• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

T-Bone

Stone

The doctor told me that I'm sicker than I feel, so I took the day off. On the way home, I decided to stop by Costco and pick up a pork shoulder and ribs to smoke for Sunday night HBO. The t-bone steak actually sat up and called my name.

It was time to use the Lodge cast-iron dutch oven. I know I bought a 10" frying pan, but can't seem to find it. So the dutch oven (seasoned) went on the fire and sat for a good five minute. I got scared, so I poured a tbsn of OO in the pan and dropped on the steak:

fc9211ab.jpg

Sizzled for about 10 minutes -- it was a little over an inch thick, no peeking. And flipped it:

spacer.gif

Gave it five more and added a pat of butter. Why not:

fc9213f9.jpg

Mmmmm.

fc9213d9.jpg

Steak.

fc9213c1.jpg

A little too much -- just a tad over medium. But still pretty good.

Now y'all are telling me to just rinse the pan with water and give it a firm, but gentle scrub?

Edited by Stone (log)

Nice steak, nice story, nice plate.

Do you vary your plates based on the food you're serving? We have several different shapes, sizes, and colors of plates for just that reason.

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Do you vary your plates based on the food you're serving? We have several different shapes, sizes, and colors for just that reason.

I've got these which I purchased years ago at BB&Beyond. My friend described them as "festive, yet manly." I've got another stack that I picked up as Fishs Eddy a few years back. They have a higher lip, and aren't as good for knife-work.

The steak was 1.5 pounds. I'd say it was about three inches thick, but being a Jewish man, I tend to round up.

Edited by Stone (log)

We really need a drool icon! :biggrin:

I saw t-bones at the Costco by my house (Yokohama) once and only once and my husband really wanted them but at something like $20 a piece they were way out of our budget. Maybe I will rethink it when we get the grill out.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This is the cow the steak came from:

fc9cc5d6.jpg

(O.k., not really, but that thing is so freaky I wanted to post it, but I didn't want to go off-topic.)

and freaky is just the word for it!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Cat looks pissed.

Guess I would be too, if somebody gave me a haircut like that. Do the other cats make fun of it?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

OK, really, that cat is freaky.

edited to remove the long run on sentance fueled by red wine, which goofed on Stone for buying steak at Costco.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I just happened to be at costco.  When you're buying a pork shoulder, there's no need for a butcher.

ok. ok, use the old " I bought the discount steak while looking for a good pork butt" excuse..but another thing, the plates are way to 1993's....teal is the dead give away. Hey, I own them to, just trying to warn you..

(My bad. I purged a bunch of stuff from Sony Imagestation, and, um, of course, . . . .)

By the way, I always have trouble picturing what part of the cow a particular cut comes from. What bone is the bone in the t-bone?

Edited by Stone (log)

Beats me.  Ask Sony.

By the way, I always have trouble picturing what part of the cow a particular cut comes from.  What bone is the bone in the t-bone?

well, I guess if you work it all the way through..the A bone's connected to t he B bone,the B's bone connected to the C bone...so T is down towards the end..

Beats me.  Ask Sony.

By the way, I always have trouble picturing what part of the cow a particular cut comes from.  What bone is the bone in the t-bone?

well, I guess if you work it all the way through..the A bone's connected to t he B bone,the B's bone connected to the C bone...so T is down towards the end..

The T-bone is the poor man's porterhouse. They have the cuts of meat (strip steak and tenderloin) but it's further down the tail than a porterhouse, thus the size of the strip is larger and loin is smaller.