• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding smokey flavor to sweets?

cteavin

I just watched a video from Kitchen Alchemy on YouTube in which they attach a smoker to a blender, light up the smoker and turn on the blender. The idea is the vortex in the blender will pull in the smoke to bind to the fats. I admire the ingenuity but there must be an easier, less novel way. 

Has anyone ever used smokey flavors in their desserts and if so, how did you get the flavor? 

Alternatively, any ideas on how to get that smokey flavor into the food? 

If you're interested, here's a link to the video. 

Blender and smoker not required, use any vessel on your bbq grill or a vessel within a vessel where the larger contains the smoking material and the smaller contains the food.  Or use already smoked ingredients like smoked salt or lapsang souchang tea.

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Blender and smoker not required, use any vessel on your bbq grill or a vessel within a vessel where the larger contains the smoking material and the smaller contains the food.  Or use already smoked ingredients like smoked salt or lapsang souchang tea.

I've heard of this but never have tried it.  Perhaps you can provide some suggestions about how to use the tea for smoking?

... Shel

2 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I've  smoked sugar for a  marshmallow fluff which went on a dessert that was a  take on a s'more

How'd you go about doing it? 

7 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Blender and smoker not required, use any vessel on your bbq grill or a vessel within a vessel where the larger contains the smoking material and the smaller contains the food.  

According to the video, the smoke needs to bind to the fat for it incorporate as a flavor; otherwise, apparently, the smokey flavor sits on the surface or evaporates off. I imagine that's how meats keep their flavor but the flavor evaporates with cocktails. 

I wondered if putting butter in a smoker might work but the video suggests agitation to incorporate it. 

9 hours ago, Shel_B said:

I've heard of this but never have tried it.  Perhaps you can provide some suggestions about how to use the tea for smoking?

If you wanted to add smokiness to a chocolate truffle or a creme brulee, you could infuse the cream with the already-smoked tea leaves.