• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

@liuzhou Do you agree a ‘full’ English breakfast must have a portion of Heinz baked beans? 

Although my breakfast was pretty tasty, it would have been even better with a serving of good old Heinz baked beans imho. FAC5050F-C231-4E74-9AF1-8271F665AF96.jpeg.c347e6b418aef15088e5b6c8c168ae80.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Neely said:

@liuzhou Do you agree a ‘full’ English breakfast must have a portion of Heinz baked beans? 

Although my breakfast was pretty tasty, it would have been even better with a serving of good old Heinz baked beans imho.

Hmmm. Mr Heinz's beans are certainly not traditional, not having been invented in America until the beginnings of the 20th century then imported. The Full English has been around from the 17th. However, today beans are nearly always included. I rarely make a FEB (nor do most people) but, when I do, I usually include the beans. Talking of non-traditional, eggs were rarely included either until they becamse cheap in the 20th century, yet no none complains about them. Hash browns, however, should be shunned by any self respecting breakfast plate!

For me, the essentials would be back bacon, good pork sausages, black pudding, mushrooms, egg, tomato, toast. In Scotland, where I was partly raised it would also have had Lorne sausage (aka square sausage) and 'fruit pdding'.

I rarely eat FEBs now; only partly because I'm no longer in either England or Scotland. I did once approximate it here though - about 20 years ago. Despite China's love affair with pork, I couldn't source the right bacon. Everything else, I got.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A few recent breakfasts. A busy week so it's either go big or go hungry.

Potato, chickpea, zucchini, mushroom and peppers hash with eggs, toasted ciabatta and gazpacho.

Waffles with sausage, peaches and crabapple blueberry applesauce.

Eggs scrambled with peppers, onion, mushrooms, zucchini flowers and herbs with breakfast sausage, tomatoes and a toasted WW bagel with crabapple habanero jelly.

PotatoChickpeaZucchiniandMushroomHashandEggs.thumb.JPG.a691948a3c84067a8d8c4ddafa8fd03c.JPGWafflesPeachesApplwsauceandSausage.thumb.JPG.42befe4911eb296cef08e30124579526.JPGWeekendBigBreakfast.thumb.JPG.cf6e618cbacee1ba9aed6c2dc4bc63fc.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Homemade carrot/celery juice, lightly toasted, seeded, whole wheat toast spread with roasted, homemade peanut butter, French press Ethiopian coffee, black.  

... Shel

IMG_4655.thumb.jpeg.33874253c9004086ef725c3090d987a2.jpeg

soft scrambled eggs w white miso ( Tj's )

Impressive you say  ?  

OK,  it was very tasty .

white miso has a very interesting taste .  doesn't taste like tofu at all .

surprised.gif.fc6e13b3fef5dcf29f146884d909411e.gif.2b01746df8020a9b2c23258f77feb4a7.gif

it is quite salty , but it seems a little goes a long way.

and it has subtle staying power .

try it .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

No photo, but I made some Bob's Red Mill multigrain hot cereal and added chopped up canned apricots (cleaning out the pantry), nutmeg, and cinnamon. Sprinkle of toasted almonds when done, it was really good with the apricots heated up, like eating a cobbler/crumble. If I had any milk it would have been nice to add a drizzle.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I asked husband if he wanted the same breakfast as I was making for myself… his answer was ‘never in a million’. What’s wrong with liverwurst on toast with gravy and a boiled egg??

4B0C124A-5EE7-4BB9-A6DB-A819D793E16F.jpeg.0d0aa80e38b19888cc94e2b5eda3ad28.jpeg

• Haha 5

Toasties: sourdough slice, lightly toasted. Spread with Dijon mustard, then a layer of cheese slices. 20 seconds in the microwave. Tomato slices topping it afterward.

Accompanied by a Bartlett pear that was about to turn, to my surprise. The outside still felt firm and there wasn't much aroma. Glad I checked it out. Its partner is in the refrigerator.

20241001_083209.jpg

This is far more, and far earlier, than I usually eat for breakfast. Now I want to go into a food coma! But I'm waiting on a service call -- which is of course open-ended, both for the start and finish times.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown