• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with an Air Fryer

mgaretz

19 minutes ago, palo said:

Canadian Company:

https://mccain.ca/en/always-together/

p

Amused me when @mgaretz asked if we could find McCains in Canada. I've always pictured New Brunswick as owned by the McCains and the Irvings. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Lately I have been buying the McCain's fries.  Only take 5 minutes and are quite good.  Not sure if you can find them in Canada.

Their headquarters is about 90 minutes up the road from me, in fact. You know when you're near Florenceville, because it smells of french fries for miles around.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2055F50D-8B84-4C5C-AC54-B97BDBF3ADDC.thumb.jpeg.c325754479af77278831a83642548750.jpeg

Wings in the Cosori air fryer. 400°F for 17 minutes. These are so minuscule that it’s hardly worth even cooking them. I have to order online and there is no way of determining what size wings might show up. They were still very good but I would like some larger ones. I prefer my wings unsauced. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N - as an aside - who do you order from? I do Walmart, $7.95 delivery charge, it would cost me more than that in gas - the other option I have is Zehrs which uses InstantCart they don't honor sale prices and prices may go up if the item you want will be substituted - they do have faster delivery (1 hour and 2 hour) - I like Walmart though because it seems more straight forward

p

• Thanks 1

I've been having fun with the air fryer.  I cooked a pork tenderloin the other day and have also made grilled cheese sandwiches a few times for lunch.  I do those on broil, and they are fantastic.  I'm keeping track of the temperature, times and settings I've used as well as other people's who have posted theirs.

• Like 2

87DD6B8D-90A3-41F0-BB52-2C15B4A5A23B.thumb.jpeg.7884b5a9e5592fdd0c6346ac840dda28.jpeg

Shake ‘n Bake pork chop in air fryer. 400°F for 15 minutes with a flip half way through. Side of sautéed asparagus. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Taking a page from Anna N's book, I bought some Johnsonville brats and cooked them in the Ninja using the grill mode instead of the air fryer mode.  Use the Lo setting which is 400F and cooked them for 11 minutes.  They came out fine!

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Has anyone ever made granola in their air fryer?

Not me. I don’t even like granola but if Google is to be trusted people do indeed make it in the air fryer. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I did a one kilogram lamb rack cut in half at 400f for 12 minutes.  Perfect and a nice ‘roasted’ taste to it.  No mess.

I love my air fryer.

That is very impressive. When you say cut in half do you mean that you cooked both halves at the same time?  Did you do any sort of a prep?  I think I am correct in believing that you have a basket type air fryer?

My 2004 eG Blog

I cooked both together…had to jam them in a bit.   Bone side down.  I salted them well in the am and then smeared some herb butter on top before cooking.  I have a basket air fryer..Philips.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have done another couple of meals in the Ninja SP101, but thought I'd post THIS experiment on this thread: Portuguese Custard Tarts. I've made the recipe often but thought I'd try in the Ninja.
Googled recipe and instructions said 425F for 9 minutes on Air Fry. That didn't cut it. The pastry got barely golden.
Turned to Air Bake, 425 for 15 minutes per original recipe for the regular oven, and had to add another 5 minutes for the caramelized tops. Worth the wait

Custard Tart 7626.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Worth the wait

I’ll be right over! They do look delicious. One of my very favourite sweets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N: Here's the recipe I use:

Portuguese Custard Tarts (Pasteis de Nata)

Servings: 12 commercial tart shells

For the Sugar Syrup:

• ¾ cup white sugar

• ¼ cup water + 1 tablespoon water

• 1 cinnamon stick (Optional) 1 lemon, zested in large strips (Optional)

For the Custard Base:

• ⅓ cup all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon salt

• 1 ½ cups milk 6 large egg yolks 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Optional)

Directions

Sugar Syrup:

• Combine sugar, 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, cinnamon, and lemon zest in a pot. Boil over medium heat, without stirring, until syrup reaches 210 to 215 degrees F (100 degrees C) on candy thermometer. Remove from heat.

• Preheat oven 425 degrees F Place rack in middle of the oven.

• Whisk flour, salt, and cold milk together very thoroughly in a cold pot. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until milk just thickens, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for at least 10 minutes.

Whisk egg yolks into the cooled milk. Add the sugar syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Strain custard into a glass measuring cup.

• Take tart shells out of freezer. I put them into a muffin tin WITH the tin foil.

Fill each cup 3/4 of the way with custard.

Bake in the preheated oven until the pastry is browned and bubbly, and the tops start to blister and caramelize, about 12 -15 minutes. Cool tarts briefly and serve warm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Those tarts look amazing.  I love Portuguese tarts.  I've copied the recipe so I can make them.

I'm doing sweet potatoes right now and they will be followed by a whole chicken.  Hope they turn out.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, palo said:

Nice looking mat!

Oh and the chicken looks okay too 😛

What time and temp did you use?

p

I had it in the air fryer for 50 minutes @ 350F on roast.  It was really good, but the poor wings were a bit, a lot actually, overdone.  I think 45 minutes might have been enough.

• Like 1

668DA1DC-4B52-4295-BCA1-68B820FC8504.thumb.jpeg.98bad2c05220eae22fa53e32c576c953.jpeg

McCain super fries in the air fryer cooked according to the package directions. Without a word of exaggeration these are the worst fries I have ever had.   They are unevenly but mostly over-cooked, dry and tasteless. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

They are unevenly but mostly over-cooked, dry and tasteless. 

The stores here don't carry Superfries, but I've had lots of fries that fit that description.  It may not matter so much if the fries are being deep-fried, but for the air fryer the manufacturer needs to get the right amount of crisping agent on the fries and the right amount of oil in the fries.

• Like 1

I saw the picture before I read your comment, but my first thought was "dry" and I can easily see why you would add over-cooked and tasteless to the description - did you perchance spritz them with a little oil/pam prior to cooking? I find that sometimes helps

p

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, palo said:

I saw the picture before I read your comment, but my first thought was "dry" and I can easily see why you would add over-cooked and tasteless to the description - did you perchance spritz them with a little oil/pam prior to cooking? I find that sometimes helps

p

No, as I said, I followed the directions on the package. 

My 2004 eG Blog