• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wanted - yummy katsu curry recipe

Susanwusan

I assume you are looking for a decent kare („curry“) sauce recipe, to serve with a breaded meat item … in which case I‘d wholeheartedly recommend a Japanese Kare cube (start with the medium spicy S&B or House brand one, both are readily available), dissolved in a weak dashi stock.

• Like 1

Or even make your own, and keep it in the fridge or freezer in portion sizes; it’s quite easy and the salt content is more easily controlled…

https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to-make-curry-roux/

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Or even make your own, and keep it in the fridge or freezer in portion sizes; it’s quite easy and the salt content is more easily controlled…

https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to-make-curry-roux/

Fully with you. In fact, the Wagamama recipe does start by making a roux in situ. While it’s not difficult to do, usually this is where the lack of flavor is stemming from, as using curry powder (that usually doesn’t keep its potency for long) can be a hit and miss affair. The vacuum sealed kare cubes will eliminate that source of error. But if you are versed cook, making your own cubes it’s a great way to introduce variety …

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I agree with you as well!  Then there’s this, from Sonoko…https://www.sonokosakai.com/shop/curry-brick-kit

I have this kit in my pantry, but haven’t had the opportunity to use it.

If you ever make the kit will you post how you liked it?  I wrote to them to ask if they would ship to Canada and they will but I expect the shipping plus the kit itself would be quite expensive.  I'd like to know if it's worth it.  Meantime, I'll be picking up some garam masala and making the recipe you linked to from justonecookbook.  

@weinoo

Im also keen to hear about your results.  

sounds like a very interesting project to try.

Ive noticed that at a local chain , they had Patak brand ' indian pastes '  w a bundle of dried spices.

has anyone tried that ' style '  of blends from starting w remeasured dried spices ?

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Meantime, I'll be picking up some garam masala and making the recipe you linked to from justonecookbook.  

Highly recommend using the S&B if you can find it. Japanese curry spice mix has a particular taste that's not similar to Indian! Shouldn't be to hard to source! 

IMG_1029.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

Highly recommend using the S&B if you can find it. Japanese curry spice mix has a particular taste that's not similar to Indian! Shouldn't be to hard to source! 

IMG_1029.JPG

I have some I bought a little while ago though I haven't used any yet.

• Like 1

I'd have to make up a curry powder mix, but wouldn't be able to use the star anise and fenugreek - how would that affect the flavour, must they be in the mix?

Everything contributes to the whole, star anise would especially be missed. That being said just leave them out they are both not easy to substitute for. Hopefully you'll still have that Japanese taste!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

Are the spices in equal quantities in the mix?

I'd be surprised but few, if any, companies making curry powders give their precise ratios of the ingredients. They're all possible different. That's true of all curry powders: Indian, Japanese,  Burmese, Thai etc.

Also, regulations on ingredient listings are different in different places. In places, spices can just be listed as 'spices'. most usual though is from highest amount to lowest. 

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

48 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

I found a site, okonomi, that gives a recipe for the mix with quantities

Or you simply get this 😉 …

IMG_4126.jpeg.887f1cdcf79f05663bfdcf6e9aac4187.jpeg

• Like 1

If you look far enough into the recipe that @weinoo gave, you will find this recipe for Japanese curry powder.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-curry-powder/

I know that the recommendations from @Duvel are always good but there are some of us that just don't have access to these products so making it ourselves is the only option.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I know that the recommendations from @Duvel are always good but there are some of us that just don't have access to these products so making it ourselves is the only option.

Fair enough - I was under the impression that those cubes are ubiquitous. 

Okay, I have my Japanese curry powder made. It smells delicious and I'm ready to make the roux.

20240602_182705.thumb.jpg.ecd21d02398e183d74095d43173c4de0.jpg

@weinoo I'm going to use the recipe that you have given. Do you add the garam masala when you make the roux?

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

9 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Okay, I have my Japanese curry powder made. It smells delicious and I'm ready to make the roux.

20240602_182705.thumb.jpg.ecd21d02398e183d74095d43173c4de0.jpg

@weinoo I'm going to use the recipe that you have given. Do you add the garam masala when you make the roux?

Trying to remember, but I think I make the roux first, then add all the spices.  Easier to discern th color of the roux that way.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Trying to remember, but I think I make the roux first, then add all the spices.  Easier to discern th color of the roux that way.

Thanks but what I really wanted to know was whether you use just the Japanese curry powder or whether you also add the garam masala.

28 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thanks but what I really wanted to know was whether you use just the Japanese curry powder or whether you also add the garam masala.

I definitely add the garam masala, provided I have good (i.e.: fresh garam masala).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog