• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean food in LA -- recommendation

DavidJS

I'm planning to make a visit to the L.A. area fairly soon (West L.A.) from NY although this isn't my first trip. I have never tried Korean food in Southern California compared to NYC/ NJ. Can anyone make any recommendation I'm not too keen on the BBQ scene (unless its wood grilled). But rather their traditional dishes and good panchan.

extremely short list:

for wood-fired bbq, try Soowon Galbi or Soot Bull Jeep.

for soon tofu, try Sokongdong Tofu.

addresses available at http://lapublichealth.org/rating/.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

my favorite korean restaurant in la is yong susan (sp?), it's on western near 8th. unbelievable, nearly perfect, cooking and best of all, a set menu. as someone who still hasn't figured out exactly what order dishes in a korean restaurant should be ordered, this is a real plus.

Korean restaurants are known to be abit on the spendy side especially for kalbi and bulgogi bbq (probably out of my budget). Do they offer any prix fixe lunches or dinners. What's the price range? Just somewhere good where I don't have to blow my wallet like some Korean restaurants in NYC.

Edited by DavidJS (log)

If you want a good deal you should go to Manna on Olympic. They have a combo special for BBQ, includes a bottle of beer or soju. It's not in Englsh on the menu, just tell your server you want combo A (feeds 2-3), B (4-5), or C depending on the # of people in your party.

• 2 weeks later...