• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

15lb, 7 bone Rib Roast Cooking Time

Robenco15

Any guess how long a 15lb, 7 bone rib roast will take in a 225F oven? I don’t think I can go below 225F for time’s sake. Take it out of the fridge at 10am, into the oven at 12pm and done by 5pm? 

Anyone have experience with one this large? Thanks!

Just a guess, but I think 4 -4-5 hours @225 to get to abut 218 - 220, 45 to 60 minute rest, 10 minutes at 500°. I should say that I've never done this. but it's what would be my plan.

OTOH, as they (Napoleon?) say(s), "No plan survives the first encounter with the enemy."  

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

To get to what temperature?  Are you pasteurizing the meat?

Gotta be a typo. Probably meant 118-120F. 

I think I need to take it to 130F and then let carryover bring it to 135F. At 225F I don’t think there will be much carryover. I unfortunately need 135F to make everyone happy. 

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I'd pull it at 125 for 135.  Normally pull mine at 105-110 and they reach 125.  I never use more than 225.  Full convection though on a kamado grill so not exactly apples to apples.  I would also guess there is no way it'll take 4 hours.

Yeah with a lower cook temp I wonder how much of a carry over there’d be. Maybe I’ll pull at 128F and split the difference. 

No way it’ll take 4 hours as in longer or shorter? I was assuming 5. 

33 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

Yeah with a lower cook temp I wonder how much of a carry over there’d be. Maybe I’ll pull at 128F and split the difference. 

This is what I'd do as well; you'll have more cooked beef at the ends, and rarer in the middle anyway. Keep everyone happy. Or as happy as everyone can be.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Robenco15 

the temperatures you are thinking about  130 F  , carry over to 135 F   

are SV type temperatures .   Im sure you might get the 7-bone to 130 F  in , say , 4 hours or so

possibly less even.  while 7-bone has some very tasty muscles , its more or less tough meat .

the blade muscles , less so  ( under the 7 .)

4 hours to 130 is not going to make the meat tender .3 - 4 hours is more of a braising time

350 - 375 , covered pot , stock 1/2 way up the meat .  flip the meat 1/2way through the cooking time.

chuck , 7 bone  , etc  w a bath temp of 130 F takes 24 - 48 hours to get tender .

what do you want the resulting meat to be like :  1 ) doneness  ?  2 ) tenderness ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Robenco15 

the temperatures you are thinking about  130 F  , carry over to 135 F   

are SV type temperatures .   Im sure you might get the 7-bone to 130 F  in , say , 4 hours or so

possibly less even.  while 7-bone has some very tasty muscles , its more or less tough meat .

the blade muscles , less so  ( under the 7 .)

4 hours to 130 is not going to make the meat tender .3 - 4 hours is more of a braising time

350 - 375 , covered pot , stock 1/2 way up the meat .  flip the meat 1/2way through the cooking time.

chuck , 7 bone  , etc  w a bath temp of 130 F takes 24 - 48 hours to get tender .

what do you want the resulting meat to be like :  1 ) doneness  ?  2 ) tenderness ?

@rotuts, I don't think he's talking about a 7-bone chuck roast. He's talking about a 7-bone rib roast -- in other words, a roast with 7 rib bones in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

3 hours ago, Robenco15 said:

No way it’ll take 4 hours as in longer or shorter? I was assuming 5. 

On my grill that would take around 3 hours at 225 with about 10 degrees or so of carryover.  Haven't done it in the oven for years.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So this ended up, or I should say it would have ended up taking 6 hours for my 7 bone 17 pound rib roast. I didn’t start it early enough so I had to bump up the temperature considerably to have it done so we could eat at a reasonable time. 

14 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

So this ended up, or I should say it would have ended up taking 6 hours for my 7 bone 17 pound rib roast. I didn’t start it early enough so I had to bump up the temperature considerably to have it done so we could eat at a reasonable time. 

What makes it so hard to give an accurate estimate of time as to how long a hunk of meat will take to cook to a certain doneness has a number of answers.

Every oven is different.  Every hunk of meat is different. Every cook is different.

It's why a thermometer is your best friend. Both an oven thermometer and a probe thermometer, actually.

The classic cooking school Q & A: 

Q: How long will this take to cook? 

A: Until it's done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Until it's done

The only answer for baking and roasting. I actually saw a recipe the other day for a cake that said to bake it 36 to 42.5 minutes. That's what I won't be trying.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, weinoo said:

What makes it so hard to give an accurate estimate of time as to how long a hunk of meat will take to cook to a certain doneness has a number of answers.

Every oven is different.  Every hunk of meat is different. Every cook is different.

It's why a thermometer is your best friend. Both an oven thermometer and a probe thermometer, actually.

The classic cooking school Q & A: 

Q: How long will this take to cook? 

A: Until it's done.

Thermometer is how I knew it was going to take 6 hours or so. Was hoping to get an estimate so I could plan on when to start it. Now I know though. Start earlier than I assume to give myself some wiggle room. 

a 7 bone 17lb rib roast is definitely a different animal than most things. 

Edited by Robenco15 (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Robenco15 said:

a 7 bone 17lb rib roast is definitely a different animal than most things

A rib roast is actually one of the easiest things to cook. The real trick is to start with very good meat and don't overcook it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

A rib roast is actually one of the easiest things to cook. The real trick is to start with very good meat and don't overcook it.

Wait, the real trick is to not over cook it and use high quality ingredients?! Had no idea 😂 

23 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

Wait, the real trick is to not over cook it

The easiest thing is to cook the rib roast. The second easiest thing to do is to overcook it and ruin the whole damn thing. Most home Cooks know nothing about residual cooking and resting the meat.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

9 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The easiest thing is to cook the rib roast. The second easiest thing to do is to overcook it and ruin the whole damn thing. Most home Cooks know nothing about residual cooking and resting the meat.

Well it’s good I’m not most home cooks then. 

6 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

Well it’s good I’m not most home cooks then

To be honest, from your initial post I had no idea of your cooking experience. I have to admit that I have never cooked one that large at home, my only experience with something that big has been when I was working in restaurants and that has been so long ago that I can't remember times and temp.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slim W said:

I believe you have the Combustion.inc Thermometer?  Had you considered starting hi temp and adjusting the ambient temp as the surface temp increased?

No 225F was always the plan. Monitoring surface temp and adjusting as it went was more than I wanted to to keep track of on Christmas day with everything else going on. Based on Kenji and Chris Young’s experience I was comfortable with 225F. I just should have started it earlier. Hindsight is 20/20 right? Still came out great it not quite edge to edge medium as I was hoping. No complaints from family!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

To be honest, from your initial post I had no idea of your cooking experience. I have to admit that I have never cooked one that large at home, my only experience with something that big has been when I was working in restaurants and that has been so long ago that I can't remember times and temp.

No worries!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

No 225F was always the plan. Monitoring surface temp and adjusting as it went was more than I wanted to to keep track of on Christmas day with everything else going on. Based on Kenji and Chris Young’s experience I was comfortable with 225F. I just should have started it earlier. Hindsight is 20/20 right? Still came out great it not quite edge to edge medium as I was hoping. No complaints from family!

Quite understandable!  I never have a problem with a little transition from crust to the desired doneness. Rarely does anyone notice.  Glad it turned out well ( well, med rare?) !

Edited by Slim W
Punctuation (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1