting out Christmas packagings for their snacks.I picked up the caramel corn because I thought it was cute (it was also 30 yen or $.25) cheaper than the regular version....

gallery_6134_1960_5723.jpg

I am addicted to Hichew. I found Pear flavored hichew in Fukushima-ken on my camping trip to Bandai-san. (The horse meat up there is amazing) Someone mentioned Coolish a couple of posts back, the vanilla and chocolate flavors are really nice, but the peach and strawberry are really disappointing. I haven't tried the cappucino or other flavors yet. Some of my favorite snacks are Choco-corn (チョコ コーン), dried squid jerky with a dip made of mayo and shichimi, Takoyaki, and (I forgot what the brand name is but they sell them in 7/11 and some grocery stores) the little box filled with bite size ice cream balls. This summer they had mixed fruit flavor and macha flavor, and now they have cafe au lait flavor. Has anyone else tried them?

I go to the University of Washington, which has a pretty big percentage of Japanese students, so we get a lot of Japanese candies in the "convenience stores" on campus. We just got the soy bean and black sesame pockys a few days ago, and they're really good! I haven't even seen them at Uwajimaya, which is a pretty big Japanese grocery store here in Seattle, so that's saying something. One of my favorite things we have here are these little Cheeto shaped chocolate puffs, half dipped in chocolate. They taste just like... well, chocolate Cheetos. But in a good way. :raz:

Edited by jkonick (log)

I am addicted to Hichew.  I found Pear flavored hichew in Fukushima-ken on my camping trip to Bandai-san.

Pear? that is a first... was is ASian pear (nashi) or western pear (yonashi)?

and by the way welcome to eGullet and the Japan forum!! :biggrin:

Rona,

I am still looking for the lime ones, the hi chew selection has been really bad recently only yogurt (eewww), green apple (bigger eeewww), and strawberry (boring).

I went to my stash of hichew and all I had was lychee and green apple. unfortunately I have already finished off all of my pear and I don't remember if it was western or Japanese pear. It was good though and next time I find myself in Fukushima I will pick up a couple of packs and report back. I finished off the green apple and haven't started on the lychee yet, but I have had it before and it was pretty good.

Thanks for the welcome. This is a great place for ideas, in fact, as soon as I get off my couch, I am going into the kitchen and trying to make torakris' niku jyaga. I bought all the ingredients the other day.

Edited by fenyx66 (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love this new (?) honey mustard flavour! I started seeing this on shelves here in Canada a few months ago - it's one of my favourite flavours.

pretz.jpg

Strangely, I don't really like mustard but I love mustard-flavoured snacks (Pretz, pretzels, & Kettle Chips).

I miss the green pea & shrimp Pretz flavours though :sad: Even the texture of the biscuit was different - crispier & lighter.