• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rana: filled egg pasta and more

rotuts

Rana pasta ,refrigerated  noodles and filled pasta has been around here for a few years

https://www.giovanniranausa.com/products.html

Ive not looked too closely at it , as its significantly more expensive than 

Contadina ///   buttony /// Trader Joes // other store brands .  

I thought it was just a marketing   ''  Hand Made Italian Artisan ''

'then this showed up :

rana.thumb.jpg.33f47c25c62ccf1438d661dc78f3c337.jpg

my thinking is that the company overpriced its niche , and was trolling for lower end shoppers 

i.e. Me.

then I made some , and discovered the pasta is egg pasta , if you will .  Ive made my own pasta , and ravioli in the past

w a standard Italin hand crank machine and a cu9isinart .  loved doing it.   the filled pasta Ive been getting is

pasta w/o the egg.  Ive never made filled pasta w egg pasta

its very different in taste and mouth feel.  and this brand has a version w prosciutto 

IMG_3241.thumb.jpg.f073008df584f17e062129742f124e6c.jpg

I  gave it a try 

mise :

IMG_3239.thumb.jpg.0052123751dbf04924d8eb15b776dfaa.jpg

same pot , but w less stock.  IMG_3243.thumb.jpg.d368c60785b000efc3dba69d4339a855.jpg

plated , w a little of the broth in the bowl.  from time to time when Ive made filed pasta 

as a plated dish , rather than in a bowl as soup . the pasta needed a little more stock or got sticky

the plate :

IMG_3247.thumb.jpg.06ec17f652a26053114eadc8f08ecb25.jpg

very generous w the EVOO

this stuff is terrific !  if you see this or other refrigerated egg pasta as torts or ray's  

give it a try .

needless to say Ive tried several of their version , ad liked them all

and indeed I stocked up during this sale .

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

@MetsFan5

good to hear .

when you try their sauces 

please post you thoughts here

Ive got a lot of filled pasta now

but  Ill keep in mind fresh refrigerated egg

vs the dried egg pasta 

I agree. The freshly made egg pasta is not even close to the same product as the massed produced frozen products. 

Given their availability in most grocery stores, sales and taste, they are my go to at timed, often with browned butter or a spoonful marinara with a slug of good olive oil. 

• Like 2

We eat their cheese-filled pastas fairly often, either en brodo (when good stock is about) or with a pesto-cream sauce of our own making.

We tried the lasagna, but unlike @Maison Rustique, we did not enjoy it.

We've never tried the sauces, and most of the flat pastas and combinations (as meals or with sauce) aren't for sale here.

What we do employ often are the lasagna sheets, cut into extra-wide papardella-ish noodles for stroganoff or short-rib ragu and the like. It's not as good as freshly-made pasta (it's a tiny bit too thick), but it's miles better than dried-and-boxed-or-bagged noodles. It easily meets our 80/20 rule: 80% of the quality for 20% of the work.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Rana means Frog in Spanish and the below is all I can think of when I see that name 

Sana, sana colita de rana! (something my mother would say in Spanish when I got a bump or bruise as a kid lol)  basically means heal, heal little frogs tail. Not sure I could buy Frog pasta. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried two of the products (wild mushroom ravioli and 4 (or 5) cheese tortellini), and I can't see these products becoming part of my larder.

Last night I made the tortellini, and the first thing Sig Eater said after her first bite was: "these are mushy." I have to agree with her.  Indistinct fillings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

After posting previously about liking their lasagne, I have a bad one to report. Costco had a Rana Meat Lovers Pizza Lasagna a month or two ago so I picked one up. Don't. It was absolutely tasteless. Yes, there were all the meats listed, but I couldn't taste anything except the bacon. The worst Rana product I've ever purchased. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Deb

Liberty, MO