• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Other Spain: Mucho Volcanes, Mucho Sol (and Papas Arrugadas!)

BonVivant

Si! Mi gusta!

Just got in last night and exhausted, only had time for beer. Just putting this here now, more later of course.

We are going to do some walking on La Palma but it's winter and can be wet so we are at the mercy of the weather god here.
Xo75lNR.jpg

But first we feast!
JtoIkFH.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Si! Mi gusta!

Just got in last night and exhausted, only had time for beer. Just putting this here now, more later of course.

We are going to do some walking on La Palma but it's winter and can be wet so we are at the mercy of the weather god here.
Xo75lNR.jpg

But first we feast!
JtoIkFH.jpg

Really looking forward to this.  My wife and I have been looking into Lanzarote for some time in teh future

• Like 1

Passing through Tenerife South airport. Glad I am on my way to somewhere else, though. Airport is much too busy for an island. Tells you enough about the high volume of visitors.

iuwTwv3.jpg

Millions upon millions of sun-deprived northern Europeans descend on Canary Islands annually for the sun and beaches. Here is a tour op's personnel waiting for another plane to land bringing more (northern) tourists.

mFiMvfX.jpg

Below the rows of palm trees one sees (probably) hundreds of coaches from holiday resorts parked outside the airport's entrance. The coaches are not really visible on purpose.

1sZwbVq.jpg

Glad to be going to somewhere else! Tenerife is the most developed, busy and full of packaged tourists.

VFL1YPE.jpg

Very dark now. Waiting to for clearance to take off.

t7LDPCC.jpg

It's a short flight (30-40minutes, methinks). Only have energy and time for beer when we get to our lodging.
Tenerifean beer. Available on all Canary islands.

fJ4sRho.jpg

From Madrid but owned by Heineken

EqzRsvD.jpg

From 1 of the 2 craft beer breweries on La Palma. "La Isla Verde" is the name of this brewery, but La Palma is also known as La Isla Verde (another one is La Isla Bonita, nothing to do with that Madonna song).

64IGh49.jpg

The amazing Canary Islands!

89AybcB.jpg

Physical map of La Palma. It's the most seismically active in the archipelago.

VWhfUQr.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Interesting.  I gather it's like that in the main city area, but I've read that the rest of the island is almost tourist free or at the least, sparsely populated, so that's where we'd be headed.  Maybe it's like Reykjavic and Iceland in general?  I'll definitely look into it more before making any concrete plans.  Thank you for the heads up.

Yes, my recollection is that the island is OK away from the city, but for obvious reasons my brother's place was in the city and that is what I was thinking of. I only visited once.

He moved to Mallorca where he now has three restaurants and not so many drunken idiots.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Canarian bananas have PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) status in "Europe". They came to the archipelago from Equatorial Guinea via the Portuguese. Madeiran bananas are smaller and came from Macau, also brought by the Portuguese. Interestingly, Madeiran bananas are refused protected geographical indication by the EU due to the size. Madeirans think it's utterly ridiculous.
ekwA9OK.jpg

Canarian milk kefir and yoghurt. All the 3 fruits are grown on La Palma.
VI6ks3X.jpg

I also brought my Lebkuchen and chocolate from home. Hard to find 99% chocolate in many countries so I have to bring it myself.
YwNUu3x.jpg

First thing in the morning we check out the city's tiny market today. These dried peppers are used in Canarian mojo roja (red sauce). But these big ones are not hot.
RQRTxWI.jpg

At the next stall they have the real deal, for spicy "mojo picante". Palmerans are proud of their spicy sauce. Whilst these sauces are very Canarian (appear at every meal on all the islands), the Palmeran chillies are what make it a bit more special on La Palma.   
meMsm2e.jpg

However, the much smaller bag contains the spiciest chillies. The seller stresses "muy, muy picante!". I have to buy both. Can't be hotter than Mexican chillies.
1107FI4.jpg

As mention, the market is tiny, there's no mounds of fruits and vegetables to draw your attention.
L0jAevk.jpg

I find out it's a kind of gingerroot but very bitter and very medicinal.
BEKcvs1.jpg

I buy a small piece of this young goat's cheese for later.
SoRNNYI.jpg

Painted sign on footpath. Arms and legs are open wide.
w2eabo9.jpg

Next few photos are of typical streets in the capital Santa Cruz
t9LEvnY.jpg

La Palma is known for its pretty balconies (and many goat's cheeses, bananas, volcanoes, and more).
mng6fL3.jpg

Before I forget, apparently, I stress apparently, La Palma is the world's steepest island. Others say "steepest" is debatable. But for now it is the steepest, officially. Walking anywhere just here in town and you go up and down all the time, but mostly up and steep, indeed. Some streets are so steep I have to use force to grip the surface by pressing my feet down firmly. Wouldn't want to go out in the rain here.
J6VdlyG.jpg

Roofs with wild plants on them the houses are usually abandoned. Some are hard to tell if they are occupied or not, though. Like this one.
t4HroWg.jpg

Empty winter beach. It's a volcanic island. The sand is completely black everywhere. Hotter in the summer then?
9y7gfti.jpg

A small area for wheelchair users. I support changes to accommodate wheelchair users.
nUZxJvt.jpg

It's a city beach. The town is directly behind the beach, separated by the main avenue. I like the breaching whale.
vvSQ69L.jpg

I notice a fortress-like construction in my immediate neighbourhood. The barbed wire rig on the very high surrounding walls is quite serious. Then I look up at the windows and they remind me of prison windows anywhere. So we have to find out... this is the front of the building. It's a prison after all, and right in my neighbourhood.
H5pzXnB.jpg

i87lDS0.jpg

Pick up some food to eat back in the flat. Octopus salad in vinegar.
RWKzPhM.jpg

Jamon Iberico
NtxmbLo.jpg

giqfUwp.jpg

Young goat's cheese, mildly smoked. I should change the thread title to "queso de cabra" (minus "papas arrugadas"). La Palma has many types of goat's cheeses. I'm in goat's cheese paradise. (If @Smithyreads this, can you please change the thread title?)
mlUbgPt.jpg

La Palma has 2 craft breweries, this is one of them.
Af7SsBm.jpg

The other Palmeran brewery
RLInwcv.jpg

From Gran Canaria, widely available in the archipelago.
q21599V.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

The steepest island I ever hiked was Scarp.  Can't say there was much food to be had there though.  One kind woman invited me for milk warm from her cow.  Others shared tea and biscuits.  The inhabitants thought that I was English.  They had never seen an American before.  English people speak funny anyhow.

Thank you, @BonVivant for your travelogues.  They are most appreciated.  And I have to say I envy you.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

You see this cover every few steps. There are really a lot of these in the capital.
7N1gNHJ.jpg

Drivers here are skilled at negotiating the many narrow stone roads. I must step to the side when a car approaches, the width of the road is barely wider than the car. Also, if not used to walking on stones (and going uphill at the same time) your feet will be sore at the end of the day.
BlsuFXH.jpg

BRMjP9h.jpg

The many small stairs and passages that link the steep roads. Elderly people and everyone else just get on with it.
QLZTYUX.jpg

WZRDRIj.jpg

Knocker
ooEugXi.jpg

Lunch in the rain.

Just want a simple salad but order the "loaded" one by mistake.
7Hif5zR.jpg

Papas arrugadas (potatoes cooked in sea salt and left to dry out a little). Always eaten with a sauce ("mojo"). Very typical Canarian.
JNPVBwh.jpg

Very nice spicy sauce.
Adiq58o.jpg

Another Canarian classic is morena frito (deep fried moray eel, with bones and skin).
3sDCJ0q.jpg

I don't make rice at home, the partner has to order rice elsewhere... We eat some of the paella and take the rest back for the next day.
2yXdb5U.jpg

There's a beeeeautiful classic BMW parked steps from my building. Rare to see such a beauty.
x51v05P.jpg

GVgEgYV.jpg

xfJqCqR.jpg

Cool windscreen wipers.
fezqJMJ.jpg

zBJ9ilY.jpg

Thanks, Jo!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

Back to the market because I need more cheese and fruits. I notice many cheeses are lightly smoked, also the young kind. Cheeses produced on other Canary Islands are common on La Palma, especially from Gran Canaria, and some from Lanzarote that I recognise.
oneGgHg.jpg

DXt7BbW.jpg

N46rj22.jpg

Good looking island grown beans
pfHVuG6.jpg

P9Koatb.jpg

EWiEtCD.jpg

oPNCPQw.jpg

YXSVUxY.jpg

New potatoes (La Palma grown). There are specks of rosé on the peel.
L4fNDcj.jpg

Winter tomatoes
e9cCjIQ.jpg

A tight passage to some houses. The front doors are half the size of our doors at home. A few hundred years ago many things were small, people included.
YpAVfNg.jpg

Stones on a footpath are meticulously arranged in a certain pattern.
4Ldratb.jpg

I'm glad I have no one to think sweetly of.
7vR30Zn.jpg

One of many typical steep streets in the capital.
ni3WIW5.jpg

The best beach is an empty one.
nBO3gtp.jpg

Every morning I eat half a papaya and 1 big avocado (plus other things). Then another avocado sometime in the afternoon. This island produces a few fruits such as papaya, avocado, banana (most important), mango, guava, citrus, loquat, fig, prickly pear, apples, pear, cherry and many more!). But let me tell you about the avocados grown on this island... it's literally like eating a block of butter. So creamy, so dense, so rich you need to take a pause half way. On par with high quality Mexican avocados that I enjoy eating so much there. Also, islanders want you to know they eat lots of avocados, long before the hipsters. Chileans told me the same. They even put avocado in fast food in Chile. I'm taking some La Palma avocados home. Originally I had planned to bring goat cheeses back but now also avocados.
UT61Xog.jpg

2 new goat's cheeses. Left is strong and hard, right is rich and creamy (firm).
Ql6vsLb.jpg

The middle sardine is huge. All 3 have roe.
UQF5BNl.jpg

IQybtZl.jpg

Another golden ale, from island's own craft brewery La Isla Verde.
S3VUlNi.jpg

This other island craft brewery hardly says anything about their beer. Very little information is provided, even on their website.
4RHdbZE.jpg

The last beer and in the background are all the beers we drink thus far.
roR9mrH.jpg

Moving on to a small village in the mountain in the south of the island the next day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Delicious 2

We are leaving the capital Santa Cruz and moving on to the southern part of the island.
Santa Cruz (photo found online)
LfYKuJp.jpg

We are now in a village (population just a little over 200) in the mountain. It's a dizzying, steep ride to reach the village from the capital Santa Cruz. The village has one restaurant (not sure it's even open, and even then surely not for lunch) and no shop here so we need to take the first walk to the next town called Fuencaliente. All doubts about La Palma being the steepest island in the world are instantly vanished as soon as we start walking. The climb starts literally across the street from our lodging and it doesn't stop until we reach our destination. My favourite exercise in the gym in the stair machine and it's clear it's absolutely no match for this! I enjoy walking on inclines but this is just brutal.

Our base village, basking in Canarian sunny splendour.
Txsozbt.jpg

One will quickly notice the common/popular plants in people's gardens. One of them is these heavy flower heads, sweet smelling and thus attracting lots of bees.
jK4Ec8Q.jpg

QcDYGap.jpg

Fuencaliente is a small town, it has 2 supermarkets, 2 cafes and 2 pizzarias.
SdrVK1w.jpg

A roundabout is this tree in the middle of the intersection.
6DwNViW.jpg

Big bags of Palmeran chillies for making mojo rojo (not spicy kind) sold at a butcher's shop.
PjVXy22.jpg

One of the things we pick up is potatoes. For papas arrugadas you use this variety only. It's either half waxy or very waxy (at least in my experience). Most Canarian islands grow their own potatoes but Tenerife is the biggest producer and their potatoes are most commonly found in supermarkets.
mb8E4dx.jpg

1yhcUMz.jpg

We also make a quick visit to a local winery to pick up a few bottles. I get to taste a few wines, too.
EewYnp9.jpg

Malvasia is mainly produced in this southern part of the island. I also have a taste of the sweet wine (background, in the middle) but not sure if I want to buy it. Mayby KennethT would, though.

VzXQA8W.jpg

Want to buy this one but it's not possible. They harvested the grapes during the most recent volcanic eruption, enough to make about 1 thousands bottles, which were sold out quickly. This is the last bottle just for show.
9KSeUIh.jpg

Looks like a giant tin
mJzGLa7.jpg

Wineries here are small, nothing on a massive industrial scale like in some countries.

j0JHZKK.jpg

xw01ZIC.jpg

Lunch at a bar-cafe that also serves simple home-style (Canarian) dishes. For the first plate, I have "Bratwurst" in mind when I see "salchichas", but what's in front of me is actually something a lot like hot dog. (I don't recognise names or some dishes here, makes it a quite a bit harder to order). Anyhow, I try one piece just to make sure. Yep, it's hot dog. The partner has to eat it all.
Ij6ioGY.jpg

So now I know when it says "ensalada mixta" it's this. Lettuce, sweetcorn, pickled carrots and pickled beetroots. At least it's not doused in a mayo based dressing (I would not touch it in that case). Vinegar and olive oil on the side if needed.
UGu8AwP.jpg

Very nice braised beef. The meat shreds like threads, how we like it. The beef has a strong beefy smell. Beef at home they make sure it doesn't smell.
R2f3POk.jpg

Many people have citrus trees in the garden and they are full of fruit right now.
K0xtdxj.jpg

That's the bus stop steps from my lodging. Someone's little garden is next to it. I see a citrus tree, squash/pumpkin plants, peppers (capsicum) and other vegetables.
QJFblhE.jpg

On left with white walls is lodging owners' house (right across from my place). Very typical La Palma style.
VDOAstN.jpg

Mine is also Palmeran in style. It's small and cozy. We like it. The photos show you what a little house on La Palma looks like inside and out.
3EkP3cx.jpg

DXCYeAZ.jpg

oJ9EWDe.jpg

The kitchen looks OK but can't really cook anything other than simple 1-pot meals.
kazSx8Z.jpg

First wine from the winery a few kilometres from here that we visited earlier.
x0H2khf.jpg

I have 2 pots at my disposal, only 1 has a lid. You'll see something simple like this pasta with red sauce for the rest of my time here so don't have high expectations.
g6KgzzB.jpg

Golden hour pasta and a local wine. So that's my first home-cooked meal since I got here. How happy we are to be here on La Palma!
lpI6n0w.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Delicious 1

First real walk today and it's to the southern tip of the island where a lighthouse and the salinas are located. It's one of the most popular walks. Rightly so. It's a beautiful walk. Nice that we can start walking directly from the front door. Takes 2 hours walking leisurely and me taking my time making photos.

Vineyards in my village, on the way to the start of the walk. Notice the vines are very low-laying hanging over a support frame with wires. But not all vines are grown like this. Also common is having no support at all. They all lie on the ground and spreading in all over. On Santorini they bend the vines as they grow into the form of a round "basket". I don't see that here.
Tg4XX5Z.jpg

More about wine production in this part of the island. And FYI, Malvasia ("Malmsey") was brought to many islands from Crete.
0QRwVTm.jpg

oce1Eky.jpg

La Palma is a walker's paradise. The first of the Canary Islands to implement standard European system for signposting and waymarking routes. Always good to see these markings, confirms that you are on course. The island realised there's a large number of tourists arriving here on walking holidays so they set out to clear, improve and signpost many routes. This is how you attracts the walkers. Indeed. Now they come in droves to walk, and the reason we are here.
jO3gHQ4.jpg

Many routes are centuries old, they link villages that islanders used to use.
EbE8zQW.jpg

I like this one. On a chunk of lava rock.
hM1Cbb9.jpg

gHBlN5l.jpg

Has been here since 1677. This looks like a pile of...
J59VZlB.jpg

Finally, the lighthouse and the salinas (saltworks).
9Skqd5I.jpg

La Palma produces its own salt. A family business, the work is all manual. This is the last stage, crystallisation pools.
JdXMJxI.jpg

Right next to the wild Atlantic
vtUo0fK.jpg

The island produces a lot more white wines. This local winery currently has a shortage of red wine due to the volcanic eruption that devastated not only banana plantations but also some vineyards.
yobEeny.jpg

LusV9NQ.jpg

We eat left over pasta with this lightly smoked young cheese given by the owners of our lodging. Firm like hard tofu and a little squeaky.
hOuMmyw.jpg

Di1hPAJ.jpg

And new 2 beers. Finally, an IPA. Piripi is a "tripel", strong dark ale.
MEurj8D.jpg

This morning, seen from my balcony.
xY4e2EM.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 12/24/2023 at 2:58 PM, BonVivant said:

So now I know when it says "ensalada mixta" it's this. Lettuce, sweetcorn, pickled carrots and pickled beetroots.

This is interesting to me; all the salads we had las month while in Spain proper were basically lettuce and sweet onions. 

And at one of our favorite local restaurants, I often order wine from the Canary Islands...https://cervosnyc.com/2/

Though don't tell me what the markup is, or I'll get aggravated!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Another nice walk today to Volcan Teneguia.
HIIpGiW.jpg

6HmtXem.jpg

A hairy, velvety succulent that grows like a huge dandelion. (There's also giant dandelion that grows as big as a tree, btw, but that's something else.)
yzIZkok.jpg

Beehive boxes surrounded by vineyards.
DBZDzET.jpg

This whole area is full of vineyards as far as the eye can see. The ash path is between the vineyards (visible on the right) and the vines on the ground are next to the walking path. Because of the strong winds they don't use vertical shoot positioned trellis systems like in many other places.
BBSJAcz.jpg

We are happiest when in nature, alone.
HWWcBpX.jpg

Volcan Teneguia. Last eruption was in 1971.
yyVbjNB.jpg

Standing next to the rim of the crater.
q8VEK1a.jpg

A smaller crater nearby but not really visible from the lower walking path.
xFZlX5f.jpg

The wonders of nature.
UF8VinM.jpg

Back in the village, always going uphill. Does not look so steep in the photo but it is. Wild flowers on the road.
HyjeSqT.jpg

Wine from Bodega Teneguia a few kilometres from here. There's nothing on the front label.
hMySINM.jpg

Palmeran-style spicy chilli paste. We like it more than the red mojo on Lanzarote (not spicy enough). The chillies grown on La Palma are one of the factors that makes the mojos taste good.
PnSCB9K.jpg

Fish (merluza/hake)
J2nNWPp.jpg

Weinoo, wine is cheap here. Must be ridiculously cheap for you New Yorkers (sorry, yes the markup probably is huge. Ouch). Small-scale productions, high quality, manual work. Shouldn't be this cheap. We are enjoying the wine verymuch. Never see it again at home.

I forgot, there's a slice of onion buried underneath it all. But it's not sweet onion, I limit myself to 1 single ring.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Doing some local walks today to 2 villages in opposite directions. Streets are so crazy steep everywhere in the villages it's not really a good idea but we still want to do it. We can see more by walking. You don't usually see villagers walking up and down these steep streets to exercise or for fun. They all drive or being driven.

DIY wheel choke. I can imagine you also need regular brake maintenance here.
S7AqTy4.jpg

A steep drop behind the palm trees. There's a house behind the big tree, no neighbours.
7QbZkQo.jpg

There are a few abandoned houses/vineyards/vehicles around. A rusty classic Rand Rover. A quick search tells me Santana was around in the 80's.
lEqXZJj.jpg

2LiEDzH.jpg

It's quite OK that garden plants lean into the walking paths or road here. In some countries you might be told by your neighbours or the municipality to do something about it.
eWJwuFU.jpg

This interesting tree and its flowers or seeds.
1Jge9iv.jpg

Growing fruits and vegs like bananas and squashes in own gardens is normal on these islands. I just never can tell the types of squashes.
zCOohrR.jpg

Some houses are far away from the street. You don't see the houses anywhere nearby but you see letterboxes.
7swWjc0.jpg

oeSAg3y.jpg

It's a long way down and steep. You are looking at banana plantations (some have covers) and a huge hotel complex with multiple outdoor pools.
D0El7IJ.jpg

If comes down to fruits and flowers then Madeira wins big time. But then again, it's not for nothing Madeira is known as "flower island" or "flower garden in the ocean". But, I don't remember seeing these eye-catching aloe blooms on Madeira. Like most big flowers here, this is buzzing with bees.
ZwN08vC.jpg

A few steps from my lodging
gmwoBcm.jpg

Back at mi casita for a break and lunch. Pan de jamon, filled with smoked ham, olives, raisins and cheese.

HnS6kBK.jpg

psECoJK.jpg

Available in the last week of December only.
qyTYqD1.jpg

After a rest and lunch we walk to another village but most of the photos in the second set are taken in my base village en route. Bird of paradise are super common on Madeira, here they are a bit rare.
LcXUmE9.jpg

Firm exterior and unopen, like a capsule, you can see moisture inside.
XxrRmfW.jpg

Volcanic Malvasia grapes. This part of the island grows the most Malvasia. However, it's the first time seeing them still on the vines here so far. As if the harvester had left them behind on purpose.
iwMYKpt.jpg

Another uncommon sight: vertical rows of vines. It does exist after all, on my street no less.
KI6qe5c.jpg

La Palma (LP) motorway number/code and vertical rows of vines. (Also on my street.)
6fl3UQY.jpg

Big La Palma style houses amongst the vineyards.
CsESNwi.jpg

We walk to the next village using this volcano route. No new photos as we have done a walk to this volcano the other day.
8HYyHKr.jpg

On Lanzarote every municipality has its own style of bus stop. On La Palma they are all the same. Volcanic rock construction with La Palma style tile roof.
hUIinuC.jpg

Check out this genius' own vineyard on his/her shed roof(s).
egFfqZf.jpg

Seen from the side.
xD7lbGV.jpg

All white house, unoccupied.
hjq2ONG.jpg

I couldn't have picked a better island (to walk), a better village, and a better lodging. Some locals stick their hand out the car window to give us a thumb up as we walk slowly up these steep streets. This is the kind of steep streets we walk up and down every day. You only see the sea from some distance away because the incline is stupid steep.
YoshmQW.jpg

U8H6762.jpg

XspEYPa.jpg

Zvnza6w.jpg

A simple dinner when we are back at the lodging. Beef with potatoes and roasted vegetables.
ldW81UM.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We take one day break from walking to rest and to have a look at another town. Los Llanos is the most populous city on La Palma and only 45 minutes by bus (but first we will have to walk sharply uphill for 45 minutes to catch that bus). The mountain road is in good condition but the young driver drives much too fast. Vertiginous, plunging ravines and the bus going right through lava from an eruption 2 years ago are the "fun" stuff on this bus ride.

Heavy duty construction vehicles are still hard at work 2 years on. They managed to clear the main road and repaved it like new, plus a lot of new lava has been removed. Local and intercity traffic was back to normal only months ago. I was told it took so long because the lava was still hot to do anything. Some photos I've seen the lava and ashes reached the top of the front doors of houses.

Photos taken from the bus. It's about twice the height of the bus!
6l0FL8V.jpg

All the black stuff is new lava. The crater is still smouldering. The surface area of new lava is 3km wide and 5km long (iirc).
BPbYxUK.jpg

The bus ticketing system is efficient. Taking the bus is cheap but departures are not every (half an) hour. Infrastructure is good. 45min ride costs E.2,60.
iesbdfr.jpg

Los Llanos is a nice city with good (food) shopping options (but still, just keep in mind that this is a small island).
KYkmvTM.jpg

Single benches
u2R6Ppn.jpg

nRpXmuy.jpg

I enjoy finding new and interesting plants in a new place. A tree with big, dense flowers that hang upside down. The bloom clusters look a lot like hortensia. Very pretty, especially in pastel pink.
2fI1xo5.jpg

Not as common as the usual green/yellow kind. Returned 2 days later to buy them but they were all gone.
62nuAOf.jpg

For roasting chestnuts. This one has a very long handle. There's another one with a short handle.
UaspgGg.jpg

Some beer before catching the bus back. Gobsmacked when it's time to pay the bill. E1,50 a beer. At home you can't get anything for 1,50 in a sit-down cafe with service. Maybe you can have some hot water but no tea for 1,50.
P6CkEy1.jpg

ilDPq04.jpg

I didn't bring any cooking equipment on this trip ((a mistake, also decided to leave the sous vide stick at home at the last minute). Well, I'm using these now.
GGDncB5.jpg

VnMszUA.jpg

Every. day. It's middle of winter and miserable at home.
yyTXsrT.jpg

Malvasia aromatica from a local bodega. They don't send wines in these non-standard bottles to the supermarkets. They all cost over E20 so are considered "expensive".
BCZ5vTe.jpg
NK92jLF.jpg

Poached tuna, spicy mixed vegetables and wrinkled potatoes.
6p2ErEi.jpg

Los Llanos, my base village and the capital Santa Cruz. Red area is the lava flow path. (Photos found online)
btUx2qA.jpg

The map of La Palma has changed.
zY7BBiE.jpg

People and businesses that were affected are still suffering 2 years on. They are living in temporary housing. They have lost everything. There are foreigners who live here (including German transplants or long-termers) who have also lots everything.

Danger in paradise is never far away.
iwZ41Mz.jpg

So eerie
B4hec03.jpg

La Palma is full of volcanoes and is the most seismically active of all the Canary islands.

QUqFc3G.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

The walk today is to Volcan Martin. Nice walk in the cool Canarian pine forest, away from the sun. Going up and up and up much of the route.The start is right in the small town (in another municipality) from where we catch the bus to other places. I've mentioned before, La Palma appreciates the tourists who have come to walk.

Thank you for choosing La Palma.
0n5Fk6g.jpg

Thank you for preserving this natural beauty so we can enjoy. (A feral cat already gets a head start.)
XrysbQS.jpg

It's cool and quiet in the pine forest. But make no mistake, the terrain changes all the time. Also, the long Canarian pine needles can be slippery underfoot so you must be careful.
3Vt0Q39.jpg

Almost every pine tree has a scorched trunk. As if there has been a fierce fire. Fierce enough that the char reveals how thick the barks are. Some trunks have turned into coals completely, like the kind you use for bbq'ing.
Lv3us5y.jpg

Chatted with a young Vietnamese-French outside a supermarket on a previous day about his cycling tour. He left his home town Paris in October and has been biking through Spain, Portugal, Tenerife and now La Palma. He will return to Tenerife soon and somehow must make it to Morocco. Ran into him again twice on the trail. He thought the path would be OK to bike on. Big mistake. He had to push his bike all the way. I said to him "it's the best time of your life right now. Being on own, no wife, no school, no worries. Enjoy!" People who bike on La Palma are hardcore. It's windy and crazy steep. Walking and taking the bus is enough of a challenge for us.
HFY5rbZ.jpg

Volcan Martin...
C9f3g4l.jpg

Back in town now. I like to check out what kind of seeds are for sale, wherever I go.
ytOPcsy.jpg

Just looked this up. Don't think I would enjoy eating this giant pumpkin.
7buIIGy.jpg

Traditional wine press. Still being used on this island.
7RHJGt4.jpg

Too bad about the many fruit trees in abandoned gardens.
PRTc4xe.jpg

Dark blue, light blue, and white.
PqO8Kl7.jpg

This donkey always comes running every time I pass by. I make a clicking sound with my tongue and she remembers. She makes a very loud sound whilst running towards me. Why is that? She's very sweet, lets me stroke her thick fur and then I must be on my way again. She's warm (as in temperature). I enjoy our brief encounter every day on the way to the trail or the town.
lj1q1Rb.jpg

2 new craft beer from La Isla Verde brewery.
asN1SUA.jpg

Tomato sauce with prawns and hake with pasta for golden hour dinner.
higdI5y.jpg

JwE8TY8.jpg

Thanks, @TdeV. Happy new year to you and eG members!
ywERsEA.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Partner wants to visit the craft beer brewery in a village a little farther up on the west coast. But first we need to catch the same bus to Los Llanos like the other day. Have 2 hours to kill before taking another bus to the brewery so we buy some lunch stuff and eat on a bench.

My favourite, and I don't like sweets. Make an exception for flan (in Spain only, Mexican flan is too firm, probably won't break if you drop it).
lEIIBfY.jpg

10r9a1M.jpg

Spread avocado on bread just like butter.
qSirRPm.jpg

Corn bread is bright yellow on the inside.
9teTjlg.jpg

Some pastries, too. Brioche, ham & cheese, chicken empanada.
4Zp4gaW.jpg

The bus to El Jesus village is horrible. Up and down, round and round. Why don't they build a bridge somewhere on the lower level, though. But the views are nice. If there's a suitable surface they will surely turn it into a banana plantation. From this side you can also see the smouldering crater and the lava flow path.
YcOko6F.jpg

dy2ip2s.jpg

It's a tiny, teeny brewery housed inside this former small house.
QexdRMU.jpg

Finally, craft beers on taps.
sOCCcnt.jpg

v1YNo1E.jpg

B4grQ7b.jpg

The "trappist"-style glasses are not of good quality. Very light and each one is not exactly the same. Looks like lens distortion but it's the glass.
umw6Za1.jpg

5 glasses of craft beer from taps cost me E.10. Gobsmacked again.
IiAK7kv.jpg

The beers we try. None "great" tasting but not totally crap, either. Wouldn't take a nauseous bus ride here to drink the beer again, though. The island wines are far more superior. But glad we give it a go, so now we know.
AoTZTmi.jpg

g4TeWTs.jpg

ToE1k1m.jpg

Small bakery (we buy their Pan de Jamon and other baked goods). Reminds me of Mexico. Hand-painted everything.
u4gOqcW.jpg

Jenny the donkey and her eye lashes.
ceNSQ0w.jpg

Food back at the lodging later.
vDvgtZd.jpg

aHrwt1q.jpg

SrmPXng.jpg

6yKPzO9.jpg

EAhbUoB.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

A new walking route today and it's an easy one to El Charco village.

The village life round these parts.
rKVdI2J.jpg

xrA7SV3.jpg

Along our daily route. Takes half an hour just to reach this point because it's so steep (by car only 5 minutes or less). After this it's another 15 minute climb to the next village's centre. To walk on the rim of Volcan Antonio's crater it costs E.8,00.
q7HUlSR.jpg

Another half an hour walk steeply uphill to the mirador and you can see the crater from there.
aNmoF4H.jpg

Jenny the donkey comes running again. She looks at me directly and observes me for a long time every time. Never aggressive in any way. Sweet creature. There should be a law that you must keep at least 2 animals so that they can be friends and have someone to interact with!
DQnS5AJ.jpg

Also along my daily route. Too bad we are unable to eat anything here. Looks like they are closed for the holidays, or only open in high season.
kVTFP59.jpg

Lanzarote has strict regulations regarding the styles of architecture, height of buildings/houses and colours you can use. La Palma apparently doesn't. New houses and flats can be in any style and have any colours, so I notice. In this case I support those restrictions imposed by the government of Lanzarote. I find it more beautiful there to photograph the houses. Stark white, traditional-style lava stone houses. It's like going back in time there.
UXGwhoS.jpg

Yes, it's a vineyard on La Palma.
gopt7cx.jpg

Another vineyard in the area. The photo does not convey the steepness of the slope.
M0opcvX.jpg

Now seen from the side
RM0zyJH.jpg

Taking a break after almost 3 hours of walking, to eat these biscuits (almonds and raisins, from the little bakery in town. Everything looks home-baked, small-scale productions).
pFKkiMZ.jpg

Farther along the route on the way down, at this point one can see Los Llanos and the town before it and the black lava flow path.
Ga8V5r5.jpg

After reaching the end of the route we don't want to wait 1 and a half hours for the next bus so we walk all the way back, taking the new and safe path next to the road. The partner's phone records 30 thousand steps from start to finish (from the time of leaving and returning to the house). Apparently, that is about 22km/13,6mi.
24ifyan.jpg

And as soon as we get back.... beer. "Dunkel Bock" (dark bock style beer)
L1vYEQe.jpg

OEkIElG.jpg

"Ungrafted bush vines. Vocanic sand, silt, and clay."
bMfpTTR.jpg

Dinner is a big pot of lentils with mince and vegetables.
vdpAY2Q.jpg

Thank you, Shelby and TdeV! (I have the next day photos ready, for tomorrow.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

We have done all the possible walks in the area, but this one takes the biscuit. Would not recommend it to anyone. Starts out easy and nice, going down and down most of the time. Then the part where we have to leave the easy path and hit a rough trail it all goes to hell from there.

A hamlet on lava rocks
iuN2vVH.jpg

Near vertical vineyards
ARye7aB.jpg

Lots of new vineyards in this area. (Might want to zoom in to read the texts)
GE4GGAY.jpg

That long line that looks like a path through the vineyards is actually an irrigation channel. I've seen photos online of idiots walking on top of it. It's not a walking path!
jw53cls.jpg

I don't like landscape photography, unless it's some kind of magnificent isolation, without a human face in it. A road through the bad land ("Malpais").
X04xO2j.jpg

Native to Canary Islands. I buy some other sub species of daisy in the summer, here they grow everywhere like a weed.
8NJVrex.jpg

wlfRaJS.jpg

A big hawk moth warming up its wings before taking flight.
OFTyrRj.jpg

No neighbours
hp5dSZH.jpg

La Gomera island is visible on the horizon. It's between Tenerife and El Hierro, both are also visible.
D2BZpSt.jpg

NBigRWE.jpg

My favourite photo on this walk. Miminalist landscape is my style. (Or minimalist anything, really.)
MwjavVA.jpg

Considering turning back at this point. It gets exceedingly precipitous and rugged with each step. I keep thinking maybe after this point the path will be less dangerous. Vertiginous slope below.
gZkiUTF.jpg

Nope, wrong. That's where the route ends, the black lava way down there. Trail becomes very small and perilous. The wind picks up fast, and no shade anywhere, nothing to grip or hang on to.
g9sN8tf.jpg

We start to doubt if it's even an official walking route as there's hardly any marking, at least very minimal, or they are faded/hidden from view. Finally, the trail marking. It's an official route after all. All the while seeing no other walker. It's not a popular walk and now we know why.
MGOuJlb.jpg

I abandon all interest in photography here. Put the camera away and concentrate on where I have to put my feet.
85hYUT7.jpg

It's not worth risking one's life walking this route. We walk 5 hours non stop in the baking sun. But guess what, the worst thing is not the way down, it's that you have to walk all the way back up. No option but to back track as there's no road and no transport. Luckily we remember seeing a path with tyre tracks on it somewhere along the way. We take this path and walk all the way back to the nearest sealed road. Turns out, farmers use this path to reach their farms or where they have beehive boxes. It takes longer than the steep, dangerous trail but we can walk faster without fear.
6EbLGpz.jpg

After what seems like a long time we finally see a house. The area is sparsely populated.
7OOOpFY.jpg

Later we tell the lodging owners about the walk they know it's horrible, too. They are avid walkers themselves and won't walk this route again. Good to have some wine and food to calm our nerves.
tACi2Y4.jpg

Leftover octopus and prawns in mojo picante (spicy sauce). Pickled beetroots/carrots.
8AnOXNf.jpg

Watching the glorious sun go down
aHprFCh.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Wow, @BonVivant !

I don't like heights and just LOOKING at your photos was enough to make my knees shaky. 🫣

Am full of admiration for you and partner for PERSISTING with that hike.

Ooh la la, I'm going to have to lie down and REST.

Bet the wine was really tasty!

• Like 4

Another easy walk but the last part is only suitable for mules or ponies.

On this street that leads to the start of a few trails you might notice these signs on the foot path, some are deliberately painted a little on the side so you can see them from the other side of the street.
ul8OBxJ.jpg

kxy0ZDU.jpg

And some are painted completely on the kerb like this. Easy to spot.
VSvGeHr.jpg

The terrain changes all the time. This is a big mass of lava, a big chunk of it has been removed so you don't have to climb over to the other side of the trail.
VFNmUht.jpg

Many people have this pretty, bee-attracting plant in their gardens. They are also everywhere in the wild.
0TJImW2.jpg

Almost near the end now. I put the camera away and give all my attention to the walking. Tiny, rough trail completely covered in pine needles. The needles are slippery underfoot, especially when going down. Using my walking stick I can brush some needles aside to find a firm rock to land on. It goes pretty much like this all the way down.
u3jKqaL.jpg

r5gTiIB.jpg

And across the street from the bus stop... A cheese maker with own goats. Unfortunately, I can't risk missing the bus back to the village, which comes in a couple of minutes.
xRKAqFm.jpg

8b02JbD.jpg

Back in Los Canarios village. The town hall.
DxAnTkO.jpg

The main street.
q0QPrf3.jpg

Traditional balconies are all made of wood, and wood ceilings inside the house. The 2 main construction materials that are readily available are lava and woods.
0DaV2Pl.jpg

blRdyeL.jpg

Across the street from my lodging. The owners' traditional Palmeran home.
NmSrOmx.jpg

WMVBa2V.jpg

The little roof with tiles is actually the air vent directly above the cook top in my kitchen. I see that pine tree every waking hour in the house.
H6rLZRw.jpg

A cat comes round every morning. She likes to hold a staring contest with me.
fp80VI3.jpg

She comes running and meowing when I go outside. Likes to press her head against my hand. Not sure if it's a sign of affection or just spreading scent.
VNtSn3S.jpg

The only sparkling wines here are Codorniu and Freixinet...
N65379h.jpg

Linguine with chickpeas and chorizo
PSO8D4D.jpg

@TdeV, I'm also afraid of height, but guess not as much as you. I've enjoyed jumping out of a plane a few times, strapped to a professional, of course. (Thanks!)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2