• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods-- Okashi

torakris

It looks like a kind of steamed cake formed into the shape of an omelet, based on the descriptive text.

It falls into a category of foods once known in royal European banquets as the "deception." They used to generally be savory pies shaped like fish or whatever, but most contemporary deceptions are sweets.

In Europe such deceptions are popular with children, like "spaghetti" ice cream with strawberry sauce (I always wanted to make that with some chestnut ice cream and kuromitsu and call it "soba ice"), and eggs with apricot yolks and vanilla ice cream.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

It looks like a kind of steamed cake formed into the shape of an omelet, based on the descriptive text.

It falls into a category of foods once known in royal European banquets as the "deception." They used to generally be savory pies shaped like fish or whatever, but most contemporary deceptions are sweets.

In Europe such deceptions are popular with children, like "spaghetti" ice cream with strawberry sauce (I always wanted to make that with some chestnut ice cream and kuromitsu and call it "soba ice"), and eggs with apricot yolks and vanilla ice cream.

Like that Surreal Gourmet dude on Food Tv?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Okay I bought these two things yesterday....

Can anyone tell me what the omelet thing exactly IS?

Does it have creme in it?

Does it even have eggs in it? The English ingredients dont list eggs but those things are notoriously wrong...

42xte6t.jpg

47b2k2u.jpg

I think that's a product of Sun Lavieen (Japanese only). According to their site, the "omelet" is made with fresh eggs, and contains cream filled with strawberry flesh.

Actually, it's quite similar to what we call "mushi pan" (steamed bun).

I ate the Strawberry Omelet...

It WAS cake with strawberry cream inside.

It was YUMMY! No fakey taste at all...

The Matcha Melonpan? I put it in the oven to crisp up the topping and the house filled up with a wet dog smell...

I did not taste it, needless to say.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

im rather fond of cola qun these days.  pick up a pack (okay two) when i drop by the market.

its actually not just cola.  its cola with lemon center.

fucking good stuff

Cola qun? Is it a snack, a sweet bun, or what? :huh:
i think i should have posted this under candy thread... oh well. maybe kristin can move it. but anyway, <a href="http://www.meiji.co.jp/catalog/sweets/candy/qun_cola/index.html">qun</a> (<-- link to meiji's site) is a candy... gummy with flavoured liquid sugar stuff.
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

bought some "baked chicken" flavoured pretz today.......boring.

They basically taste like a pocky biscuit doused with chicken bouillon, so they are incredibly salty. I love "meat" flavoured snacks and thought I'd give this a go. Thank goodness it was only $0.89 which is a steal considering it is an import product.

Ive been on a matcha kick lately and noticed that my favourite matca mousse pocky is in completely different packaging. It seems like every few weeks I go to the store, the stuff comes in a different box. I looked for the matcha flavoured kit kats that were mentioned previously and I couldn't find them. Matcha flavoured collon "biscuit rolls" are pretty good as well. Any other suggestions for great matcha flavoured snacks?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I was hoping you wouldn't ask...... :blink:

The actual mix of various things doesn't seem to have have a name (or at least one my husband and I know), we just buy packs of them and the name is different depending on the maker.

One is simply called almond-fish, this is a mix of almonds and fish, another one by the maker Bourbon is called Aji Gokomi (or something like that).

The fish also seem to go by what ever the maker calls them. My husband likes to eat the niboshi that are used in stock making, but these are not normally eaten out of te bag.....

Ones I buy specifically for eating are usually called taberu niboshi (I guess that could be translated as niboshi for eating), I have seen other names but can't recall any of them now. I will pay more attention on my next trip to the supermarket. :biggrin:

Aji Gonomi by Bourbon.They are my favourite.I love the sweetened niboshi inside the packet.

Dried and seasoned ika.  Dried and seasoned fugu.

I like to snack on almost any dried seafood with a hot cup of ocha. 

There is one type of rice cracker I really like.  They are just plain puffed rice crackers with salt and dried beans, no other real seasonings.   

"Milky" is my favorite candy.  My cousin told me joke about milky but i don't think this forum would be the proper place to share...

I love chewing on some dried seasoned ika too

bought some "baked chicken" flavoured pretz today.......boring.

They basically taste like a pocky biscuit doused with chicken bouillon, so they are incredibly salty.  I love "meat" flavoured snacks and thought I'd give this a go.  Thank goodness it was only $0.89 which is a steal considering it is an import product. 

Ive been on a matcha kick lately and noticed that my favourite matca mousse pocky is in completely different packaging.  It seems like every few weeks I go to the store, the stuff comes in a different box.  I looked for the matcha flavoured kit kats that were mentioned previously and I couldn't find them.  Matcha flavoured collon "biscuit rolls" are pretty good as well.  Any other suggestions for great matcha flavoured snacks?

I saw those Pretz too - I guess I won't need to try them anymore!

And about matcha snacks, YES, I definitely have a favourite right now: these Morinaga koeda - dark chocolate on the outside, matcha filling & rice krispies inside. Really nice matcha flavour. My eyes lit up when I tasted these. :wub: Hopefully you'll be able to find them there! Also, Morinaga makes this really great matcha caramel that's really good. I can't find a link to a picture of them for some reason but here's a link to the other flavours. The box looks the same except it's green.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got some French toast Pretz and milky caramel (?) Koala no march (top row at the very right) last time at the candy store, but haven't tried either yet. I'll post an update as soon as I try them. I also saw the chestnut Koala no march, but they were made in China, so I quickly passed on those.

Also, my friend recently returned from Hawaii with special Hawaii Pretz, Koala no march, and Baby Star ramen noodles. The Pretz were pineapple flavour and really good - I looked at the ingredients and it contains pineapple juice. Unfortunately, I tried the Koala no march after the Pretz, and they were pretty bad in comparison. Also pineapple-flavoured, the cookies had a REALLY fake flavour, and almost tasted... oily. :blink: A scrutiny of the label confirmed my suspicions: yep, made in China. The Baby star noodles was "tropical curry with mixed macadamia nuts" flavour, and was ok, but I couldn't taste the "tropical" part of the curry. The nuts were starting to turn rancid :sad: I'm really sensitive to rancid tastes though, so other people might not notice. The Pretz were quite yummy and I would totally buy them if they sold them here.

I'm still looking out for those caramel apple Pucchos, but no luck yet :sad:

I got some French toast Pretz and milky caramel (?) Koala no march (top row at the very right) last time at the candy store, but haven't tried either yet. 

Have you tried Koala yet?

コアラのマーチ<キャラメルミルク>

センター部分はキャラメルのアクセントが効いたミルク風味のホワイトチョコがタップリ。

It says:

Koala no march <Caramel milk>

It's filled with milk-flavored white chocolate with a caramel accent.

^ I just tried the koala - pretty good! The caramel flavour is stronger than I thought it would be, which is a good thing. The biscuit isn't as dark as it looks on the box, but you can taste the chocolate flavour when you eat the biscuit by itself.

I just opened the french toast Pretz, and it smells very maple-syrupy. They just taste sweet though - sweet and buttery. Only a tiny hint of maple syrup flavour coming through... They're nice & crisp though.

Those strawberry tarts look really good! Is the cookie crisp, buttery (like shortbread), or flaky?

^ I just tried the koala - pretty good!  The caramel flavour is stronger than I thought it would be, which is a good thing.  The biscuit isn't as dark as it looks on the box, but you can taste the chocolate flavour when you eat the biscuit by itself.

I just opened the french toast Pretz, and it smells very maple-syrupy.  They just taste sweet though - sweet and buttery.  Only a tiny hint of maple syrup flavour coming through...  They're nice & crisp though.

Those strawberry tarts look really good!  Is the cookie crisp, buttery (like shortbread), or flaky?

It's crisp! But it's fresh-tasting strawberry jam that we like the most.

^And it looks as good as the picture on the box!

I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but I got some Morinaga cookies from one of the konbiniyas here, and really liked the "Well" cookies (I don't have the box, I'm just reading off the cookie wrapper. They are langue du chat cookies and have 2 flavours: one half of the box were vanilla sandwich cookies with chocolate icing in the middle, the other half were chocolate sandwich cookies with vanilla icing in the middle. The vanilla cookies were a nice golden brown, and not too sweet.

This is a fall product from Nestle called Crispy Monogatari in a chestnut flavor. I cut off the top of the box but it says it is Kit Kat that has lost it's chocolate covering.

At first bite I was disappointed because I think the chocolate is what makes a Kit Kat, but by the second stick I started to enjoy it for what it was and it did have a nice flavor even though it was many months old.

I found the packs on a sale rack at a discount store for 58 yen ($.48).....

gallery_6134_4148_324030.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"