• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

They're called "suzu-kasutera" or bell-shaped sponge cakes.

these are my sister's favorite Japanese snack! I always buy here a couple bags when I go back to the US...

An update on the new caramel corn flavors as I finally tasted them:

neither is worth spending your money on :hmmm:

teh vanilla ice cream wasn7t bad at first but it was so overly sweet I couldn't eat more than 3. The Mango pudding ones looked exactly like cheese puffs (the color was the same) so it was weird to eat them and have them taste sweet. They tasted nothing like mango pudding tough, I am not even sure what they did taste like, it was like nothing I have ever tasted before.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried these on the weekend:

31885709_db56633d52_o.jpg31885443_1ef59bce36_o.jpg

I was very impressed with the shrimp & salt one, as it doesn't have any of that biscuit taste & texture of regular Pretz. It's basically a shrimp cracker shaped like Pretz.

The edamame one is yummy as well, also not biscuit-like in taste or texture. Crispy, & it really tastes like edamame! The English ingredients list green peas.

Today I saw some maple butter (I think that was it) flavored pocky at Uwajimaya in Seattle. It had a picture of a pancake with maple syrup on the front... Has anyone had these? I've never seen thembefore. Unfortunately I didn't pick any up, I'll have to do that next  time I'm there.

those sound really good, I have never seen maple flavored ones before...

you MUST buy them and report back!

and welcome to eGullet!! :biggrin:

I tried these on the weekend:

31885709_db56633d52_o.jpg31885443_1ef59bce36_o.jpg

I was very impressed with the shrimp & salt one, as it doesn't have any of that biscuit taste & texture of regular Pretz.  It's basically a shrimp cracker shaped like Pretz.

The edamame one is yummy as well, also not biscuit-like in taste or texture.  Crispy, & it really tastes like edamame!  The English ingredients list green peas.

those both look great, the ebi-shio ones in particular

I think I will be heading to the store today...

Today I saw some maple butter (I think that was it) flavored pocky at Uwajimaya in Seattle. It had a picture of a pancake with maple syrup on the front... Has anyone had these? I've never seen thembefore. Unfortunately I didn't pick any up, I'll have to do that next  time I'm there.

Could it have been Pretz rather than Pocky? I tried maple butter Pretz early this year. It was good and I'd buy it again but I haven't seen it since- I think it was a seasonal item.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Could it have been Pretz rather than Pocky? I tried maple butter Pretz early this year. It was good and I'd buy it again but I haven't seen it since- I think it was a seasonal item.

Ahh, I think you're right. Either way I'll have to go back and check it out. It's definitely not something that Uwajimaya carries all the time, it was on display as a "special," so it's probably seasonal. Better act on it quick!

And torakris - thanks for the welcome!

Ahh, I think you're right. Either way I'll have to go back and check it out. It's definitely not something that Uwajimaya carries all the time, it was on display as a "special," so it's probably seasonal. Better act on it quick!

And torakris - thanks for the welcome!

Was it something like this?

http://www.ezaki-glico.net/pretz/maple.html

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading the newspaper and saw a small announcement on the newest Kit Kat.

White maple flavor, a apparently a combination of white chocolate and maple syrup. It goes on sale tomorrow (9/12).

I will have to go look for that along with the kinako Pocky that I saw advertised earlier this week. :biggrin:

Were they maple/butter pretz? They are my favourite! It has the perfect butter to maple syrup flavour ratio. If you like pancakes, you will loves these little sticks from heaven :biggrin:

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

:raz::raz::raz:

gallery_6134_1003_8968.jpg

The kinako (roasted soy bean powder) Pocky seem to be part of a new series of 5 grain blends Pocky...

If you love kinako you will love these, I must hide this package from the children!

The kit kat was really disappointing, I really despise white chocolate but thought that the maple might help. Unfortunately there is almost no maple flavor. I even nibbled off all of the coating to see if the maple flavor was sandwiched inbetween the layers and still couldn't find it.

is it me or does there seem to be a bit of a maple boom going on right now?? i have a homestay student from italy at the moment and she has been indulging in all the conbini treats so i am getting an education on what is "hot" for snacks :biggrin: her latest purchase was macadamia and maple flavoured "takenoko". they are very sweet and have a distinct maple flavour.

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the McVitie's green tea digestive biscuits?  My oh my, I love them!  I love McVitie's, anyway, but the green tea cream filling is really scrumptious, as well!  I wonder if they have these in Britain, too.

They have green tea ones??

I just discovered McVitie's last week at my local drug store....

I had the regular milk chocolate and the bitter ones (with a chocolate cookie) and wow were they good, I hid them from the kids.. :shock::biggrin:

I have to look for the matcha ones, they weren't at the store last week or I would definitely gotten them.

They have green tea ones??

I just discovered McVitie's last week at my local drug store....

I had the regular milk chocolate and the bitter ones (with a chocolate cookie) and wow were they good, I hid them from the kids.. :shock:  :biggrin:

I have to look for the matcha ones, they weren't at the store last week or I would definitely gotten them.

I've only seen the green tea ones at Asna (I don't know if they have Asna in the Kanto area, but in Kansai it's a combini usually located in Hankyu train stations). The bag didn't say "New" or anything, so I don't know how long they've been around. I looked for them at Daiei yesterday, but they only had regular, bitter, apple, and a chunky kind (mostly chocolate, but it might have nuts, too. I didn't really look). If I could remember where I put my smartcard reader, I'd post a picture of the bag (I kept it, because I loved it so much...). It's green, and the cookies on the bag don't look very delicious. But I really liked them. The bag does say it's made with Uji Matcha, so maybe that's why they taste so good? :rolleyes:

I lived on McVitie's when I was in Morocco. McVitie's and the cow cheese (the processed stuff that comes in triangles). I can barely even look at the cow cheese now, but I still love McVitie's!

Were they maple/butter pretz? They are my favourite! It has the perfect butter to maple syrup flavour ratio. If you like pancakes, you will loves these little sticks from heaven :biggrin:

Cracked my first package of Maple Butter Pretz a few days ago and have been hiding my stash away from my husband and son ever since. These are fantastic! As you said, they have the perfect butter to maple-syrup flavour ratio. I also love the fact that the pretzel sticks are round as opposed to flat, giving me more surface area on my tongue to enjoy the taste. :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My sister recently brought me all kinds of goodies from Japan....unfortunatley almost everything I opened so far was melted, but......

I finally got to try the Passionfruit Kitkat....yum!!!!

I also got these: Kinoko no Yama (mushroom mountain :blink: ): Azuki-Milk flavor, Uji-Kintoki flavor, and Cheesecake flavor Takenoko-no-sato (Bamboo shoot village :blink: ). I only tried the Kinotoki one, and it was pretty melted so no mushrooms on sticks, more like scatted chocolate blobs and some sticks, so I cant really comment on how much I liked it :angry: .

Also, delicious (but melted, so lacking the texture it is supposed to have): Passionfruit Porute!!

KinokoNoYama.jpg

Edited by Kiem Hwa (log)