• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weird or Icky School Lunches

PB & Cheddar (cracker barrel white) on crackers was a favorite snack for me years ago. I'd probably make a couple right now only there's no cheddar or peanut butter in the house, and the only crackers are in an unopened box with a best by date of 08/12/15.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

I considered this icky at the time and I still do.  My mom would combine finely grated Swiss cheese, chopped ripe olives and mayo and spread the gunk on Barbara Ann bread.  I hated the bread as well.  Buses used to have big ads for the bread with a huge colored drawing of Barbara Ann.  One of m grandmothers, the odd ball one,  got it though her head that I was the spitting image of the bread moppet.  The only thing we had in common was being a small  female and wearing horrible floppy hair bows.  God how I hated those things.  She loved to ask other bus riders if they didn't agree that I was as cute as the bread kid.  Trust me, I wasn't by a long shot.  

• Like 2

Ah, school lunches. Our schools served a strange mix of pretty good lunches and absolutely disgusting ones. You ALWAYS ate in the cafeteria on chili and cinnamon roll day (as did half the town; non-school-kids or non-teachers paid a higher price) for that. You NEVER ate in the cafeteria when it was Salisbury steak, aka "mystery meat," ham, or fish. Vegetable soup was a toss-up; they DID serve those massive peanut-butter cookies for dessert that day.

So we carried lunches the rest of the time. Mine were always on white bread (Sunbeam, best I recall), and ranged from peanut-butter-and-jelly to packaged ham, turkey or roast beef, with the occasional tuna or chicken salad. Sometimes in the winter it would be a thermos of stew or chili or soup. Generally an apple, maybe a cookie or two or a candy bar.

There were lunch boxes, but it was much more "cool" to carry your lunch in a brown paper bag.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com