• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Odd Question for the Sous Vide Experts...

Laurentius

I'd like to try making a whole pork butt (about 14 pounds) using sous vide per Serious Eats.  My vacuum sealer is a budget unit from FoodSaver, and (a) there are no bags large enough; and (b) the sealing has become undependable, especially over long cooks.

After a little research, I've decided to try bathing this monster in its original cryovac packaging.  However, this route seems like it might suffer from not having a rub as it soaks.

So here's my question:  Is there a way to inject through the plastic and tape the hole shut without the tape coming off over the 18-24 hours the butt will be under water?

I'll rub and then smoke it afterward anyway, but if this would work, why would I not do that?  FYI, I have the requisite needles, syringes and even a "Meat Pump".

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks 

There are self sealing tapes that can be pierced and will seal.

The older SV threads here mention them.

I'll poke around.

The alternative is to put it in an unsealed bag that is suspended from the top and just open the bag to add your stuff

Edited by gfweb (log)

Just now, gfweb said:

There are self sealing tapes that can be pierced and will seal.

The older SV threads here mention them.

I'll poke around.

closed cell foam. I've never used them, but that's what NathanM used to use - but he was using for needle temperature probes which may be thinner than a syringe needle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurentius said:

Thank you.  I'd seen this product before; I just didn't understand that you apply the tape and then pierce through it and the bag.  Makes sense.

Pretty pricey at $27!

Its not being made solely for sous vide.

I bet it exists cheaper under another name...like weather stripping?

Bingo!  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=Closed-cell+foam+tape+with+adhesive+backing

Edited by gfweb (log)