• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

bripastryguy

use a thermometer to check your syrups temp

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

When I make my marshmallows, I cook the syrup to 260, is that what you do?

I cooked the syrup to 240, and let it set for 3 hours before cutting and storing. Perhaps next time I'll cook to 260 and let it set overnight--or maybe just use the technique of cutting off just what you need and wrapping the rest in plastic.

I made some homemade marshmallows and rolled them in a mixture of corn starch and powdered sugar and stored them in an airtight container, and now a couple hours later, they are all moist and sticky again. I let them set for about 4 hours before cutting them and then stored them immediately after cutting. Are there any tricks to prevent them from turning gooey again?

Could you give us your ingredients list? All recipes are not equally reliable.

3 1/2 envelopes (2 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin

1/2 cup cold water

2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/2 cup hot water (about 115°F.)

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large egg whites*

1 teaspoon vanilla

I got if from epicurious. Its out of a '98 Gourmet magazine.

Do not refrigerate the marshmallow.....

Scott call me tomorrow and I'll give you my recipe.

Brian

516-794-4478

just say that its Scott O from Egullet. I'll be glad to walk you through. I've been on a marshmallow diet.... I luv ee!

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we got "snowed in" which in North Carolina means anything over 1/4 inch, so with hot cocoa in mind I tried making marshmallows using coffee instead of water and Lyle's golden syrup instead of corn syrup and mixing some unsweetened cocoa in with the confectioner's sugar for dusting. Yummy. :wub:

• 1 month later...

be cautious with the gelatin!

i have a recipe from the "time/life" series book on candy making. it sounds pretty similar to the french laundry one linked in tchorst's post...

you can probably cut the gelatin in half (or at least reduce it a little).

i made mine following the recipe to the letter and when they had set up, i had little super balls...you could barely bite into them without your teeth bouncing back and causing your jaw to dislocate :blink:

when they're good though, homemade marshmallows are great!

p.s. if you want the time/life recipe, i can pm it to you...i guess there are issues with copyright

Edited by alanamoana (log)

I hope you have a kitchenaid stand mixer because it always took me upwards of 20 minutes of whipping and I've heard folks' horror stories about their hand mixers burning out.

That said, as long as you have a good recipe homemade marshmallows are delicious.

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Follow Nightscotsman's advice - he helped me with my last marshmallow craze.

With the leftovers, I tossed them with a mix of cocoa( the good stuff), powdered sugar and a dash of cinnamon. Perfectly delicious, a big hit but they looked just like cubes of browned meat - :biggrin:

I made Nightscotsmans recipe for Easter and it was fabulous! I highly reccomend it and I can't wait to try other puree flavors.

Thanks Neil for sharing that!

You're very welcome :smile:

So far I've tried them with raspberry (good), passion fruit (really good, but could use a touch of food color), cinnamon (excellent in hot cider), coconut (the fat in the coconut milk made them dense), and chocolate (using cocoa powder - made them very fudgy tasting). Strawberry is still my favorite, but I would like to try lemon or peach sometime.

I also used the nightscotsmans recipe for marshmallows for easter. I made three batches. One was made with fresh strawberry puree and colored a pale pink. The second was colored a pale green and flavored with mint. The third was a pale yellow and flavored with lemon. Instead of pouring them out into a flat pan I poured them into Chocolate molds shaped like small bunnies and chickens and easter eggs. I let them set for 24hr and them put them into the powered sugar potato starch mix. For Easter gifts I put them into 6 inch birds nests made of Chocolate and slivered almonds and cornflakes. The pale colors worked well with the dark chocolate. The kids at our family dinner devoured them as did many of the adults.

Fred Rowe

Tis the season of marshmallow making, it would appear... Just made a big bunch of them the other day. Have been wondering what the differences between the egg-white ones and the whipped gelatine ones are. The final results seem alike... Did I not need those six egg whites in there after all?

The recipe I use was from a workshop I took with Dorie Greenspan, and her recipe brought the syrup up to 265, and threw that into some eggwhites at stiff peaks (which double in volume when hit with the hot syrup), and then beating a hell of a lot of gelatine into that. They have turned out perfectly... but a friend who uses just the whipped gelatine method comes up with a nearly identical result .

So, pros and cons of the egg white method?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 5 weeks later...
Has anybody made marshmallows using agar instead of gelatin? I was thinking of trying this, and wondering what sort of substitution to make.

I haven't tried agar in marshmallows, but I have heard people complain that it doesn't set up well. Also, I find that agar sometimes contributes an off flavor unless the other ingredients are strong enough to hide it. (I wasn't so happy with Agar panacotta, but stronger flavored fruit-based jellys were fine). Kojel or other vegetable-based gelatin seems to be more popular. Here's a recipe I bookmarked a while ago...most recipes I've seen seem to be a variation on this.

vegan marshmallows

Note, some Kosher gelatins are not vegetarian, but you probably already knew that.