• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

Peach and blackberry cobbler with a short cut .  While the oven is coming to temperature, I make the biscuit base but pop the fruit into the microwave until it’s nice and bubbly. This doesn’t take very long in the micro, then the cobbler topping is scooped on and placed in a 425* convection bake oven.  This takes about 12/13 minutes in my oven to bake.  

IMG_6685.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dinner for breakfast again.
GrilledPorkchopsbreakfastJuly5th2024.thumb.jpg.72d5b3342122127e36b459b3a2f2fb28.jpg

Didn't cook it last night so made it this morning. Everything was cooked on the grill.
Pork chops and zucchini directly on the grill and the potato gratin in chicken broth in a cast iron skillet
and the butternut squash was also done on the grill in a small cast iron skillet.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

This morning I enjoyed a bowl of cornmeal porridge with Kampot black pepper and a bit of pecorino romano, Panamanian Don Bosco coffee, and fresh, home made spinach and apple juice, nice and cold.

• Like 3

... Shel

Posted (edited)

Hassan's Eggs: Based on a recipe from Sami Tamimi's father, Hassan, these are boiled and halved eggs drizzled with Cugini's EVOO and lemon juice, sprinkled with Diamond Crystal salt, Quang Tri black pepper, a locally-made (Oaktown Spice Shop) Za'atar blend, and a mixture of Urfa and Aleppo pepper flakes.  Nice with a dark, rich Ethiopian coffee and leftover pita bread to sop up the juices.

Edited by Shel_B
Clarity and specificity (log)
  • Like 4

... Shel

My husband makes bagels, which we slice and freeze after eating the first couple. My job is to help shape and dip in seasoning after they come out of the water bath.  I also mix up our “everything” blend. Last week he made sourdough bagels and they have now supplanted his previous best bagel recipe. These keep their height better, and have a great flavor and texture. Yum.

I had this one with eggs. Next time he’s not around some lox will find its way home. 

IMG_1795.jpeg

IMG_1794.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

On 7/6/2024 at 5:36 PM, NadyaDuke said:

I also mix up our “everything” blend.

Would you please share our mix for your "everthing" blend. 

NicoiseSaladJuly8th2024.thumb.jpg.380ba5c43866815582b14fab0e336a89.jpg

I had planned to make a Nicoise salad for dinner last night, but that didn't happen. So I made Moe a bastardized version for breakfast.

Going to be another above season hot day here on the west coast, so meals are going to be simple.

Will probably do a steak or something on the grill for dinner.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

@Ann_T Here's the rough formula. Black sesame seeds are not a must, they're just fun. What I've found is getting the salt and garlic right to your taste is key and the rest is more flexible - i.e. I might swap some sesame seeds for poppy seeds or add a bit more of one or the other based on what I have. 

It may be obvious but just in case:  minced onion and garlic are not the same as granulated onion and garlic, which are finer and more powdery. Minced looks like small dried pieces. 

2 tbs poppy seeds (white, black or a mix)
2 tbs black sesame seeds
2 tbs sesame seeds
1 tbs minced onion
1.5 tbs minced garlic
1T + 1  tsp flakey kosher salt

• Like 3

@NadyaDuke  - we had a Saturday morning bagel tasting some time ago.  Three different well regarded bagel places in town.  The sourdough bagels won hands down.  They may not be “traditional”, but they simply tasted the best! 

One recent morning breakfast was just an ET bagel from the freezer with cream cheese:

IMG_8099.JPG.d75dc5a2cbd665041531470155ee66b6.JPG

IMG_8137.jpg.873a860052bea61a49335cc98ac15333.jpg

Banana bread.  I couldn’t decide whether I wanted butter or not, so I cut the slice in half and buttered one half.  Still can’t decide which is better.

Fourth of July b’fast was eggs and this:

IMG_8144.JPG.da4121fa470530f551697376c00fb6c1.JPG

It was supposed to be Monkey bread, but it fell apart a bit.  It was a Pillsbury whomp product.  It was fine, but not as good as one I made before with whomp biscuits, cinnamon sugar, and butter. 

Dropped my sister off early at the train station one morning and coming back, I couldn’t resist:

IMG_8162.JPG.ea786b9d9b14d2a3bd75406a501c48eb.JPG

A biscuit and gravy and an egg and sausage biscuit.  It took a while but I finished every bite.  I’d forgotten how large their biscuits are. 😊

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Desk breakfast - Macintosh apple, Dave's Killer Bread with almond butter.

bfast.jpg

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

A throwback breakfast to when “poached egg and avocado’ was very popular. I still like it and still make it. 

9A5A5127-FE3D-474C-975D-0EED549F6F89.jpeg.7887e60a7e530db8c2f8a1fc6892c29a.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Beans on toast, Caesar-style:

561E8F47-EA61-49E1-89CA-C84B8F567BDA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9a18e8a325272a4fc145438c29afb12e.jpeg

Rancho Gordo caballero beans tossed with Caesar dressing and chopped little gem lettuce, spooned on toast rubbed with garlic and brushed with olive oil and butter and topped with Parmesan.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

皮蛋瘦肉粥 (pí dàn shòu ròu zhōu), Century Egg and Lean Pork Congee. Industrial strength black Yunnan Coffee.

breakfast.thumb.jpg.eced0f6b47f3b1de6e4cf6e0764a3db8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I woke up a little early this morning, made coffee, then sat out on the deck watching the sunrise and listening to the birds starting with the owl next door, the rooster about a km. away and all the others.

Breakfast was an egg, blood sausage, pepper jack, shishito and green onion on multigrain rye with a salad of greens, cucumber, grape tomatoes and shaved baby chioggia beets. A shot of gazpacho and a mix of kiwi, navel and cara cara orange.

French toast with blueberries and maple syrup and sausage earlier in the week.

July162024.thumb.JPG.6931928664fcfe79af6e215603d2163e.JPGEggBloodSausageandPepperJackonMultigrainwithSalad.thumb.JPG.3cd4f8c8289464e503c8d9a9a02efdf8.JPGFrenchToastSausageandBlueberries.thumb.JPG.2562729730b0996e618c8825220081ca.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Ingredients for this morning's breakfast wrap: eggs, pepper jack, oyster and cremini mushrooms, shishito and Thai peppers, red onion and tops and a mix of cilantro, globe basil and chives in a WW tortilla. Glass of V8 and a mix of kiwi and orange.

DSCN2311.thumb.JPG.d60adab67047a0eee688ff029d1633e6.JPGDSCN2314.thumb.JPG.d5a42fcb7da2e0689b839a56132d69e4.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot