• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods--nimono

torakris

How shall I put it? It's NOT DIFFICULT to perfect nimono. It's IMPOSSIBLE to perfect it. No point in trying to perfect it when there is no clear goal. But, torakris seems to have perfected it now that she has a clear goal, the words "really wonderful" from her loved one.

I'd like to write more about this topic when I have time.

Or, is there a clear goal?

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

I think one of the reasons why nimono can be so difficult for non-Japanese, is that often the goal you are trying to reach is that of ofukuro no aji or mother's taste. My mother has never made nimono in her life and thus I have nothing to "reach" for, nimono (outside of izakayas) isn't a common food in restaurants, you don't even know what is good nimono and what is bad nimono. Of course that is all relative as everyone has different likes and dislikes, I like my nimono heavier on the soy than say a person from Kansai might prepare it.

What one person might consider great another person may consider unseasoned/over seasoned, etc, that was why when my husband said how wonderful my nimono was it was like I had finally nailed it on the head and discovered the flavor that hopefully my daughters will try to search for... :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Yup, I agree that it takes a while to decide how you WANT your nimono to taste! I'm on the opposite side from Torakris, I spent my first years in Japan in Osaka, with a mother-in-law who was a young girl during WWII, when shortages of sugar and soy sauce accustomed her to even less seasoning than Kansai people usually like!

Recently I've been using mirin rather than sugar for many things. I think it gives a less cloying finish (maybe...).

Favorites:

Any kind of green bean nimono, especially age-ni (deep fried and dropped hot into the seasonings and simmered a little to take some of the oil out).

Nasubi "inaka-ni" styles. I'm willing to spend ages crosshatching them. This is another great candidate for age-ni, because the frying sets the purple color of the nasubi which is usually lost.

Kabocha - in a magazine years ago I read about putting your chunks of kabocha in a pot, sprinkling with sugar (fairly generously) and then LEAVING till next day. The kabocha gives off lots of water, and simmered on a very low heat (this does burn easily) you get a fuill-flavored kabocha that is not mushy.

Sweet potatoes simmered with lemon.

Hijiki - I think our family likes every type of hijiki nimono that has ever been invented! A friend sometimes brings long, glossy black dried hijiki from her hometown on the east of the Boso Peninsula...almost a crime to eat it.

Mother-in-law was delighted that a friend had dropped off a hometown delicacy for her -- "dongoi". Known elsewhere in Japan as "itadori", these are the peeled tender runners of Polygonum cuspidatum, which is an invasive weed in the US, I believe. Unlike most wild food, this was only mildly chewy, a bit more "doughy" than a green bean.

And Torakris...just two words....buri daikon...

I think one of the reasons why nimono can be so difficult for non-Japanese, is that often the goal you are trying to reach is that of ofukuro no aji or mother's taste. My mother has never made nimono in her life and thus I have nothing to "reach" for, nimono (outside of izakayas) isn't a common food in restaurants, you don't even know what is good nimono and what is bad nimono. Of course that is all relative as everyone has different likes and dislikes, I like my nimono heavier on the soy than say a person from Kansai might prepare it.

What one person might consider great another person may consider unseasoned/over seasoned, etc, that was why when my husband said how wonderful my nimono was it was like I had finally nailed it on the head and discovered the flavor that hopefully my daughters will try to search for... :biggrin:

Kristin, you put it really well.

There are so many kinds of nimono that I love to cook but have never actually tried anywhere else. I still have hits and misses, and although sometimes it's just lack of skill, more often than not I just don't example to compare it to.

For me as well, the 'goal' is to cook nimono that my husband loves. And he's SO picky too, so it's not easy. (Luckily, he is very gracious and will happily eat everything I cook, even if it isn't the 'right' flavour.)

Helen, can you tell us a little bit more about your pumpkin? I usually end up with soft or broken simmered pumpkin.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 4 months later...

I have been on a nimono rampage!

Last night we had a beef and baby bok choy shigure-ni.

Shigure refers to autumn rains and this simmered dish made with ginger, soy mirin and sugar reminds one of the dark color of autumn rains.

i12072.jpg

I was very, very lucky yesterday and my cousin showed up at my house with a nice sized katsuo he had caught earlier in the day in Tokyo Bay. I got home too late from work to prepare it tataki style for that night's dinner, so nimono was a perfect way to use it. Simply fileted it and simmered with shouyu, sake, dashi, and sugar, along with daikon and shouga to ease the smell. Very easy and turned out very well.

I still had a beautiful head (with plenty of kama meat attached) and a backbone with lots of meat between the bones. Fried up some ginger and garlic and red curry paste in coconut cream, until the cream cracked, then added onions, fish, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, coconut milk, water, banana, and many shishito. Simmered until tender and stirred in a little fish sauce. Not entirely authentic Thai (as I had to make do with what was in the cupboard when the fish made its unexpected but welcome appearance), but made a great dinner tonight and met with the approval of our Filipina nanny.

I'm going fishing on Saturday and sure hope there will be more.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

• 2 months later...

my most recent nimono :biggrin:

gomokumame

gallery_6134_91_1100818950.jpg

this is soybeans with 5 flavors (五目豆), however I guess mine should be called sanmokumame, since I only had 3 additional flavors..... :blink:

I added carrots, renkon (lotus root) and konbu, other additions could include shiitake, gobo and konnyaku.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I usually rough peel it for nimono, but Hiromi doesn't peel it at all. In the version that I made, I felt the skin was a bit thicker than normal so I peeled it completely.

If the peel is relatively soft, I like it left on, or mostly on, for nimono.

Jason,

Do you prefer you kabocha peeled?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I made 'satoimo no nikkorogashi' (or nikorogashi) for last night's supper, using 30+ taro potatoes.

Nikkorogashi in the making:

gallery_16375_5_30126.jpg

If you ever fall in love with a Japanese man and you want to impress him with your cooking skills, DO make niku jaga and satoimo no nikkorogashi. He will love you for them. :biggrin:

two of my favorite nimono

aburage (tofu pockets) and hakusai (Chinese cabbage) simmered with ginger

gallery_6134_1960_5790.jpg

satsumaimo simmered with lemon

gallery_6134_1960_11218.jpg

they both taste much better than they look...

• 3 weeks later...

saba no miso-ni

mackeral simmered in miso

the stick things are gobo (burdock root)

gallery_6134_1960_10758.jpg

It was much prettier in person (the color is off) and the photo would have looked better plated, but.....

I cut the saba into small pieces so it is easier for the kids to eat, normally the pieces are much larger.

This is probably one of my favorite dishes and it is also one all 3 kids really like.

• 3 weeks later...

Not the prettiest dish but it sure tastes good. :biggrin:

Sanma (saury pike) simmered for almost an hour so that the bones become so soft that you can eat them.

gallery_6134_1960_35258.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had some thinly sliced beef so today I made niku jaga for the first time using Kris' recipe more or less. I used only 1 tablespoon sugar and it tasted just right to me.

It is soooo good! Such a simple thing but tastes wonderful.

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

I had some thinly sliced beef so today I made niku jaga for the first time using Kris' recipe more or less. I used only 1 tablespoon sugar and it tasted just right to me.

I checked her recipe and found it called for beef...

I'm a Kanto man, born and bred in Tokyo. For me, niku-jaga is supposed to be made with pork, not beef! :biggrin:

I'm a Kanto man, born and bred in Tokyo. For me, niku-jaga is supposed to be made with pork, not beef! :biggrin:

How about that? I have several recipes and none of them call for pork so now I have learned something new. I'll have to try it with pork.

I made satoimo nikkorogashi last night. My satoimo started to split a little bit as they cooked, is this normal? How far are you supposed to reduce the liquid? Even if I made a few mistakes making it this time they were really tasty and I have a bunch left over. Great easy dish!

How about that? I have several recipes and none of them call for pork so now I have learned something new. I'll have to try it with pork.

I made it with pork once but actually prefer it with beef. :biggrin:

I made it last night, with beef!! It was gone before you could blink your eye, kids really love it.