• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where should i go to dinner

tommy

That's because you're SO difficult.  :laugh:

I'm meeting a friend and her 9 month old daughter at Short Hills Mall...think of the thrilling dinner choices WE'LL have!

Honestly, I think you should wait 'til tomorrow night and I'll join you.  But you'll still have to come up with the place!!

Short Hills Mall--Legal Seafoods is acceptable.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Elysian Cafe, Hoboken

Have to be honest...I don't know that the bar at Elysian Cafe is Tommy's style. Maybe for dinner with the Mrs., but I suspect it's too subdued for Tommy solo!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The Elysian has been renovated and turned into a restaurant by the owners of Amanda's in Hoboken. The bar is usually pretty busy even on weekday nights. They have an outdoor dining area on Washington and 10th, and they did a beautiful job renovating the indoor space. Someone needs to go there to eat and review it!!! I have heard so/so reviews from clients in Hoboken.

The Elysian has been renovated and turned into a restaurant by the owners of Amanda's in Hoboken.  The bar is usually pretty busy even on weekday nights.  They have an outdoor dining area on Washington and 10th, and they did a beautiful job renovating the indoor space.  Someone needs to go there to eat and review it!!!  I have heard so/so reviews from clients in Hoboken.

Agreed...the spaces--both indoor and outdoor--are lovely. Rumor in Hoboken is that they spent $1 million to renovate the place. I didn't post a full review, but somewhere in the Sunday Dinner thread, I said:

...As for Elysian Cafe, I had one dinner there; wasn't knocked out, to be honest!  The place is lovely inside, and dining al fresco is also an option, but I found the (French-inspired) menu a little too brief, and just wasn't impressed with my meal--with the exception of the frisee salad, which was ample and beautifully dressed.

Further details: it was a weeknight, we weren't starving, but both my mom and I found the menu items less than thrilling. Mom ended up with onion soup that she said was good, but nothing mindblowing, and we both had the frisee salad with onion tart. The 'tart' was a strip about 2 inches long, and it was fine, but nothing incredible. I then had a calamari dish that was also fine.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of French food, but from what I've read, one is better off at Epernay in Montclair! It certainly sounds like their menu is more interesting.

Now, then...if someone would instruct me on the use of the Quote + feature, my head might spin just a tad slower. :laugh:

Edit: I do find it amusing that the block between 10th and 11th on Washington Street is framed by Maxwell's and the Elysian Cafe; talk about different ends of the spectrum!!! Hey, Tommy--maybe Maxwell's is where you should go tonight!?!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

...As for Elysian Cafe, I had one dinner there; wasn't knocked out, to be honest!  The place is lovely inside, and dining al fresco is also an option, but I found the (French-inspired) menu a little too brief, and just wasn't impressed with my meal--with the exception of the frisee salad, which was ample and beautifully dressed.

Now, then...if someone would instruct me on the use of the Quote + feature, my head might spin just a tad slower. :laugh:

Edit: I do find it amusing that the block between 10th and 11th on Washington Street is framed by Maxwell's and the Elysian Cafe; talk about different ends of the spectrum!!! Hey, Tommy--maybe Maxwell's is where you should go tonight!?!

Before you Reply, you have to highlight/copy the interior quote, then use the Quote buttons in the midst of your reply to bring in new quote commands, as I've done above to illustrate.

Am I being clear enough? If not, I'll try again.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Edit: I do find it amusing that the block between 10th and 11th on Washington Street is framed by Maxwell's and the Elysian Cafe; talk about different ends of the spectrum!!!  Hey, Tommy--maybe Maxwell's is where you should go tonight!?!

when the elysian cafe was just the elysian, as it was for countless years, i'd often wind up at both. however i wouldn't consider maxwell's a place to eat. perhaps i'll give the "new" elysian some consideration. but at silly as it sounds, i'm somewhat upset that the old elysian is gone, and i will probably have a hard time getting over that vis-a-vis a visit to the new elysian.

as for tonight, i took rosie's advice and went to see Lou at An American Grill, and had an excellent cheese/meat plate, some gnocchi/lobster/fava bean (yes, it worked), and a great steak. the quality of the steak surprised me, as i had been previously let down by a steak here (at the wine dinner when apparently i got a chewy steak, and everyone else by all reports got an excellent steak...that happens, and i can appreciate that). regardless, this sucker was like buttah.

I think Legal Seafoods gives Tommy a headache... :biggrin:

WHAMM!!!

on my last visit, i got cracked in the head by a door from an employee not once, but *twice* as i was sitting and finishing up dinner. good thing i didn't snag my sweater, or i might have *really* been upset. :laugh::unsure: but it was late and i bet they were just trying to get me out of there. :laugh::unsure:

it's not really tuesday, but where should i have dinner? i had great luck at An American Grill the last time out. i'd like to duplicate that experience, but closer to bergen county.

thoughts? (remember, solo-dining and i prefer to eat at a bar).

I just had a great meal at Jocelyn's in Maplewood. Not too far from bergen County. Although, no bar at all. If you do go....My appetizer was a Foie Gras, Rabbit Ravioli, and Quail with Roasted Shallots sampler...My entree was Sea Scallops and Prawns in a Saffron Emulsion. Also came with Truffled Risotto. Both were great and I certainly recommend. The Cheese course is excellent also.

on my last visit, i got cracked in the head by a door from an employee not once, but *twice* as i was sitting and finishing up dinner.  good thing i didn't snag my sweater, or i might have *really* been upset.  :laugh:  :unsure:  but it was late and i bet they were just trying to get me out of there.  :laugh:  :unsure:

Naughty, tommy!! :wink::biggrin:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

• 2 weeks later...
I think Legal Seafoods gives Tommy a headache... :biggrin:

WHAMM!!!

Just curious...does Legal Seafoods occupy the space once filled by Chuck Muir's? Or am I going back too far...I worked there back in the day. Was, in fact, part of the opening team. :blink:

Just curious...does Legal Seafoods occupy the space once filled by Chuck Muir's? Or am I going back too far...I worked there back in the day. Was, in fact, part of the opening team.  :blink:

hmmm. i have no idea. it's basically on the south east corner of the mall. if that means much.

what i *do* know is that it's thursday, which is kind of like tuesday, and it's almost time for dinner. i'll be doing my lonely-dinner-routine tonight, and i'm accepting recommendations for something that i might like in northern jersey. refresher: i like eating at the bar. i like wine by the glass. i don't like too fancy. other than that, pretty much anything goes. hell, if i leave now i could make it out to Lou's by 7 pm. :wacko::biggrin:

hell, if i leave now i could make it out to Lou's by 7 pm.  :wacko:  :biggrin:

Leave now!! That's the best suggestion I can come up with...

Leave now!!  That's the best suggestion I can come up with...

i'm actually considering your previous suggestion of Park and Orchard, although i've always felt the food there is just terrible. at least i won't have to bring a Rolling Stone or Spin to read, as the wine list could keep me busy for hours.

This is depressing. From P&O's website for whites by the glass:

Whites

Kritter Brut Blanc de Blanc.....4.75

Estrella Chardonnay.....3.50

Georges Duboeuf Chardonnay.....3.75

Hogue Cellars Chardonnay.....5.00

Chateau St. Jean 'La Petite Etoile' Fume Blanc.....6.00

Glen Carlou Chardonnay.....6.50

Kunde Chardonnay.....7.00

Pernand-Vergelesses Chardonnay.....7.50

6 chardonnays. out of 7 non-sparkling whites.

WTF? :blink:

If you're looking for company I'd bring the Spin or RS with you. I'm sitting on my deck overlooking the Atlantic on vacation. Getting ready to impliment a new menu for Winter and studying hard :hmmm:

If you go make sure you report back. Some have PM'd that because I know who egullet members are they are treated better. Now, I'm not there and haven't been for 10 days. A good time for some to test the place.

Anyway, back to the deck, only an hour of sun left. :biggrin:

I'm sitting on my deck overlooking the Atlantic on vacation.

Anyway, back to the deck, only an hour of sun left. :biggrin:

I'm guessing that I speak for most of us when I say PFFFFFFFFFFFFT, Lou!! :laugh:

Have you ever considered opening An American Grill EAST? I know I'd spend way too much time there if you were closer...

If you go make sure you report back. Some have PM'd that because I know who egullet members are they are treated better. Now, I'm not there and haven't been for 10 days. A good time for some to test the place.

those people might consider that you generally ignore me when i'm there, as Sienfeld reruns are far more entertaining. :biggrin: special treatment my ass. :wink: