• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where should i go to dinner

tommy

Hooters

i went last week. well, it was Bazooka's actually. horrible wings. although it had to be one of the cheapest places on the planet. 20 wings and 6 beers came to about 10 dollars. my friends and i looked at each other with disbelief and giggled all the way to the parking lot.

Johnnie Rockets

i'm not totally convinced that i like the place. plus, they don't serve wine, and i'd feel pretty silly BYO'ing to johnny rockets. and too many damned kids.

but keep those suggestions coming, awbrig. you're helping me narrow this down. :blink:

Go to the North Korean place (Dumpling House) or the Korean Chinese (Kings Noodle) in the Han ah Reum shopping complex in Ridgefield. If you go I'll probably join ya.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Ahh, Louies Backyard.  Nothing beats dining on the patio, overlooking the ocean as the sun sets.  One of the most romantic restaurants in southern FL.  Been there many times, always request the patio as im sure you know.  Enjoy.

What's the current status of Louie's? I frequent a travel forum regularly and posters there consistently say that Louie's food and service has gone waaaaay downhill in recent years. It's consistently recommended as a decent place for lunch and a great place for drinks due to the view but widely disparaged for serving overpriced and not-so-great dinners. Very curious to get the opinion of an Egulleteer.

I was going to avoid an opinion of Louie's but having been back North for a couple of weeks now I will venture forward.

Disappointing comes to mind.

3 of us had for app The Lobster in truffle butter, spinach & proscuitto. Too rich but yet bland somehow. I veered differently and had Diver scallops carpaccio with rum, burnt butter and lime. No taste.

2 entrees of grouper

2 entrees of Florida snapper

No taste.

Wine list, too many young wine priced way too high. Had a Livio Felluga $48

View was great, cocktails on the deck fun.

Stay on the deck and have some cocktails then head next door to Shula's for quality steaks.

Lreda - this confirms what I've been hearing. Sounds as though it's Louie's for cocktails and elsewhere for dinner on my next visit. Although it seems to be widely disparaged by foodies, I've had decent.... not stellar but decent meals at Latitudes on Sunset Key. If it's a warm night and you get one of the "beachside" tables (not really on the beach but set on sand and outside away from the open dining room) it's incredibly romantic with the tiki torches burngin and the breeze coming in off the Gulf. Yes, it's really just an upscale Hilton hotel dining room but I really liked the atmosphere and my date was blown away by the romantic factor. I've been there twice and although it's not up to the level of some other places in KW, it's certainly worth a visit if you're there for more than a few days and romance is on the agenda.

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

it's thursday.  where should i go to dinner.

You are simply changing the rules of this game too often.

I am going to take my Barbie Dolls and go home if you keep changing the rules.

I am only thinking of suggestions on Tuesdays.

You are simply changing the  rules of this game too often.

I am going to take my Barbie Dolls and go home if you keep changing the  rules. 

this is *not* a game. this is serious. if you're not on board with this, then i suggest you find another doll house in which to play. :angry:

this is *not* a game. this is serious. if you're not on board with this, then i suggest you find another doll house in which to play. :angry:

Maybe we could turn this effort into a weekly game show, and get it on FoodNetwork.

Premise - sexy bachelor Tommy (I know, I know, but this is TV) needs to find a place for dinner.

Set-up - Tommy makes a short video, describing how he's feeling right now, and what he might enjoy for dinner

Hook - bachelorettes vie for Tommy's attention with suggestions of where they could take him for dinner.

Prize - media attention for wannabe models, and dinner with Tommy

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Tommy, I was wrong.  DaMora in Norwood has reopened.  New management, same name.  Been open about a month

Nick

please hand in your badge, as you have to forfeit your "expert" status immediately. and no expert PM's from you for a one month period.

regards,

Expert Police.

Maybe we could turn this effort into a weekly game show, and get it on FoodNetwork.

Premise - sexy bachelor Tommy (I know, I know, but this is TV) needs to find a place for dinner.

Set-up - Tommy makes a short video, describing how he's feeling right now, and what he might enjoy for dinner

Hook - bachelorettes vie for Tommy's attention with suggestions of where they could take him for dinner.

Prize - media attention for wannabe models, and dinner with Tommy

This sounds like it might work..but we need to change the title, "Tuesday's with Tommy?" perhaps.

Sexy bachelor Tommy = Holy Roman Empire (neither holy nor roman nor...oh, I suppose his name is Tommy).  :cool:

my charm is near-irresistible. you know it. i know it. that's just what it is.

now back to my dinner plans. i was considering chicken savoy at what i assume is the Belmount tavern in what i assume is bloomfield or one of the Oranges.